JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

replacement for URC8811 and URC8910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: replacement for URC8811 and URC8910 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been programming using JP1 since 2007. My URC8811 and URC8910 remotes are getting a bit old and some buttons are not as responsive. I am thinking of upgrading them to newer remotes.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good replacement. They control 6-7 devices each (TV, Receiver, Blu-Ray, Media Box, PS3 IR receiver, VCR, CD player). The URC-1280 seems like a close fit, but I don't see any macro buttons, which I am currently using. I also currently use the 4x PIP buttons on my remotes as extra buttons for special features such as changing language and subtitles for the blu-ray. Additional buttons like this are also lacking on the URC-1280. The backlight on my current remotes are also great to have, but not a deal breaker.

I like how the Guide, Menu, Info, Exit buttons are located somewhat together compared to the URC2981 (Don't even know if that is JP1 programmable).

I currently have a parallel port cable with 6 pin connector running on Windows 10 in case that matters. So happy they started supporting windows 10 natively, as I previously had to configure a VM to program my remotes.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
kasm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Since my cable is connected via a parallel port and is quite old, it's probably only a JP1 cable. Does this rule out any JP1.2 or JP1.3 remotes unless I get a new cable?

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a newer cable for any current JP1 remote, unless you get one that comes with a USB cable, but don't let that stop you because you can get a cable very cheap, you just need to replace the connector on it.

This thread has all the details:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for new remotes, you could consider:
1. the RCA RCRP0B / ARRS05G - it's officially a 5 device remote, but internally it's an 8 device unit
2. Inteset INT-422 - another 8-dev in 5-dev sheeps clothing
3. OARI06G - 6-dev
4. The URC-1280 Contour 8 - good 8 dev remote, 10 internally, but appears to only be available in the UK though. Regarding lack of macro buttons, there are the 2 buttons either side of the ZERO button, which have different labels depending on which version you get.
5. URC2981 - another 8-dev European remote

All of the above remotes have JP1 capabilities. If you come up with any other models to consider, check them on the chart below
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/RemoteChart
kasm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob,

Those are great suggestions. I was just wondering if you think there are any benefits to any of these newer remotes compared to just getting another URC8811 or URC8910 - assuming I can get one in good condition.

To me, I have not seen any newer remotes that can beat these two.

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, if you can find those old remotes, go for it, just avoid URC-8910's that have the donut ring (like this one).

Here's a URC-8811 for $20 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223808418697

Don't forget that you can also search for URC-8810 as those are just the Walmart specific version of the URC-8811. Here's one for $15.50 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253501842753
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: