JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Millenium4 remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckeays

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Millenium4 remote Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have an older millenium 4 remote. I just would like to know which cable I need in order to program it.

I tried a JP1.2 and a JP1 (both serial) cables but it does not see the remote.
I tested the cables and they work on other remotes.
The remote works.

How do I find what interface is needed if I should come across this problem in future? I found the jpg file and map file in the remotemaster folder, but it does not say what interface is required.

Thanks in advance.

edit: I finally found the chart here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/RemoteChart
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, all the Mil 4 remotes were JP1 (EEPROM) remotes that should work with older JP1 cables (ie, before JP1.x).

On a go-forward basis, nobody makes or sells the old JP1 cables anymore, so what you need is a JP1 adapter with an FTDI cable. FTDI cables work with all JP1.x type remotes.

Details here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
ckeays

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.

I do have a homemade JP1 serial cable from many years ago. It's the one with the 74HC03. Trouble is that the programmer cable doesn't see the remote.
Maybe there is something wrong with the cable. It DID work last time I used it.

I only need to program this remote one time.
I have the original file from this remote that i read with ir.exe years ago. I also removed the eeprom and read it with my universal programmer then re-installed the eeprom. Remote is working fine.

If I load the original dump from this remote (the IR file) and make the changes in RM, then save the file, how can I get a bin or hex file in order to program the eeprom with my universal desktop programmer? Is the hex data present in the output of the rmdu file?

(I intend to remove the eeprom and program it, then re-install it.)

thanks in advance
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly the hard way to do it, but if you're comfortable removing the EEPROM, re-writing to it outside of the remote, and then re-installing it, you can certainly do that.

There's 2 sides to the RM program, there's RM itself, which is just for creating and modifying device upgrades, and then there's RMIR, which is for programming the remote as a whole. And RMIR can invoke RM, but not the other way around.

So, if you have an IR file from the remote, you can certainly open it and re-program it using RMIR. From there you can add new device upgrades and do any other changes that you like. Normally from there you would save the RMIR file, which you probably should do too, but you can also elect to save an IR file, if you like, and that's what you probably need to do in order to get the data loaded back onto the removed EEPROM chip.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I ended up removing the 24C08 eeprom and using a spring loaded adapter I reprogrammed it with a hex file I made with the rmir file remote master created.

I just copied the buffer to a new text file and edited every single line to include the correct record structure and finally ran the file through srecord to calculate the line checksum.

Certainly not the easiest way to do it, but once the eeprom was re-installed it works.

The only really hard part was editing every single line of the 1K hex file.
This is why I asked if there was some way for IR.exe or Remotemaster to output a ready made hex or bin file.

Thanks for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever have to do this again, let me know what the "correct" format is for the hex file as there's probably an easier way to do it than manually editing every line. I usually use Excel for mass edits like that.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to add ":10" in front of the two byte address then replace "=" with the record type (00).

I did this at the beginning of each line.

Then remove all the spaces, and add an end record string at the end of the file, ":00000001FF".

I then ran the hex file through srecord to add the checksum to the end of every single line.

I have since fixed my parallel port JP1 cable so the remote has been programmed a "few" times since I re-installed the eeprom.

The serial JP1 cable with the 74HC03 still does not work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever need to do that sort of editing again, post on here for help because I could easily program Excel to do those sorts of edits.

Regarding your JP1.2 remote, I would recommend getting yourself one of those FTDI cables that I mentioned earlier, they're all under $10 shipped, some are only $3 or $4. If you would be wanting to use the cable a lot, it's worth getting some of the Dupont headers for it, otherwise make sure you get one with individual connectors so you can hook it up manually. Sure, that would be a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to removing an EEPROM and programming it, lol.
ckeays

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for your help.

Yes I do have quite a few of the FTDI cables, and they work very well.
They just wouldn't work with the JP1 remote (the only JP1 remote I have).

and I have lots of dupont wires, headers etc.

(I enjoy tinkering)

I was curious to try and locate a schematic or pinout of the JP1.x > JP1 adapter so I can use my JP1.3 cable on the JP1 remote.

If anyone knows, please send me the link. I searched but I cannot find it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I love about us JP1ers. We'll do countless hours of tedious, complex work to save $10.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't download them to verify, but I think the following docs are what you're looking for:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11537
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7959
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7954

Or, like Mike said, you can spend $10 to get one ready-made:
https://www.diygadget.com/remote-control-accessories/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter
ckeays

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
This is what I love about us JP1ers. We'll do countless hours of tedious, complex work to save $10.

Not really about the money, it's about the knowledge.
Not worth building one of these adapters when I only have one JP1 remote.
I can't understand why they would sell this adapter for $10 when there is a microcontroller involved, with the parts alone the cost is way more than $10.

Thank you for the links Rob.
I did something simlilar back in 2004 programming eeproms through the serial port using a terminal program.
Code:
*** I2C PROGRAMMER ***
 (1) Read Memory
 (2) Erase
 (3) Fill Memory
 (4) Program Memory
 (5) Dump Specified Region
 (6) Erase Specified Region

One version was an eeprom copier/programmer. Very simple, didn't need connection to a computer, totally stand alone. I can probably change it to copy a JP1 eeprom remote without using a computer. (if I had lots of spare time)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though DIY Gadget is in Canada, the guy that runs it is Chinese and I assume he gets all his stuff made in China, so he's probably getting them made quite cheaply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: