JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using new fire tv remote od Windows 10 PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aleksej

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Using new fire tv remote od Windows 10 PC Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to pair the new Fire TV remote (the one with volume control buttons) with my Asus T-100TA win10 PC to control KODI witch I use in the kitchen or while we go on a vacation. The old Fire TV remote (from Fire TV 4K) work only partialy and don't have the volume buttons.

The problem is I can't pair the new remote, it appears while adding a new bluetooth device screen as an AR controller, but has an error while pairing. I've tried to pair it with na new Dell laptop but had the same problem. I did however maneged to pair it with a Samsung android phone! all the buttons worked. I think there is a problem with Win10 bluetooth drivers, but I have no idea how to change them or what to look for.

The new Fire TV remote would be perfect for my Asus PC, it's small, has grat buttons and everything I want with a remote, and right now I'm not using it (I control my Fire TV via CEC protocol and a Harmony One remote).

Any help on how to pair the FTV remote witch a PC would be great.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These PC's accept IR commands? The Fire tv remotes with volume keys are for controlling tv via IR, it only controls the fire stick by bluetooth.
aleksej

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On android phones without any IR receivers the remote pairs without a problem and volume controls work fine. The Fire Stick 4K remote must be capable of sending both bluetooth and ir for volume and power on/off.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksej wrote:
I think there is a problem with Win10 bluetooth drivers, but I have no idea how to change them or what to look for.

This could be the same problem that I had with the Bluetooth-enabled UEI remotes URC-7980/7955/7880. These remotes are not fully compliant with the Bluetooth standard. They are designed only to work with the UEI Android phone app and will not work with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack of Win10. The issue concerns something called a Client Characteristic Configuration Descriptor (CCCD). Despite its long name, this is just a Boolean-valued attribute. It is mandatory in the Bluetooth standard but is actually of little significance. It is missing in the UEI remotes. The Microsoft stack aborts due to its absence, the Android stack apparently ignores its absence and continues to run perfectly happily.

Your Fire Stick remote is also designed to work only with the Fire Stick device and may suffer a similar lack. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. In the case of the UEI remotes, I was able to write a special extender for them that added the missing CCCD. In my implementation the Boolean value of this attribute did nothing, but its presence was enough to allow the Win 10 Bluetooth stack to work.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar remote that plugs into USB and works well with Kodi:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3BKTQP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(note that most of the negative reviews are complaining about button mapping on Android boxes, which is indeed true - works fine with Windows)
aleksej

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon - You could be right, but if the CCCD is missing from the fire tv remote then if I'm correct it would not pair with win 10. Today I paired it first with the Huawei android phone and then I was able to pair it with win10 Dell laptop. The problem is that none of the keys do anything, but in bluetooth setting I have a device named AR and it is paired.

Any ideas or should I just give up?

@xnappo - the Asus T100TA has only one full USB port and I would like it to be free when travelling, the best option would be a bluetooth remote, and I have the fire tv remote just laying around.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CCCD is accessed in a process called "subscribing to notifications". It is possible that it is not accessed in the pairing process, which could then work, but only in the sending of signals, which is what is failing in your case. I have no evidence either way, as the UEI remotes communicate without pairing, but this is plausible from what I know of Bluetooth.

As to your question on giving up, it depends how strongly you want to pursue it. Here is something you could try, but there is no guarantee that it would work. You could install Blue Soleil, an installable Bluetooth stack. All I can tell you is that it works on Win 8.1 with the UEI remotes that the Microsoft Win 10 stack fails on, and that it is uninstallable too. But you do this at your own risk. It is not a recommendation from me, just the only idea I have if you want to go further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: