JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC MX-900 compatibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkellington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: URC MX-900 compatibility Reply with quote

Can JP1 be used with a URC MX-900?

If so, can someone please point me to the posts. My searches have come up empty.

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your goals? The MX-900 is a learning remote with lots of learning memory, so loading up your current remotes into it shouldn't be a problem. Are you looking to go beyond that and program discrete codes into it? If so, you could buy a JP1 remote, which you can program as you like, then use it to teach the MX-900.

The OARUSB04G is a JP1 remote, which comes with its own cable, and costs under $17 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob's way is the simplest approach. But if you really want to program every aspect of the remote as JP1 software would do, you need to get your hands on the software from URC. This is typically only available to dealers and integrators, but you my find a copy floating around somewhere ( I just searched and could not find a copy).

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx900/index6.htm
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust that link. When mx-900 came out there was separate software for just that remote. Now you can program the mx-900 with CCP software.

I can't sell on amazon anymore because they swear the mx-900 I sold in 2016 was made in North Korea!!! They are still selling other URC made remotes. So I sell them on ebay instead, two at a time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143450883066
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting them from Ed?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 4 at time, twice from someone on Remote Central. Then pick up it a couple for $5 on ebay. Then paid $15 for new button membranes from URC. it was my go to remote, until I got use to using Roku and TiVo oem remotes. Now with Roku tv, roku remote is ALL I use. Helped by OFA 7880 & 7935.

I bought a mx-5000 from ebay for a $1, $13 with shipping, it was marked as mx-780, but I recognized the photo, sold it couple a days latter for $130. Just got my positive feedback from the buyer today.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, a little bit of wheeling and dealing.
dkellington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman and mdavej thank you for getting back to me.

My MX-900 interfaces with a URC MSC-400. I have both editors (CCP) for each and have easily reprogrammed them when replacing various components in the past.

I just picked up a Sony projector (VPL-HW45ES) and am having a difficult time in getting IR codes to work with either an IR emitter or using the IR IN port of the projector. URC does not specifically list my projector in their IR database and attempts to use similar models in their database is not working.

I learned of this site when researching a post on remote central and was hoping that I might be able to use JP1 (or find discrete codes) for my specific model and maybe gets some tips on using them in the MSC-400 CCP.

My attempts to use the discrete p-on and p-off hex codes in the above post did not work, nor did the learned code from the Sony remote work for toggle p-on. It is very possible that I am incorrectly entering these in the CCP macro, but I feel semi-confident I am doing it correctly.

Any thoughts/ideas?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the CCP software, open the universal browser, its under tools, then HEX box, paste the pronto hex into the box, pressing on the bullseye drag it to a key on the mx-900. Save it, rename it if you wish, then download to the remote.
dkellington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan, thanks for your help.

What you have outlined is exactly what I have done. In the MX-900 Editor, this is very straight forward and intuitive. In the MSC-400 Editor it is similar, but not as intuitive.

In the MSC-400 Editor, after entering the hex codes, I used the test button (wifi icon) to see if the codes worked, but they didn't. This is done using a USB interface between an old 32-bit desktop and the MSC-400.

I am starting to think that the discrete codes listed for the VPL-HW55ES are different from the HW45ES.

I am more that willing to attach the .msf file if you (or anyone) is willing to review it
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you learn signals using the MX-900 and then download them using the CCP software? If so, learn the signals from your Sony VPL-HW45ES projector and post them here (in Pronto hex format). That will confirm to us what signals it uses and from that we might be able to suggest some discrete codes, if that's what you're looking for.

As for simply controlling the projector using the MX-900, if there's no built in code for it, why not just learn the buttons?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not get any feedback from the CCP software, it will not analyze learns at all. I guess they didn't think it was needed, users had prontos to do that.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't extract the pronto hex for signals that you've learned?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it just accepts them from other sources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: