JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how do I get started with Xsight Touch / URC-8603
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajvdz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: how do I get started with Xsight Touch / URC-8603 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the One For All Xsight Touch and I was wondering how I can still change the configuration since the EZ-RC website doesn't work anymore.

I came accross this website but I can't figure out how it works.

I downloaded Remote Master but when I try to start it I get an error that it can't read protocols.ini. What do i need to do? I think select a .map or .rdf file but mine isn't there and what is there doesn't work or I do something wrong. I the tutorials there are links to more files but the page is empty

I wonder if I have to connect my remote to the PC with a JP1 connector or if it is possible to still use the USB cable. Another thing I can't figure out if there is still a mirror version of the software I used before. Did someone copy it or what? I really liked that software and I really regret it that it is not there anymore because it was very easy to use. If Remote Master is the only way I have to get used to that but I also have to know how to get started with it. What i want is to change some labels / buttons on the touch screen. Should that be possible?

I hope someone can help me out. For a while I thought that changing the remote was not possible anymore but after finding this website I got some hope to keep my remote (the best I ever had) up to date.

Another thing, I saw that it is possible to open the remote. One For All Always told me that it was impossible. I think something got loose inside which makes a noise (I think the audio transducer). I want to fix that. What is the change it will work without breaking it?

Twan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a page dedicated to this remote on our wiki:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo

You can use your USB cable, you don't need a JP1 cable. You can read and write to the remote using the RMIR program. It sounds like you haven't unzipped it and are trying to run it from within the zip file, or if you have unzipped it, it doesn't sound like you have run the setup.vbs script that completes the setup.

And the first time you try connecting using RMIR, it will ask you if you want the latest firmware (if yours isn't up to date).
tajvdz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There is a page dedicated to this remote on our wiki:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo

You can use your USB cable, you don't need a JP1 cable. You can read and write to the remote using the RMIR program. It sounds like you haven't unzipped it and are trying to run it from within the zip file, or if you have unzipped it, it doesn't sound like you have run the setup.vbs script that completes the setup.

And the first time you try connecting using RMIR, it will ask you if you want the latest firmware (if yours isn't up to date).

I don't know what I downloaded but it wasn't the full version. I have a much larger file now so i think it will work...

This is what I unzipped:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RMIRDevelopment/

I see now that it is an update only. I followed the link on the wiki page. Maybe update that link there to what is in the tutorial that can be found on the wiki page. For a newby like me this is very confusing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you download RM from? I just downloaded the latest copy and can confirm that setup.vbs is included.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13325

https://i.imgur.com/ThM53i5.jpg

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
tajvdz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave you the link in my previous post. I still have`trouble. I now found a file 2.09build8 that doesn't work with the setup file. I also saw 2.09build6 but I assumes build 8 was more recent... You showed a screenshot of build6 so I will unzip that one.
I think you need to read the wiki and install instructions in the tutorial again but it contains some confusing info...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build 6 was the last full build and is the one listed under "Download Latest Version" at the top of the page that you posted. Build 8 was issued as an update to that and hasn't yet been issued as a fully fledged build yet (not sure why).

I think you must have been editing your post when I posted mine as I don't recall there being a URL there and I recall you mentioning that you didn't run setup.vbs as it wasn't included in the zip.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Build 6 was the last full build and is the one listed under "Download Latest Version" at the top of the page that you posted. Build 8 was issued as an update to that and hasn't yet been issued as a fully fledged build yet (not sure why).

I think you must have been editing your post when I posted mine as I don't recall there being a URL there and I recall you mentioning that you didn't run setup.vbs as it wasn't included in the zip.

I have build6 running now. However I got 3 or some errors that it was unable to write to the registry when I ran the setup file. Only thing that seemed to work was creating shortcuts... When I start the Remote Master icon it seems to work but I don't know where to start at all. The tutorial says that it will ask to select a rdf and map file but i don't get it and I don't know how to start.
Why is this whole installation process full of inconsistency? If it wasn't i had it done hours ago,...
tajvdz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted and modified some posts.
I installed again and no error messages now.
I have 3 icons. Do I need to use RMIR or Remote Master? And what is the difference?
When I start Remote Master I don't know what to do. When I start RMIR I see download from Remote. I changed the register setting and was able to download. I saved the download and I can open it again by double clicking it. Is this what i have to edit?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best not to delete posts as folks may be in the process of answering you, as I was.

You've got some reading to do. Start with this, knowing that your USB cable is your JP1 cable:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F

RMIR is the program that you use to download and upload to your remote.
RM is the program that you use to create or modify upgrades for your remote.
Upgrades are how we add new devices to a remote.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Best not to delete posts as folks may be in the process of answering you, as I was.

You've got some reading to do. Start with this, knowing that your USB cable is your JP1 cable:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F

RMIR is the program that you use to download and upload to your remote.
RM is the program that you use to create or modify upgrades for your remote.
Upgrades are how we add new devices to a remote.

Yes you were right about not deleting posts. But maybe I posted too soon because I figured out some things myself. This all was because I was a bit confused by it all. I made a bad start with the wrong zip file. The errors I got because the Program Fils folder I used seemed read only or administration only so the setup wasn't able to write and only made the shortcuts. If this was a problem in the programs itself I don't know but I will solve this later.
So far the RMIR program seemed logical to me. With RM you mean the program that is called Remote Master?
What is the best way to start with a remote that has all codes in but that i want to modify? Open RMIR, download from remote and save? After that you can double click the saved file. Like I said I was able to download. I was able to change one button on the touch screen of the main menu but I also need to do that for one device. I can on the device in the first screen and it opens a new window (looks like RM) but I'm not able to change anything.

I will read the page again with what I know now. I was just in a hurry yesterday because it went way too laate because of all the trouble..
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against saving RM in the Program Files folder just for that reason, I have a JP1 folder under My Documents and I created an RM folder under JP1.

You're on the right track, download your remote contents and rave the .rmir file, then use this as a starting point going forward. In the Devices tab you will see any device upgrades that you have already added (presumably added back when the company website was still active). You can double click on any of these to edit them, this will bring up a version of RM (Remote Master) that you can use to edit the upgrade, like delete a function, add a function, etc.

If you have bigger goals that you're not sure how to accomplish, load a copy of your RMIR file here (File Section link at the top of the page, then look for the Diagnosis Area folder, load it there, then post a link to it here), and describe what you'd like to accomplish and we'll either do it for you or tell you how to do it.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I would advise against saving RM in the Program Files folder just for that reason, I have a JP1 folder under My Documents and I created an RM folder under JP1.

Ok but this advise was on the tutorials page. That is what I meant yesterday that there are a few different and confusing things in the wiki / tutorials. Maybe add this advise to it?

The Robman wrote:
You're on the right track, download your remote contents and rave the .rmir file, then use this as a starting point going forward. In the Devices tab you will see any device upgrades that you have already added (presumably added back when the company website was still active). You can double click on any of these to edit them, this will bring up a version of RM (Remote Master) that you can use to edit the upgrade, like delete a function, add a function, etc.

I will go on from here. What do the .map and .rdf do? Are they used by the program or do I need them for my .rmir file?
And where do you store / save the rmir file? In The RM or JP1 folder? And what is the best way to starrt? Open the RMIR program first or double click the rmir file that was created? There is no use to start the RM program because that one will open from RMIR?

The Robman wrote:
If you have bigger goals that you're not sure how to accomplish, load a copy of your RMIR file here (File Section link at the top of the page, then look for the Diagnosis Area folder, load it there, then post a link to it here), and describe what you'd like to accomplish and we'll either do it for you or tell you how to do it.

I can do this when I don't know what to do. I was very good with the EZ-RC website. There is no copy left of that way to maintyain the remote anymore?

What about my question how easy or hard it is to open the remote?
I want to resolve the rumbling noise. I think some part came loose.. But this is for a few years al ready and doesn't have any effect on functioning. Shake the remote a bit will do so I think it fals on its place again then..
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise is normal. It is a motion detecting switch that activates the backlight.

It is difficult to open the remote impossible to do so without breaking the clips that hold it closed.

The map and rdf are system files used by the program. You don't need to be concerned about them.

RMIR does everything EZ-RC did. Your current configuration is stored in the remote. RMIR will read it in and you can change it and load it back. Download from the remote to start.

If you can tell me what part of the wiki is confusing, I can fix it.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The noise is normal. It is a motion detecting switch that activates the backlight.

It is difficult to open the remote impossible to do so without breaking the clips that hold it closed.

The map and rdf are system files used by the program. You don't need to be concerned about them.

RMIR does everything EZ-RC did. Your current configuration is stored in the remote. RMIR will read it in and you can change it and load it back. Download from the remote to start.

If you can tell me what part of the wiki is confusing, I can fix it.

well it looks like the yellow part makes the rumbling noise:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Xsight_Disassembly

What I find confusing is this:

- On this page
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo

Under Setup and Programming it says download and install Remote Master. The word links to another website but the download is not a full version:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RMIRDevelopment/
Better link it to another level of that side. I made the mistake to install this zip file.

- On this page
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version

Under Installing RMIR and preparing it for use.
It says to use the program files folder in Windows. My advise is not do that but use the Documents folder. Program Files may cause problems with the setup.vbs because of administration rights / read only

Those 2 things caused me a lot of problems and took me a lot longer to get started. Another thing that is confusing me is the 2 programs to use. RMIR and RM (Remote Master) It is not clear which one to use to get started. This is also beause for the 2nd program 2 names are used. For me as a beginner it seemed more logical to use Remote Master because this is the name of the zip file. I hope you know what I mean.

Another thing is the talk about the .map and .rdf files in the installation instructios. In new versions this doesn't cause any problems so maybe mantion that these files are used by the program itself only.

I think I have to get used to the interface but I found EZ-AR more graphical. Remote Master seems more script based. But I think when I use it a few times I will find my way.

What about my question how to continue after saving a rmir file? Make a shortcut to the file or start the RMIR program first?

Last edited by tajvdz on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll make those corrections.

So your speaker (beeper) has come unglued.

Your choice about the shortcuts. Personally, I have hundreds of files, so I just organize mine in different folders and double click the file I want, no shortcuts. It will also be in the Recent files list in RMIR, so just as easy to launch it then pick the file. Whichever is easier for you.

In RM, when editing a device, you get a graphical view on the Layout tab, more like EZ-RC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: