JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Learned Signals using too much space

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Learned Signals using too much space Reply with quote

I have used a INT-422-3 to learn the signals from a remote for a device I own.

All signals where captured and the JP1 remote can replicate every button the original remote has.

After downloading the data from the remote into RMIR, I have noticed that the 42 captured buttons are now using almost half (1470) of my remote's available memory.

I have found a device upgrade for the same set of buttons I had just captured in the File Section, the .rmdu I downloaded however, with the same set of buttons, uses only a fraction (10) of the size of my capture.

How can I use the leaning function of my remote to generate device upgrades that have a small memory footprint?

Thank you.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a recent version of RMIR, the Learned Signals tab will have a button labelled "Convert to Device Upgrade". If the signals all show decodes, simply select them all, press that button and follow any instructions it gives.

If you don't have this button, please upgrade to the current version of RMIR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miogs, you have basically just discovered the main point of JP1. The learning memory in most JP1 remotes was just intended to "fill in the gaps" (ie, you learn any buttons that are missing from the built in setup codes), it's generally not enough memory to learn every button for every device, but that's where JP1 comes into play. Device upgrades do indeed use up WAY less memory than learned signals.

As Graham just mentioned, there is a "Convert to Device Upgrade" button in RMIR now, but even before that we were all using learned signals to make upgrades, that's how come we have over 5,000 files in the Device Upgrade section here.
miogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

Thank you for your responses.

I have used the "Convert to Device Upgrade" functionality and generated a .rmdu file with the device's buttons mapped to my INT-422-3 remote.

Then I deleted the learned signals from the remote.

After all that, the captured signals, when deployed as a device upgrade, use only 82 of the memory. Good memory usage savings.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: