JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where can I buy a JP1 extension thingy in the UK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevjs1982

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy a JP1 extension thingy in the UK? Reply with quote

I have been happily using my slightly modified JP1.x cable for just over a year to configure my OneForAll Digital 12 (URC 7780) and this worked with a little bit of filing on the connector, but annoyingly the connector doesn't fit into my new OneForAll Digital 5 (URC 7556) which I wish to programme, I fear any further filling will break the connector.

I see DIY Gadget has a suitable connector but with the appalling £/US$ exchange rate at present and no idea how much for postage the costs seams rather steep for a little adaptor. (especially as the cable cost US$5 with US$15 shipping when the exchange rate was a much more favourable £2/US$1 vs the current £1/US$1!)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for it in the UK - I have browsed the CPC site and can't seam to spot it (but I'm not really sure what I am looking for). If it costs pennies I wouldn't mind buying a couple of larger ones and hacking them down if needed, but my gluing skills are rather pathetic to say the least.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the outer strain relief clip altogether and add a dab of super glue to what's left. That will work fine. If it's still too big, file off the rest and glue together.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any JP1 vendors in the UK, but if removing the strain relief doesn't work, maybe Tommy Tyler will post what the parts are so you can try getting them from a UK parts supply.
kevjs1982

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies.

Alas pulling the strain relief thing off won't help - the widest part contains the holes and the top (strain relief) bit slots inside it (says FC-6P on it if that means anything). I would post a picture but my camera is useless in low light/under energy saving lightbulbs!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own JP1.2 interface and used part of a HDD cable and connector (just hacksawed through it). It just manages to fit into a URC-7555 (same size hole as the 7556 I think). Perhaps you could make an adapter using part of a male IDC header (79p in Maplins) and an old IDE cable.
kevjs1982

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea underquark, alas my soldering skills are worse than the gluing ones.

Using a nail file I was able to remove enough of the plastic to get it to fit (annoyingly if the hole was in the centre it would have been fine!) just about - working now.
kevjs1982

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevjs1982 wrote:
Nice idea underquark, alas my soldering skills are worse than the gluing ones.

Using a nail file I was able to remove enough of the plastic to get it to fit (annoyingly if the hole was in the centre it would have been fine!) just about - working now.

Anyone else reading this - don't bother trying this - mine failed a couple of days later Rolling Eyes - fortunately the dollar is now in freefall against the pound so everything was nice and cheap again Smile Now got a new one with the converter dongle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: