JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to expect (ReplayTV5040 & DTT-901)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
st5000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: What to expect (ReplayTV5040 & DTT-901) Reply with quote

Hi...

I've been trying to control a DTT-901 from my Replay 5040 and have had no luck. At worst, I'm using the wrong IR dongle.

So, what can I expect during testing?

Is there a way to determine if the new DTT-901 codes have been installed into the ReplayTV5040?

Why do most HOWTOs say to use remote code set 1000, but the text on the DTT-901 files (that some nice person created and posted here at hifi-remote.com: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5474) say "Blaster code 2900"?

Should I be able to change the DTT-901 channel using the ReplayTV remote (i.e. shouldn't, while watching live TV, the ReplayTV remote command get translated and retransmitted out the IR dongle and change the DTT-901 tuner to the desired channel)?

...thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, for those like me that were wondering what a DTT-901 is, it's an "LG Insignia/Zenith DTT900 Digital Converter Box".
st5000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Just FYI, for those like me that were wondering what a DTT-901 is, it's an "LG Insignia/Zenith DTT900 Digital Converter Box".

From the looks of it, people here have this set up working. I just wanted to know what to expect so I could start to de-bug my equipment (i.e. changing channels while watching live TV on the ReplayTV does not change the channels on the DTT for me ... I've tried remote code 1000 and tried, as suggested here, remote code 2900 ... but there is no such code after the ReplayTV remote code upgrade I did!!!).

...thanks
st5000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

Is there anyone who has done this (added IR codes from the JP1 site to a Replaytv 5000 to control a Set Top Box) that frequents this forum?

I was looking for descriptions of what to expect.

I read this on the V4L list and it captures the general idea of support:
Quote:
Developers are in short supply. Users tend to just ask their particular question and never return. So unanswered support questions are the unfortunate consequence. (A lot of users seem to expect a lot too --- some how I think that they may have an image of an elf workshop, were developers go about working for no other apparent reason then just to produce drivers)

In light of this, I was looking for a way to monitor threads w/autonomous e-mail notices. I don't mind coming back after resolving a problem and answering questions. Actually, I think that's the fun part of all this. Is that feature available in these forums?

(Oh, I see it now, the option is available when you post. I had expected to find it while reading other people's posts.)

...thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What to expect (ReplayTV5040 & DTT-901) Reply with quote

Unlike some other forums, we do have a dedicated crew of experts here in the JP1 forums, many of whom have been here since 2000 when we started. However, most of these experts are experts with remote controls, very few of them have had any experience with ReplayTV. The only reason that there is an overlap with ReplayTV is that the chip used in the early boxes (ie, the 2000 and 3000 series, including Showstoppers) was made by the same company (UEI) that makes the chips in our remotes. Therefore, the JP1 tools can be used (after we modified them for this purpose) to create OBJ files for these early ReplayTV units.

JP1 isn't used in the creation of the RID files used in the later ReplayTV models (ie, 4000 and 5000 series) but we allow the files to be stored here anyway, just to keep everything in one place.

So, bottom line, you're not going to find too many people here that know anything about adding codes to ReplayTV boxes. You'll have better luck asking over in the AVS forums, and I've included links to the two main threads on this topic over there in the intro post here.

When you do ask questions, it's best to include as much info as possible and don't assume that people know the devices that you're talking about or the threads that you're referring to.

For example...
st5000 wrote:
I've been trying to control a DTT-901 from my Replay 5040 and have had no luck. At worst, I'm using the wrong IR dongle.

I had no idea what a DTT-901 was, so I had to do some research to find out, most people won't bother, so it's better to spell it out.

st5000 wrote:
Why do most HOWTOs say to use remote code set 1000, but the text on the DTT-901 file says "Blaster code 2900"?

I don't know anything about any HOWTOs on this subject, and I don't have the time to search for them, so you would need to post links to the HOWTOs that you are referring to. It's quite possible that the HOWTOs also tell you how to create the RID file and they probably also tell you to use blaster code 1000, just to keep the instructions simple. However, the person who create the RID file that you linked to (KenL) decided to use blaster code 2900, but that was his choice, he could have used 1000 if he had wanted to.

st5000 wrote:
Should I be able to change the DTT-901 channel using the ReplayTV remote (i.e. shouldn't, while watching live TV, the ReplayTV remote command get translated and retransmitted out the IR dongle and change the DTT-901 tuner to the desired channel)?

If you have successfully added the code in question, and have correctly assigned it in the ReplayTV setup screen, then yes.

st5000 wrote:
I read this on the V4L list and it captures the general idea of support:

Again, most of us here don't know what a "V4L list" is, so you would need to post a URL for it.

Some additional info, for anyone else following this. Here is the JP1 upgrade file for the DTT900:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5491

It uses NEC1 with device code 247. The equivalent "One For All" setup codes are CBL 0414, 1414, 1415 and VCR 2010.
st5000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, then off to the AVS forums I'll go....

V4L is video4linux. This group of developers support all types of video hardware for the linux OS.

The "use 1000 code" is posted in threads here (if I am thinking straight today). But on the download page here (for the pre-made ReplayTV files) for the DTT901 the text says to use 2900. However, I didn't see a 2900 code on the ReplayTV list after performing the upgrade.

The DTT901 is a Set Top Digital TV (ATSC => NTSC) converter box branded under the Zenith and LuckyGoldstar names.

The object here is to make use of the NTSC based ReplayTV PVR after the switch over to all OTA ATSC broadcasting by controlling a Set Top Converter Box from the ReplayTV unit.

...thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to help fill in the blanks for others who, like myself, don't know anything about this, I did some searching.

I found the following home page for V4L:
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

I found the "developers are in short supply" post here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg39390.html

The post he's responding to is here:
http://n2.nabble.com/weeding-out-v4l-ver-1-stuff-td1466504.html

I found the "use 1000 code" reference here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67534#67534

That step came from the guide to creating a new RID from an RMDU file, the actual line is ...

10) Click "Save" in RIDGen, and save as C1000fi.rid (for cable code 1000 - if you change the code number, the file name will be different)

As it says, if you change the code number the file name will be different. The guy who created the DTT900 file decided to use SAT/2900 and as such there is a file in his zip called "S2900fi.rid" and there's a reference to this file in the "shellcmds" file.

st5000 wrote:
The object here is to make use of the NTSC based ReplayTV PVR after the switch over to all OTA ATSC broadcasting by controlling a Set Top Converter Box from the ReplayTV unit.

That is also the subject here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008500
karlk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st5000 wrote:
But on the download page here (for the pre-made ReplayTV files) for the DTT901 the text says to use 2900. However, I didn't see a 2900 code on the ReplayTV list after performing the upgrade.

The DTT901 is a Set Top Digital TV (ATSC => NTSC) converter box branded under the Zenith and LuckyGoldstar names.

The Robman wrote:
The guy who created the DTT900 file decided to use SAT/2900 and as such there is a file in his zip called "S2900fi.rid" and there's a reference to this file in the "shellcmds" file.

Isn't the likely disconnect, here, that the user is looking in the wrong place for code 2900? Given that the RID file for code 2900 was created as S2900fi.rid, for a Satellite box, wouldn't it only be found under the "Satellite box" branch of the input setup procedure? I expect the user was trying to find it under the "Digital Cable box" or "Analog Cable box" input selections, instead.

edit: As for why the RID's author opted to classify it as a Satellite box, it is likely because they wanted to leverage the DirecTV channel listings for tuning the OTA DTV converter. (as described here, for another DTV model)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: