JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Questions about 9910 extender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Questions about 9910 extender Reply with quote

I have been using JP-1 cables for a long time but am still really a newbie when it comes to extenders. I have been using an extender on my 9910, but now I want to make a couple of changes.

First, since all my devices now are using my Denon receiver for volume control for all devices, I want to make that the default. In the extender's readme.txt file, there is the following statement:

If you want full VPT (same VOL selection in all device selection macros) you
can save some macro memory by omitting all the SET_VOL_KEYS commands.
You can set the initial VOL device using IR. That remains as the VOL device
as long as no SET_VOL_KEYS commands specify a different VOL device.

I am not sure what this means. How do I set the vol device using IR, and how do I make it clear that the receiver is the default? The Denon receiver is assigned to the RCV/AMP key. Also, if I set the volume keys that way does it automatically include the "mute" button?

Second, I have been trying to make this as easy for my wife to use as possible. The L1-L4 keys are now all macros which switch the receiver to the correct device and set the remote to control that device. I have added a fifth device, and I want to put a macro on the PIP key to switch the receiver to it (as with the other macros I have), since the PIP key is below L1. Again, I want to make it easy for my wife to find. I tried doing it, and it would not work. If I press that key, nothing happens. Is that because the PIP key is part of the PIP set, and I would have to delete that set from the first macro for "Phantom 1"? I never use the PIP, SWAP or any other keys like that from that group, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Obviously, I am not really sure what I'm doing, so any help is appreciated.

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a copy of your current RMIR file so we can follow along?

I don't really follow what the readme says either. I'm looking at the IR file that is currently supplied with the extender where I see that it has a macro on Phantom1 that sets all of the control groups, and Phantom1 is included in all the device macros. But to see the VPT initially, I would assume it would need to be included in a macro, or programmed to a button, that needs to be pressed at least once. I don't see how to set VPT in RMIR for the extender.

As for the PIP issue, I would need to see your RMIR file to see if you did something wrong.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
8910, 9910 extender's Phantom1 is brilliant, compact memory saver.
What you do is this:
remove set_Vol_keys from Phantom1
then for each device where you want receiver volume you code: Dev_AUD; Set_Vol-Keys; Phantom1 ... follow with whatever else is needed.

@RoyGBiv,
Mute is included in the volume key set. See section "Key sets" in the readme file.
PIP issue-my guess is that if you remove set_PIP_keys from Phantom1, you'll just make it a normal key and it should work. You may have to set something to it, not sure what since I haven'tdone it.

I don't have access to jp1 at the moment, so this is the best I can do.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, but I finally got things working.

First, the issue with the PIP button seems to have been with the device upgrade for the Denon receiver. My bad. I have it set up so the "media" input is on key number 5 to make it easy for the macros. When I checked my remote by actually pressing number 5 while on RCV/AMP nothing happened. So, that led me to finding the issue (an error in the EFC), which I've corrected.

There is no problem with using the method ElizabethD recommended to control the volume. That is exactly what I had done previously, and I've just added it to the last macro I just added. I was intrigued, though, by the comment that you could "save macro memory" by making one device the default for volume, and I was wondering how to do this.

The macro on Phantom1 does not include any command about setting volume controls. So, I guess I could add at the end of phantom1, which is called by all the other macros, the device and volume set commands, and then I wouldn't need to do it again. Maybe that's what the above comment referred to.

Thank you both!

And I'm sorry for putting this in the wrong section. I didn't realize until after I posted that there is an extender section.

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Rob,
8910, 9910 extender's Phantom1 is brilliant, compact memory saver.
What you do is this:
remove set_Vol_keys from Phantom1
then for each device where you want receiver volume you code: Dev_AUD; Set_Vol-Keys; Phantom1 ... follow with whatever else is needed.

Exactly, that's what I was saying, you would need to put the global VPT entry into something that gets pressed (ie, the device button macros).

The quote from the readme seemed to imply that IR.exe could set the VPT, like it does for non-extended remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: