JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Raspbian/IRscrutinizer error: Hardware does not support ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Raspbian/IRscrutinizer error: Hardware does not support ... Reply with quote

Hello there,
I am new in this forum but have read a lot unfortunately without answer.
I want to be able to receive and send IR to set my universal remote control with new codes. I did that few years ago with the same hardware and software. However software versions are upgraded like kernel and Irscrutinizer.

I installed Raspbian Buster on my RPi1B. I have receiver and emitter connected to GPIO.
I installed IRscrutiniser from few kind of howto, ie: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=235256#p1438740.
Irscrutinizer start fine and I can send IR code (I can see in a webcam) but I cant receive.
When I select tab receive hardware, /dev/lirc and I try to capture (test button) I get the error message:
"HarcHardwareException: Hardware based exception: org.harctoolbox.devslashlirc.NotSupportedException Hardware does not support receiving"

I don't have any clue why. Can someone help me to debug or give me an howto for RPi/Raspbian new kernel.
Thank you for your help
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Raspbian/IRscrutinizer error: Hardware does not support Reply with quote

Barf will probably be the one to help you with your specific questions as he wrote the program, but I want to ask you something about your overall objective.

MrNice wrote:
I want to be able to receive and send IR to set my universal remote control with new codes.

Which universal remote control are you trying to program? Would I be right in assuming that it's not a JP1 remote control, but is one that can be programmed using some other codes, probably Pronto Hex?

Because, if it IS a JP1 remote, there are much easier ways of going about programming it. We probably already have files for whatever device you're trying to add, in which case you could just load the upgrade into the remote.

Even if it isn't a JP1 remote, there are still other options that you can use to convert a JP1 file into Pronto Hex or other forms that you can use.

So, while we wait for someone else to help with your specific hardware/software questions, could you talk a little about what your higher level objectives are. Such as, which remote are you trying to program and what device(s) are you trying to program it for.
MrNice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bellow more info.
I own
- TV LG 55UF860V with a "Magic" RC AN-MR800 (RF and IR)
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/b97a18c
- AVR Denon 2313 with RC-1167
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1409431-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html
- Raspberry Pi2 as player and FLIRC (USB receiver) I used the code from an old DVD player remote PLUSTRON to program the SONY remote
- Universal Remote SONY RM-VLZ620
- Recently bought (LIDL) a light strip with remote Briloner Leuchten GmbH 14125106LE-TR. I have to investigate as I can't programme the SONY with this remote.

I can't find any info about JP1 on the SONY remote manual, so I can't answer your question. I programmed it few years ago and forgot a bit how even with the files I kept. I need to review with IRscrutinizer.
I hope Barf will help me.
Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find any mention of JP1 in *any* remote manual, including those for JP1 remotes, because JP1 is a home grown concept.

There aren't any Sony JP1 remotes, so suffice to say that you don't have a JP1 remote, though if you're curious, you might consider buying one. The easiest model to start with is the OARUSB04G, which is sold in the UK as URC-6440.

Now, back to your Sony, let's say that you get IRscrutiniser working, how will you use it to program it? Will you have IRscrutiniser send the signal and have the Sony learn it, or will you be generating codes that you can somehow load into the Sony?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrNice and welcome to the forum! Very Happy

MrNice wrote:
"HarcHardwareException: Hardware based exception: org.harctoolbox.devslashlirc.NotSupportedException Hardware does not support receiving"

The driver you are using (gpio-driver?) does not support receiving, just as the error message says. I am not that well informed, but you can try to use the lirc_rpi driver instead (here is my version). The linux-ers decided (probably with a good reason) that the lirc_rpi model is somehow ... unclean, and replaced it with the gpio driver, which to my knowledge currently does not offer full functionality. An alternative is to go for an USB device, for example an MCE-reader like the HP (supported as /dev/lirc) or, even better, my little nano project.

The Robman wrote:
let's say that you get IRscrutiniser working, how will you use it to program it? Will you have IRscrutiniser send the signal and have the Sony learn it, or will you be generating codes that you can somehow load into the Sony?

Using this method it is just a few key clicks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
The Robman wrote:
let's say that you get IRscrutiniser working, how will you use it to program it? Will you have IRscrutiniser send the signal and have the Sony learn it, or will you be generating codes that you can somehow load into the Sony?

Using this method it is just a few key clicks.

That method is for programming a JP1 remote though, right? I'm assuming he has a remote like the Sony RM-VL900, which is a learning remote with tons of memory, so I'm guessing that he'll want to have IrScrutinizer send the signals for his Sony to capture.

Actually, now that I walk thru those steps in my mind, it's seems that it would be much easier to just have the Sony learn from the OEM remote, so I think I'm still missing something about what MrNice is trying to do.
MrNice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Barf and The Robman for your answer.

I had a lot of reading and I get lost. I understand the kernel change lead to change the lirc driver and the developers changed the name. So now if I want to use again lirc_rpi and not gpio driver, I need to use an old Raspbian version and I can't only change the driver on my install.
Am I right ?
Anyway, could be you more specific about what version to use Raspbian, driver,... and it would be very helpful to get a howto. I am not very skilled.

About what are my objectives.
First, I want to program my SONY RC from the RPi/gpio transmitter to send some code not in the OEM remote. IE: Power ON/OFF in the TV is a toggle in the OEM RC but I want the discrete power ON and power OFF in the SONY. I have the list of codes
Second, I have this small RC for the light strip, I can't program the SONY directly with the beam. I'd like to understand why. I sent an email to the manufacturer but no answer. BTW if you have some info:
LivarnoLux 3m light strip with audio sensor and transmitter (IR remote control) ref 14125106LE.
The remote has a label on it:
Briloner Leuchten GmbH & Co.KG
Im Kissen 2, DE-59929 Brilom
14125106LE-TR
Transmitter
Charge BN300597
Date 04/19
Battery typ:CR2025

This is this model
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019693238.html

So, the most important now is to get Irscrutinizer working.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you need to program some discrete codes, that makes sense. As you're into this sort of thing, I strongly recommend that you try to buy yourself a JP1 remote control as some of this might be a lot easier with one of those on hand. See if you can find the OARUSB04G or URC-6440 on a website that delivers to Ireland, or even locally.

Now, regarding that thin remote for the light strip, I have had problems trying to capture the signals from skinny remotes like that. It's not because they send a strange signal, so I'm not sure what the issue is, like is the signal too weak or too strong, not sure. All I know is it took me about 10 attempts per button to get them captured. What I did was try learning the same OEM button to 10 or more different buttons on my JP1 remote, then I downloaded the memory to see if any of the learns worked, then I repeated the process until I got at least one good learn for each of the OEM buttons.

For problem remotes like this, it's worth trying different techniques to see if you can find the sweet spot, try learning them close together, then try further apart, try making sure the IR eyes are level with each other (you're Sony remote is much deeper than the skinny remote, so it might be worth putting the skinny remote on a book or something to bring those IR eyes level.

One thought that just occurred to me is, you could try looking at the signal using a digital camera or mobile phone and compare it with the signal from a normal remote to see if it appears much stronger or weaker than a normal IR signal.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That method is for programming a JP1 remote though, right?

Yes you are right, I did not read very carefully Embarassed ...

@MrNice:
Sigh... Aren't these people wonderful? First there was a (probably inofficial) lirc_rpi, that at least worked. Then (by Raspian?) there was this dts system (designed by Alfred Hitchkock?), took me quite some time to get it to work with it. But it worked. lirc_rpi was official in Raspian, but not in Linux. Real Linuxers felt it was uncool. So there was this gpio driver, and lirc_rpi was declared evil. IIRC at least originally the gpio driver only supported receiving, no sending. And now you are saying it is sending-only, no receiving. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

MrNice wrote:
if I want to use again lirc_rpi and not gpio driver, I need to use an old Raspbian version and I can't only change the driver on my install. Am I right ?

No. First, it is more than weird to have send-only support, please check again. If you need to install for example lirc_rpi, you just install that in the kernel tree, possibly after deleting or blacklisting conflicting drivers. What is the exact version of your Rapsian, and the kernel (uname -a)?

Please open a thread in the Raspberry forum, and post a link here. Say that you simply want a /dev/lirc compatible driver supporting an IR receiver connected to the GPIO pin X.
MrNice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the exact version of your Rapsian, and the kernel (uname -a)?

I use Raspberry RPi1B with Raspbian 10 Buster kernel 4.19.75+ #1270

Quote:
First, it is more than weird to have send-only support, please check again

I try again; Irscrutinizer tab "Sending hw" device "/dev/lirc0" Detected device "mode2 SetCarr.send #xmtrs=1" then
tab "Capturing hw" This device can be used noth for capturing and sending. It is configured and opened from the "Sending hw" pane. Device opened.
When I press test button I get

In the "Sending hw" tab I can select "/dev/lirc1", same result.

Quote:
If you need to install for example lirc_rpi, you just install that in the kernel tree, possibly after deleting or blacklisting conflicting drivers

As I said I am not very skilled. Where to place the driver, what driver to delete/rename?

Quote:
Please open a thread in the Raspberry forum

Please see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=258227
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you've not been getting much help from the Raspberry Pi folks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted an answer in the Raspie forum thread. Turns out that the (two) drivers gpio-ir-rx and gpio-ir-tx can very well do the job.

Hope this helps.

The Robman wrote:
Hmm, you've not been getting much help from the Raspberry Pi folks

The problem was that it was formulated as IrScrutinizer support, but was a question about the /dev/lirc device; the driver lirc_rpi has been removed (and is not really resurrectable). A problem these guys seem to know well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: