JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CEC Mode? URC7935
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: CEC Mode? URC7935 Reply with quote

I see a line in the manual to enable a CEC mode that makes the Dpad and media controls send tv signals. That is what i need for this remote to control my Nvidia Shield through my Vizio tv IR CEC.

I used the search on this forums, and manually searched many posts, nothing I can find.

The website link in the manual for More Functions does not work. oneforall website does not work. gives DNS DX domain error or something.

Remote is model URC7935

Google web search directed me to this site as there are some posts that only Google seems to find, in regards to these remotes having this mode. But now ones says how to enable it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried using CEC myself yet (only just reading about it now because of this thread), but it appears that HDMI-CEC is a concept that you enable in your TV and other devices, so it's not something that makes any difference in the remote control itself.

In other words, the remote would still send the same signals to the TV, but the TV would pass those commands onto the other device (or vice versa).

Further reading:
https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/
https://www.guidingtech.com/53974/hdmi-cec-tv-support/
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I haven't tried using CEC myself yet (only just reading about it now because of this thread), but it appears that HDMI-CEC is a concept that you enable in your TV and other devices, so it's not something that makes any difference in the remote control itself.

In other words, the remote would still send the same signals to the TV, but the TV would pass those commands onto the other device (or vice versa).

Further reading:
https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/
https://www.guidingtech.com/53974/hdmi-cec-tv-support/

I am well aware what HDMI CEC is.....not talking about that on my tv..

As is stated, this remote has a way to change it into a CEC control mode where it sends commands for TV, and not streamer as by default. the Manual says so, but says go to website and also has a QR code to see more advanced functions instructions. the link does not work.
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this image from the manual
https://imgur.com/a/ydqF50S
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I hadn't heard of CEC before trying to research to help answer your questions.

All of the OFA websites appear to be down at the moment, but a cached version of https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote reveals that the site doesn't tell you much.

OneForAll.com wrote:
URC7935 Streamer remote - CEC mode
* Get local support
* United States

For support, please click here

Questions about remotes: 855-716-2573
Questions about antennas: 855-823-3422
General questions: 877-829-7860
Request for Terms & Conditions: 855-569-6595

If the Google search that brought you here found the "One For All URC 7935 Streamer Remote" thread, did you notice the following post on page 3:

mathdon wrote:
I have just found the following info in the manual for this remote on the UEI website:
Quote:
Hold down TV Power and the A key until the ring blinks twice in yellow. From now the remote sends commands to your TV when using the Menu directional keys, the Back key, the Home key and the Rewind, Play and Fast Forward keys.

This seems to be called CEC mode. To turn this mode off, repeat the process and the ring blinks four times in green. I think you may both find this useful.

The following post from page 4 sheds some further light on what CEC does to the INPUT button:

mathdon wrote:
I have now posted Development build 11 of RMIR v2.07 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This build provides substantially improved support for the URC7935 OFA Streamer remote. It includes new versions of both RemoteMaster.jar and the RDF for the URC7935. The new RDF should not be used with any earlier build of RMIR.

There is now a Settings pane in the General panel that can be used to change all known settings parameters. These include the CEC mode setting (see an earlier post in this thread) and the signal sent by the Input and Back keys. I described in the post above about build 9 that the Input key can be configured to send one of five signals, either Input or HDMI1 through HDMI4. This is now displayed and changed in the Settings pane rather than with the Layout tab as described there. The Layout tab still shows which of these logical keys is assigned to the Input button but it can no longer be changed on that tab. The Back key can similarly send one of two signals, either Back or Exit, but only in CEC mode as the Streamer setups do not include an Exit signal. This too is configured in the Settings pane but also shown on the Layout tab.

Other settings turn Backlighting on or off, and change the duration of the backlight when it is enabled. The feature that the left, right, up, down and OK actions send TV rather than Streamer signals temporarily after the Input button is pressed can also be turned on or off.

The assignment of devices to buttons is now shown in the Activities tab. The remote does not have selectable activities but it effectively acts as if permanently in an activity state, as different buttons send signals for different devices according to some internal algorithm. The assignments displayed in the Activities tab are those for the current setup of the remote and change accordingly when anything in the setup is changed. The Key Moves tab no longer appears, as the remote does not support Key Moves.

There is a substantial amount of new coding in these features. I have tried to test them pretty thoroughly but if you find anything is not working as you think it should, please report it in this thread.

speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Like I said, I hadn't heard of CEC before trying to research to help answer your questions.

All of the OFA websites appear to be down at the moment, but a cached version of https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote reveals that the site doesn't tell you much.

OneForAll.com wrote:
URC7935 Streamer remote - CEC mode
* Get local support
* United States

For support, please click here

Questions about remotes: 855-716-2573
Questions about antennas: 855-823-3422
General questions: 877-829-7860
Request for Terms & Conditions: 855-569-6595

If the Google search that brought you here found the "One For All URC 7935 Streamer Remote" thread, did you notice the following post on page 3:

mathdon wrote:
I have just found the following info in the manual for this remote on the UEI website:
Quote:
Hold down TV Power and the A key until the ring blinks twice in yellow. From now the remote sends commands to your TV when using the Menu directional keys, the Back key, the Home key and the Rewind, Play and Fast Forward keys.

This seems to be called CEC mode. To turn this mode off, repeat the process and the ring blinks four times in green. I think you may both find this useful.

The following post from page 4 sheds some further light on what CEC does to the INPUT button:

mathdon wrote:
I have now posted Development build 11 of RMIR v2.07 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This build provides substantially improved support for the URC7935 OFA Streamer remote. It includes new versions of both RemoteMaster.jar and the RDF for the URC7935. The new RDF should not be used with any earlier build of RMIR.

There is now a Settings pane in the General panel that can be used to change all known settings parameters. These include the CEC mode setting (see an earlier post in this thread) and the signal sent by the Input and Back keys. I described in the post above about build 9 that the Input key can be configured to send one of five signals, either Input or HDMI1 through HDMI4. This is now displayed and changed in the Settings pane rather than with the Layout tab as described there. The Layout tab still shows which of these logical keys is assigned to the Input button but it can no longer be changed on that tab. The Back key can similarly send one of two signals, either Back or Exit, but only in CEC mode as the Streamer setups do not include an Exit signal. This too is configured in the Settings pane but also shown on the Layout tab.

Other settings turn Backlighting on or off, and change the duration of the backlight when it is enabled. The feature that the left, right, up, down and OK actions send TV rather than Streamer signals temporarily after the Input button is pressed can also be turned on or off.

The assignment of devices to buttons is now shown in the Activities tab. The remote does not have selectable activities but it effectively acts as if permanently in an activity state, as different buttons send signals for different devices according to some internal algorithm. The assignments displayed in the Activities tab are those for the current setup of the remote and change accordingly when anything in the setup is changed. The Key Moves tab no longer appears, as the remote does not support Key Moves.

There is a substantial amount of new coding in these features. I have tried to test them pretty thoroughly but if you find anything is not working as you think it should, please report it in this thread.

Yes those are the posts that i saw.
What is the "A" button.....My remote does not have one.
The other talk is of some firmware that needs to be custom flashed to the remote, i gather. it talks of features, but not how to use them and that would only apply to that compiled firmware from sourcefourge.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remotes sold outside of Walmart have the A key (A stands for Amazon). Walmart remotes have Vudu key instead, which Walmart owns. Use Vudu in place of the A in the instructions.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had apple tv before sold it last week, I had the 7935 program for it, the cursor keys controlled the apple tv. But if I pressed the tv input key and drop down menu of my tv inputs showed, the cursor keys switched to controlling the tv, once the tv menu was gone, it controlled the apple tv again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedingcheetah wrote:
The other talk is of some firmware that needs to be custom flashed to the remote, i gather. it talks of features, but not how to use them and that would only apply to that compiled firmware from sourcefourge.

Keep in mind that you've stumbled into the JP1 group, so most of the posts here relate to JP1. (If your next question is "what is JP1", there is a Wiki at the top of the page). Nothing needs to be flashed into the remote, the software that is mentioned is RMIR which is the program that we use to program our remotes. I quoted that post not to detail RMIR, but just to let you know what is possible in CEC mode in your remote.

Other than the "Hold down TV Power and the A/Vudu key until the ring blinks twice in yellow" instructions, I don't know how to program CEC mode in this remote.
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
Remotes sold outside of Walmart have the A key (A stands for Amazon). Walmart remotes have Vudu key instead, which Walmart owns. Use Vudu in place of the A in the instructions.

I got my remote off ebay for a few $...so no idea where it came from...i had assumed from some random China product importer....

It does have a Vudu key.

Holding that did work. Thank You.

NO idea why they could have not had one or two lines in the manual...
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
speedingcheetah wrote:

Keep in mind that you've stumbled into the JP1 group, so most of the posts here relate to JP1. (If your next question is "what is JP1", there is a Wiki at the top of the page). Nothing needs to be flashed into the remote, the software that is mentioned is RMIR which is the program that we use to program our remotes. I quoted that post not to detail RMIR, but just to let you know what is possible in CEC mode in your remote.

Other than the "Hold down TV Power and the A/Vudu key until the ring blinks twice in yellow" instructions, I don't know how to program CEC mode in this remote.

This is the ONLY site that comes up when u search the remote model number...I had assumed JP1 was the brand or core distributor etc. don't really care.

Looking at the site, there is tons of threads on all the all other remotes with same model prefex, so it is pretty much a a given to most to think this is the place to for these remotes.
speedingcheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

That is how to change it to the CEC mode as desired. That is eactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

By program, u mean to change the keys commands, that would be obvious, that is controlled by what TV code you have used to setup the TV IR (Vizio for my needs). I also suppose one could manually IR Learn program each key for those that are not doing exactly the right thing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I don't use this remote and had never heard of CEC before you posted about it. And even if I was using this remote, I would program it using RMIR, so I wouldn't need to know what key presses non-JP1 users need to use to program it.

What I meant was, I had posted the instructions on how to program it (ie, hold TV Power and A) but you seemed to want more details than just that, which is why I said I don't have any other instructions to give you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a cache of the OFA instructions for CEC mode. (I added the tip about the Vudu key for Walmart remotes)
Quote:
CEC Mode
Although the OFA Streaming Remote is designed to control devices by infrared (known as IR), there is a possibility to control some non-IR devices using a TV feature called HDMI-CEC. So if you have, for example an Amazon Fire TV (which is controlled by Bluetooth not IR), this method may work for you.

The first step is to set up your TV on the OFA Streaming Remote. This can be done via SimpleSet (method A) or Code (method B). Once this has been done and the remote is working the Volume, Power and Input of your TV, "CECMode" on the remote can be used. Firstly though you will need to make sure that CEC mode is active on your TV.

Generally you can find this setting in the Menu/Options/Settings of your TV. It may be called a number of different things based upon the brand of your TV. For example, Samsung call it AnyNet+, LG call it SIMPLINK, Sony call it BRAVIA Sync and Panasonic call it Viera Link. But generally speaking if you find something called CEC, HDMI CEC, or HDMI control, this is the setting you need to turn on.

It may also be necessary to activate CEC / HDMI control on your streaming box using the original remote control.

Once active on both devices, perform the following on the OFA remote control:

Hold down TV Power and the A key (Vudu key on Walmart remotes) until the ring blinks twice in yellow. From now the remote send commands to your TV when using the Menu directional keys, the Back key, the Home key and the Rewind, Play and Fast Forward keys. If CEC is enabled properly on the TV and streaming device, this should allow you to control your streaming devices using the One For All remote.

Tip: Please note that the operation of CEC mode is dependent on both your TV and streaming devices supporting this control method. Unfortunately it is not supported on some brands and/or models. If you are unsure whether your device supports CEC, please refer to the manual.

If at some point you wish to disable the CEC mode, simply repeat the same process. The ring will blink 4 times in green and the feature is disabled.

The following pic shows how the relevant buttons differ between the standard URC7935 remote and the Walmart version:

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OFA's use of the term "CEC mode" is misleading. There is no such thing as CEC mode on a remote. All it means is the transport and menu controls are set to the TV device, where the TV just happens to be set up to pass them along to other connected devices via HDMI CEC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: