JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to convert an upgrade to Pronto hex codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Best way to convert an upgrade to Pronto hex codes? Reply with quote

so regular readers of my posts (that's a joke, son, I know I drop in every couple years or so) may recall that the way I ended up here was kind of backing into it because I purchased a Luxman TP-117 tuner/preamp at a thrift store for $25 and ended up needing to make the leap to JP1 in the form of an Xsight Color to make it work, as a) I needed it to verify the codes and b) I ended up keeping it as I couldn't convince Logitech to even do what I wanted (they wouldn't even consider using two different logical devices for the TP-117, but there was literally no way to use the full capabilities of the original remote without at least splitting off "Tape 2" as its own device. Long story. The capabilities of that unit are amazing for 1990 - and in an odd synchronicity I just received a few days ago an original accessory remote IR sensor for it, so now I'll be able to use its Zone 2 capabilities if I ever desire to do so.)

So now I'm in a similar situation again. My housemate has an old Sony receiver and the Harmony program for it is fatally flawed. For whatever reason the Harmony program thinks that AM and FM are commands, whereas the actual input is Tuner and there's an AM/FM toggle. So my original thought to dust off an old Harmony from my junk box and program it it to work in the living room was a failure. Radio capabilities are important to me as I am an NPR junkie. So, much like the rabbit hole I went down a few years ago, I programmed an Xsight to control it instead, and have managed to create a program for the receiver, TV, and BDP, as well as documenting a few of my own pieces that are kicking around that I never got around to making upgrades for.

I sent a spreadsheet to Logitech tech support with the info that I used to create the upgrades, but they're telling me that they need the info in Pronto hex format. Now I am as you probably have guessed completely sold on my Xsights and wouldn't trade them for the word, but I actually don't mind sharing my work with Logitech because it'll help people probably even more than my posting upgrades here does.

So, the question. What's the easiest way to convert the info that I have into Pronto hex to email back to Logitech so they can push this out to all their users?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRScrutinizer
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured, is there a how to out there somewhere?

I also think I need to upgrade my copy
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of documentation on the Harctoolbox website where you download it. But the help is pretty general. You really have to learn it through trial and error and practice.

The quick answer is:
- Export tab, Export Format "Text", checkbox "Pronto Hex"
- Import tab, RemoteMaster, browse for file, Load File
- Import all/param
- Export button
- Export tab, Open Last File

If the RM file is complex and the import doesn't go smoothly, you have to dig in and fix it up manually or break it up into multiple parts if it's a combo protocol.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is going to take a while.

I remember that this is a combo protocol, but I can't remember which one.

I had RM installed on my corporate laptop, but it keeps deleting Java. I guess I need to either install this on my Linux machine or build another Windows machine before I can do anything with this.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the spreadsheet you sent Logitech. Sort it by OBC and group by device and subdevice. Then instead of using the Import tab, go to Generate and enter the data. For several function numbers (OBCs) at once, say for 000-255, enter "0..255" and click Export. When you open last, it will have all 256 codes. But you will have to name them appropriately according to your spreadsheet.

A simpler way would be to just have GlobalCache email you the codes:
https://irdb.globalcache.com/

You'll need to register and log in there.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short guide on how to import RM files in IrScrutinizer. But it is by its nature not really complete. Graham is working on a new export facility for RM, that will create Girr files that can be read directly by IrScrutinizer. Unfortunately not yet released, but available in the version management system SVN.

But if you want to import your spreadsheet, first export it in CSV format, using, for example the comma as separator. The use the Import / Text/CSV /Parametrized pane, fill in the column numbers compatible with the export you just perfomed, the separator and the radix (like if you were importing a CSV file in Excel).

Yet another method is to go to Scrutinize remote / Parametric remote. Reorder the column in that table and/or your spreadsheet program to coincide, copy to clipboard in the spreadsheet program (or in RM's function table), and paste it into IrScrutinizer's table.

Finally, export as (for example) "Text" with Pronto Hex checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: