JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is anybody still manufacturing/selling JP(X) remotes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Is anybody still manufacturing/selling JP(X) remotes? Reply with quote

I thought I'd search around and see what's new in "universal remote-world" and was somewhat surprised to find that OFA is basically gone - just making replacement single-device remotes, and that besides Logitech, there's really nobody left in the "typical homeowner" universal remote game, and even those look like the same models they had 10 years ago!

If that's the case, what is the future for these tools and this site? (I note that OFA's EZ-RC site has been discontinued for XSight support, and, in fact, has a pointer to THIS forum if someone stumbles on there looking for support!)

Are we a vanishing species?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common remote now is the OARUAB04G, which is on Amazon for $18. This remote comes with a USB cable that you can use as a JP1 cable.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still seem to be selling universal remotes in the UK, see this link. I hope they continue as long as I am around, else I will have to look for a new hobby Wink .
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range looks similar on the US site:
https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/products

And don't forget that "Acoustic Research" took over the OFA brand, so look for their remotes too, like the Xsight, Nevo, etc
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The range looks similar on the US site:
https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/products

And don't forget that "Acoustic Research" took over the OFA brand, so look for their remotes too, like the Xsight, Nevo, etc

Well, the XSight specifically is listed as discontinued with a number of retailers. I guess maybe the Nevo is still a going concern (looks like a relabeled XSight).

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Nevo was discontinued too. They obviously dumped a TON of them in China because we could buy them for under $20 shipped (from China) for a long time, until the supply ran out.

But you are right, compared to the old days when you could buy JP1 remotes at Radio Shack RIP, Best Buy and Circuit City, things are quite dry these days. But UEI is still making OEM remotes as we still get quite a few requests for new RDFs for such remotes.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the Inteset 422-3 and One-For-All urc-7880.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and the URC-7935
bluto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the recommendation for the Inteset 422-3. They are nice remotes and the Firestick IR adapter that they sell is a clever accessory.

https://universalremotes.net/
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any current new remotes with both toadtog and fast macros? I haven't found any.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Are there any current new remotes with both toadtog and fast macros? I haven't found any.

No. All new remotes are JP1.4 or later that have a segment structure . Extenders for these have to be written in a very different way from those of JP1.3 and earlier remotes. As far as I know, I am the only person who has written such an extender, and the only non-specialized one is that for the URC-6440 and its US counterpart the OARUSB04G and due to limitations in the firmware of those remotes, it does not have fast macros. (The specialized ones are those to extend the Bluetooth facilities of the URC7980 and related remotes.)
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Lurker wrote:

No. All new remotes are JP1.4 or later that have a segment structure . Extenders for these have to be written in a very different way from those of JP1.3 and earlier remotes. As far as I know, I am the only person who has written such an extender, and the only non-specialized one is that for the URC-6440 and its US counterpart the OARUSB04G and due to limitations in the firmware of those remotes, it does not have fast macros. (The specialized ones are those to extend the Bluetooth facilities of the URC7980 and related remotes.)

Thank you Graham for confirming my fear. These two features are essential for me. Sadly that means my only source of replacement remotes now is used on Ebay (which is risky).

Can anyone comment on the durability of various used remotes? Which models are most likely to still function properly used?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Is anybody still manufacturing/selling JP(X) remotes? Reply with quote

I found this INSIGINA 098GRABDNNEBYU - INSIGNIA NS-RC02U-10A
I ordered two they should arive today
There is an extender for it

https://www.remotecontrols.com/product/098GRABDNNEBYU.html
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Is anybody still manufacturing/selling JP(X) remotes? Reply with quote

Update they sent wrong remote so i will be returning them
they do not have what they advertise so not worth dealing with them
bluto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Insignia remote is a rebranded Inteset 422. No doubt they just tweaked a few of the button labels and defaulted the TV device to the Insignia code. Other than that it probably behaves identically to 422 that you can buy online.

I bought mine direct from the OEM on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inteset-4-in-1-Universal-Backlit-IR-Learning-Remote-for-use-with-Nvidia-Shield/332354723264?epid=1438176453&hash=item4d61e29dc0:g:E6MAAOSwsGpbxlJn
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: