JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.09 No Remotes Found on Windows 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: RMIR v2.09 No Remotes Found on Windows 10 Reply with quote

Hi! I've been successfully using RMIR v2.07 on Windows 7 for a long time. I have a new machine (Windows 10) and am installing all the applications I need on it.

I saw RMIR v2.09 was available and installed it. I am using a USB JP1 cable. I can't see any of my remotes. The program always says "No Remotes found."

So... I installed RMIR v2.09 on my old Windows 7 laptop, and sure enough it works just fine.

I've tried a number of things... Starting with giving Administrator Privileges to the program. Nothing I've tried seems to let me access my remotes from Windows 10. But I do know my remotes and USB JP1 cable are good because I can move to the older Windows 7 machine, plug everything in, and it works.

Can anybody give me a few ideas on what to try? I've read all the documentation, and so far I haven't found anything that has helped.

THANKS SO MUCH!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get my older JP1 cable to work under Win10 either (my FTDI cables still work). I intend to re-investigate this this weekend.

Here are the instructions:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25588
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-followed all the instructions and got the WinUSB driver installed again. I still get "No remotes found" using RMIR, but just for fun I thought I'd try IR.exe and it worked, so not sure what the difference is. But if you have followed the instructions posted above, give IR.exe a try and see if that works for you.
ednedn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks Rob, I got the old cable to work with Windows 10 for both IR.EXE and RMIR.EXE.

The directions you posted helped a lot. But I want to add a little more detail because I suspect other people will run into this problem over time.

Those directions were very good and helpful. BUT... they did not quite envision the state I was in. I had loaded several different USB-Serial drivers trying to get things to work.

I needed to explicitly 'Uninstall Device' to get rid of the current driver. And then replug in the cable. And do you know what happens??? The previous driver that was installed becomes the one assigned to the port.

I had to 'Uninstall Device' and plug in the cable several times to unwind the stack of drivers Windows had available.

AND THEN I FINALLY GOT TO THE POINT WHERE THAT MAGIC Vista v3.2.0.0 driver was the only thing left and Windows was forced to use it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

I've gone to eBay and ordered several of the current FTDI cables at: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360 I'm going to try to get my hardware 'current'.

I have a quick question: Is the only difference in the cable and connector for JP-1 and JP-1.2 / JP-1.3 that the Pin 5 !JP1.1-Start is disconnected?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the JP1USB cable is now working using IR.exe, I think that confirms that I've loaded the driver correctly. So now I am curious why RMIR isn't working. I notice that it appears to use jp1usb.dll for JP1USB, rather than WinUSB, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Hopefully Graham can comment on this.

LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp1usb' from 'C:\Users\Lisa\Documents\JP1\RM\Windows-amd64\jp1usb.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'jp1usb' successfully from 'C:\Users\Lisa\Documents\JP1\RM\Windows-amd64\jp1usb.dll'
JP1USB version 0.04

Here is my rmaster.err file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25733

ednedn wrote:
I have a quick question: Is the only difference in the cable and connector for JP-1 and JP-1.2 / JP-1.3 that the Pin 5 !JP1.1-Start is disconnected?

That conversation split to here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102239
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I notice that it appears to use jp1usb.dll for JP1USB, rather than WinUSB

No, jp1usb.dll is at a higher level than WinUSB. Both are used. jp1usb performs functions that are built in to IR.exe, which is why no dll is needed for IR.exe. I suspect the reason IR works but RMIR does not may be a timing issue. The difference between jp1usb v0.031 and v0.04 was a timing fix - the note on the v0.04 release says "Fixes timing issue causing uploads to crash on some modern PCs with fast processors." This may be a similar problem. Is your machine particularly fast or powerful, Rob?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Is your machine particularly fast or powerful, Rob?
Lol, hell no, this is a "piece of crap" Acer Aspire ES1-512, which had previously been rejected by my wife for being too slow. I just picked it up when my Win7 Gateway machine died. This laptop is slow AF. Heck, maybe the problem is that it's TOO slow, lol.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my machine is an Acer Aspire 6, which doesn't sound too different from yours. It might be worth using DebugView while attempting a download with the Delcom cable. There are a few debug statements in jp1usb, and although they were primarily put there to help diagnose write issues rather than read ones, they might show something of help. DebugView v4.76 is in Tools > Programs though I am using v4.81 which you can get from the web. If you don't know it, you just have to have it open while running a program. There is an Edit > Clear Display menu item to clear the display before running the app of interest, as you will find that Windows itself outputs to it as well.

If this doesn't show up anything useful, I will add more debug statements to jp1usb to try to find the cause of the problem, but that won't be immediate as I am busy with other things.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is totally weird, I ran DebugView and then did a download using IR.exe to see what results that gave, then did one from RMIR, and this time it worked. I have no idea what changed, but I'm not going to question it. I've even got the DIY Gadget Adapter working now too, so I can positively identify pin1 on it, as it's never marked and people often ask.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad all is now sorted, even if we don't know why. If it happens again, let me know so that we can explore further, but I agree that for now it is best to leave well alone.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a 100% reliable, but when it stops, I just shut down RMIR, unplug the cable, then start over and it works. It did look like I had a problem because I was getting a big error message when trying to download from my URC-6131, so I downloaded with IR.exe instead and that program gave me a message saying that the checksum was invalid, so I did a 981 to clear it, then re-tried RMIR and it worked too. So, in conclusion, it appears that a bad checksum prevents RMIR from completing the download. If you didn't want to lose your data by doing a 981, it looks like you would need to download with IR.exe, have it fix the checksum and re-load, in order to download with RMIR. So, a future enhancement might be to have RMIR handle bad checksums a little better, I think it should let you complete the download and just give a message that the checksum was bad, but it will fix it for you if you continue.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I am surprised by this for two reasons. First, I have never come across a remote that can have a bad checksum. If you upload a setup, the remote verifies the checksum and if it is invalid, it does a factory reset. The remote itself should be incapable of creating a bad checksum by user actions. Secondly, RMIR does not verify the checksum during a download. It downloads the entire E2 area just as hex, and does not attempt to parse it till the download is complete. Indeed, it would be impossible for it to verify the checkum till it has the data to verify. So I don't know what was going on, but I suspect the corruption occurred during the download process, through an error that IR ignored but RMIR did not. I think the problem lay in the remote, not in RMIR. I don't think it would be possible, or even desirable, to make RMIR ignore errors that occur during the download process.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't have a way to force a bad checksum into a remote, but it does happen occasionally, in this case, RMIR asked me which remote it was (because there are several versions of the 6131), then after that I got the big pop-up message saying something along the lines of, there may be a bug in RMIR, etc. So I tried it a few times just to make sure it wasn't a momentary glitch, then I moved over to IR.exe where I got the checksum message. So next I did the 981, verified it was good with IR.exe then switched back to RMIR and it was also good now.

I had got the big pop-up on a few other occasions but didn't do the corresponding test with IR.exe to identify that it was a checksum error.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big pop-up you refer to is the one that suggests you do a raw download and post it for me to look at. If so, next time it happens, give that a try. A raw download certainly does not involve any checksum verification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: