JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Corrupted .rmir files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Corrupted .rmir files Reply with quote

As a new user as I've been learning I've been saving multiple iterations of my config so I can revert if I need to.

More than once I've been unable to load an earlier .rmir. Not a big deal, but I was wondering if there's a known issue I need to be careful about.

It's an AR-branded Xsight Color if that matters. The error I get is:

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd have to look at your RMIR file. The rmaster.err file also has some clues.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I / should I upload them? How?

As I said, not a big deal. The one it choked on now was the final save I did last night after uploading it to the Xsight. I just plugged it in again, downloaded the config, and re-saved it, and that .rmir seems fine - but there was an error logged in rmaster.err upon loading:
Code:
Malformed setup code ???? at 20bd
devices.xcf hex = 00....

The .rmir that produced the error appeared to fail on loading the macros section.

To further complicate things, that file loaded without error this time. So it's inconsistent - and I couldn't retrieve that error because it appears rmaster.err is reinitialized every time, rather than being appended.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please load both the .err file and the .rmir file. To do so, first follow the file section link at the top of this page, then scroll down to and click on the Diagnosis Area, once in that folder, use the Upload link near the top of the page. Once the file is loaded, click on the File Section link again, and again scroll down to the Diagnosis Area link, and you'll see a link to your file over to the right. Copy/paste that link here.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this happens during upload/download, but that really drains the batteries, and the remote starts doing weird things when the batteries get low.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully did this correctly, I couldn't see any links to the right in the list, so I just right-clicked and copied the urls:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26064
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26063

Maybe I should have zipped them into single file first? Also wasn't sure how (or if) to fill out all the fields.

Thanks!
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Not sure if this happens during upload/download, but that really drains the batteries, and the remote starts doing weird things when the batteries get low.

This is just during loading the .rmir file, regardless of whether the remote is actually plugged in (I tried it both ways, not knowing if it would matter).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
Hopefully did this correctly, I couldn't see any links to the right in the list...

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with the rmir file that you have posted. Is it always the same file that you are loading, or are you updating it by downloading and saving again between load attempts? I can think of no reason why the same file can sometimes load correctly and other times give an error, but as mdavej has pointed out, if the batteries are low then a download may fail and give a corrupt .rmir file.

The message "Malformed setup code ???? at 20bd" is an information message for diagnostic purposes that may or may not indicate an error. In your case it is not an error. It occurs because you have a device, "My ANTHEM", composed entirely of learned signals and such devices do not have a setup code. You will see on the General tab that the setup code for for that device is blank.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Is it always the same file that you are loading, or are you updating it by downloading and saving again between load attempts

This. I have about 10 different versions probably.

As I said, it's inconsistent. When the load failed yesterday - which was a copy of my last save from the night before - I connected my remote, performed another upload, and that .rmir was fine.

But then - here's the inconsistent part - I then tried again to load the same .rmir that produced that error (that I screen-shot), and it loaded fine. So maybe it's a Windows glitch? I dunno.

And, as I noted apparently rmaster.err gets reinitialized/overwritten with each load. So no tracing back to that error.

It seems to occur every so often - if it does so again, I'll make sure to upload that copy of rmaster.err. But again, really not a big deal.

I don't think it's anything to do with the batteries, as I said, I haven't gotten any errors uploading/downloading to the remote, only opening an .rmir. Also, mdavej gave me a heads-up early on that the Xsight goes through batteries pretty quickly, so I made sure to have a supply of rechargeables at the ready Wink

Oh, I see what you mean about the link to the latest file. I was going into the forum file list itself. Seems to be the same link?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
Oh, I see what you mean about the link to the latest file. I was going into the forum file list itself. Seems to be the same link?

What are you calling the "forum file list"? If you go to the file section, using the link at the top of the page, then scroll down to the forum in question (in this case, the Diagnosis Area), you will see the latest file over to the right. So, if you do this moments after loading your file, you should be able to get the link.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
chileboy wrote:

What are you calling the "forum file list"? If you go to the file section, using the link at the top of the page, then scroll down to the forum in question (in this case, the Diagnosis Area), you will see the latest file over to the right. So, if you do this moments after loading your file, you should be able to get the link.

I mean if you go to the File Section and then click on "Diagnosis Area", there's list of every upload.

Anyway, it I've reproduced the error. The rmaster.err and the .rmir are here (I stupidly gave them the same name, I am sorry about that - I'll be more careful next time Embarassed ):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26065
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26066
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new files are not for the same setup as the previous ones. I don't know which of your setups you want to use, as I see that this one is numbered 6 and the one you posted earlier is numbered 8, which appears to be a later version. Anyway, I have found the source of the problem. In your Anthem device upgrade you have a function whose name is \, the backslash character. That character has special meaning in Java strings, it is the escape character and using it as a function name on its own caused RMIR to crash.

I will fix this in the next release of RMIR, but in the meantime you need to edit the .rmir file to change the name. If you have a text editor with line numbers, it is at line 5515. If you don't, then search for "name=\". In either case, just change the \ to a different name and save the file. It should then open without a problem in RMIR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
I mean if you go to the File Section and then click on "Diagnosis Area", there's list of every upload.

Ah, I see what you did, yeah, I didn't say to click on the Diagnosis Area folder, just to scroll down to it (see below). So anyway, now you know how to do it.

The Robman wrote:
Yes, please load both the .err file and the .rmir file. To do so, first follow the file section link at the top of this page, then scroll down to and click on the Diagnosis Area, once in that folder, use the Upload link near the top of the page. Once the file is loaded, click on the File Section link again, and again scroll down to the Diagnosis Area link, and you'll see a link to your file over to the right. Copy/paste that link here.

chileboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Your new files are not for the same setup as the previous ones. I don't know which of your setups you want to use, as I see that this one is numbered 6 and the one you posted earlier is numbered 8, which appears to be a later version. Anyway, I have found the source of the problem. In your Anthem device upgrade you have a function whose name is \, the backslash character. That character has special meaning in Java strings, it is the escape character and using it as a function name on its own caused RMIR to crash.

I will fix this in the next release of RMIR, but in the meantime you need to edit the .rmir file to change the name. If you have a text editor with line numbers, it is at line 5515. If you don't, then search for "name=\". In either case, just change the \ to a different name and save the file. It should then open without a problem in RMIR.

Oh, ok, I get it. I don't appear to have a function with a backslash, nor do I remember doing that intentionally, so maybe I inadvertently included it in a name before that save. Fumble-fingered typing.

Anyway, as you surmised, I don't really need that earlier version any longer...but now I know what not to do!

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: