JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Programming a Sony upgrade with at least three devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Programming a Sony upgrade with at least three devices? Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

I received in the mail yesterday a remote for my housemate's Sony receiver so I went back to work on this upgrade, as there was some stuff missing (most notably a seek up and seek down button for the tuner; however, that wasn't on the original remote either! But I got those codes off of sony-master and they work)

Here's the problem. The upgrade that I first found for this receiver uses Sony 12/15 protocol with Devices 16 and 13. However, some functions didn't work and when I learned them, they showed up as "Sony15" protocol with Device 144.

Suggestions welcome how to deal with this. I'm going to upload the upgrade and the associated spreadsheet that I've been using in a moment so you can look at it.

Edit: all files are here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25944

thanks!
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Programming a Sony upgrade with at least three devices? Reply with quote

Im no expert but From what i can tell you should be able to make the upgrade with sony 12/15/20 combo
From the sony protacal notes
Sony Combo (12/15/20) allows you to combine as many Sony12 and Sony15 codes as you like with up to 4 Sony20 devices.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up: I think I've fixed it. After a bunch of reading the "Sony Combo 12/15/20" protocol will allow me to use 3 devices even if none of them are Sony 20. So I've been redoing this upgrade.

Question: is there any harm in leaving some functions unassigned to buttons? I'm running out of soft keys, and was thinking of not programming any for, say, Discrete On or Discrete Off even though those are used in macros.

Edit: doesn't seem to work. My Power Off macro no longer works after not assigning Discrete Off to any button. Is there a workaround? I'm already having to cull buttons out of this upgrade.

Edit #2: even adding them back in, my macros are all still broken as they apparently are tied to the button e.g. "Soft 1" not the function. Correct?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some upgrades with 400 functions, only a few of which are assigned to buttons.

When you run out of soft keys, you need to split large upgrades into multiple devices. For example, I treat my 3 zone AVR like 3 separate devices because there are far more functions than available buttons.

Anytime you move button/function assignments around, your macros will break. But macros always use the underlying buttons, not functions. You must first assign the function you want to a button, then use the button in the macro. If you change any of the assignments, the macro will keep pointing to the button that used to have that function. You have to remove any steps that point to functions you moved and add them back.

See vicky's upgrade for an example of how to handle a Sony combo:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14623
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what I thought. I'm going to have to put some thought into this, maybe split off all the tuner related stuff so that it can be associated with the Tuner function and then the DSP stuff. Maybe "hide" the input selections. This is an AVR but a very old one, the only time i've had to use multiple devices for one physical device before was with my Luxman TP-117 because it could control two tape decks, so I had to make Tape 2 its own device so that the play/stop/pause etc. buttons would work.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitting off the Tuner and DSP is a good idea. But you can also have an "every day" device with just the major, most commonly used functions and another device with all the other, less often used functions. Just because your device has 200 functions doesn't mean you have to put them all in whatever upgrades you use. AVRs especially, which can have several hundred functions, can get out of hand if you don't try to limit your upgrades to just the functions you think you'll use in this lifetime.

The beauty of Macros is they can use functions from ANY device. You'll never in a million years press the Discrete On button. You'd press the Power Toggle button if you're operating your AVR manually. But you'll probably use it in all your macros. So just tuck it away in a different device upgrade.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I just have to plan my moves here...

I have to admit I've never programmed an AVR on an Xsight before. I started on a Denon 3310ci and honestly got overwhelmed and quit and just used a Harmony, with the original remote being brought out whenever I needed to redo the Audyssey setup due to speaker or configuration changes. 80s-90s audio only stuff is way easier, although I'm using DVD players and BDPs for disc spinners on my audio rigs so my OCD makes me program in all those functions as well. (DVD players that will play back SACD, DVD-A, HDCD etc. are actually easier to find and cheaper than non-video players with the same capabilities as the latter tend to be expensive and somewhat pretentious "audiophile" pieces.)

I will probably be posting a few upgrade files here soon as I also have two new to me DVD players that I might as well document while i'm doing this exercise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: