JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very old interface cable with Windows 10 64-bit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Very old interface cable with Windows 10 64-bit Reply with quote

After nine years away from JP1, I've decided to give it a try again with my old equipment. Having forgotten almost everything I previously knew, I'm back to being a beginner again. I'm trying to get a very old JP1 interface cable to work with Windows 10 64-bit. The cable was purchased from filebug back in 2004. It has a USB-B connector on one end in a black elongated housing, a blue cable, and a 6-pin header. I believe it uses a Delcom driver. I followed Vicky's "Legacy Interface Cables and Window 10 build 1809" step-by-step instructions, choosing the WinUsb Device, and added the registry entry.

In device manager it shows as USB IO Controller (no exclamation point or error messages). The driver description is Microsoft, 6/21/2006, 10.0.18362.1. I cannot get it to work with my old remotes. JP1xTEST.BAT yields *** NO JP1.2.3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE FOUND! ***. The interface check fails on the current versions of RMIR and IR.exe. I believe that the cable is connected to the remote in the proper orientation as the LED lights with button presses. I'm using new batteries. There are no COM ports for it in the device manger.

I tried to manually install the Wdp64bit driver, but Windows 10 just comes back with a generic failure message. The remotes are URC-6131B00, URC-8811B00, and Radio Shack 15-2117. Is it feasible that this cable should work? Any ideas or suggestions that would help me? If not, what cable should I get to use with these old remotes? Thanks very much.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remotes are all JP1 remotes, not JP1.x remotes. What do you have selected in Remote > Interface in RMIR? It should be JP1 USB (or Auto Select).

JP1xTEST.BAT is irrelevant here as you don't have a JP1.x remote or JP1.x cable.

If you are ultimately unable to get this cable working, as nobody makes JP1 cables anymore, you would need to get a JP1.x cable and a JP1 adapter, as described below...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
kkl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Robman.

I suspected that about JP1xTEST.BAT, but a previous post said that just running IR.exe was a bad way to test a cable and JP1xTEST.BAT was better. I'll ignore it now.

Using RemoteMaster v2.09build6, I tried both JP1 USB and Auto-detect followed by Download from Remote which yields "No Remotes Found!" I didn't change or add anything else from the default settings. I can't remember if something else needs to be setup before connection to remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I tried to follow Vicky's instructions to get my old USB cable working under Win10 I failed, but then when I re-visited it and started over, I got it to work. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did now, or more to the point, what I did different. But I would suggest that you start over and try again, paying close attention to the screen shots around the steps where you load the driver.
kkl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it another try. Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The first time I tried to follow Vicky's instructions to get my old USB cable working under Win10 I failed, but then when I re-visited it and started over, I got it to work. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did now, or more to the point, what I did different. But I would suggest that you start over and try again, paying close attention to the screen shots around the steps where you load the driver.

It seems to me you and mathdon both had to remove a setting that wasn't in my picture.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me it was around the loading of the driver. The trouble is, Windows keeps changing their screen layouts, so often the screen shots in guides don't exactly match what you see, and I had assumed that was the case for me, but I think there was a screen where I didn't follow the steps to the letter and therefore hadn't properly loaded the driver.
kkl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked! I went through all of the steps again. I think the problem might have had something to do with the GUID entry or the location of it. Thanks for your help Robman.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: