JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

where can I get an ftdi chip jp1.x cable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolific absolutely stinks, especially with JP1. If you buy anything, get FTDI. Stay far away from Prolific.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice.
I conclude for users who needs a reliable jp1.2/3 to usb adapter, go with ftdi. The cheaper option is from ebay seller chip_partner for usd 10. The other more expensive option is to buy parts from mouser.com as Tommy Tyler's doc mentions, for usd 21 plus shipping.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I uninstalled all other drivers and install this one. No luck.
Maybe it is worth while for me to buy a newer chip pl2303hxd or pl2303ta usb to serial adapter that works on windows 10. How about this idea?

After you install the driver you need to go through the driver selection process and pick the Winows Vista driver from 2007 as outlined in the document I linked earlier in this thread. You need to repeat the driver selection EVERYTIME Windows does an update.

It seems to work just fine with my ancient Dynex USB Adaptor.

Did your USB adaptor have an older Windows driver that will work with this process?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
Thanks for your advice.
I conclude for users who needs a reliable jp1.2/3 to usb adapter, go with ftdi. The cheaper option is from ebay seller chip_partner for usd 10. The other more expensive option is to buy parts from mouser.com as Tommy Tyler's doc mentions, for usd 21 plus shipping.

As chip_partner is out of stock, I am very confident that this alternative cable that I have found will work, you just need to change the plug on the end, which you pretty much have to do with the chip_partner cable too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362674416441
chuliu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
chuliu wrote:
I uninstalled all other drivers and install this one. No luck.
Maybe it is worth while for me to buy a newer chip pl2303hxd or pl2303ta usb to serial adapter that works on windows 10. How about this idea?

After you install the driver you need to go through the driver selection process and pick the Winows Vista driver from 2007 as outlined in the document I linked earlier in this thread. You need to repeat the driver selection EVERYTIME Windows does an update.

It seems to work just fine with my ancient Dynex USB Adaptor.

Did your USB adaptor have an older Windows driver that will work with this process?

Hi, Vicky. Yes, I followed every step of the instruction. I don't know if the older drivers on aten's web site works with win10 or not.

Rob, I just realized that the seller doesn't ship to Hong Kong. I asked the seller if he could make an exception but the answer is no. I also found out that chip_partner also doesn't ship their cable to Hong Kong.

I would appreciate if you could find me some sources with possible working cables on ebay that ship to Hong Kong. Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try this one (pick Independent option). Ships from Hong Kong and looks like it has an FTDI chip and TX/RX LEDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-6Pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable-for-Arduino/312234679584
chuliu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mdavej. The link when I open it, it shows shipping from shenzhen, cn. does not ship to hong kong. I am asking him for a favor by making me an exception.

I think I could have asked the seller, but since Rob ordered a cable from them. Do they provide tracking info for the package? Because I can use a mail forwarding service in usa to forward the package to me ideally by providing the mail forwarder tracking number. If they provide tracking number then I can enter it on the mail forwarding service web site, and keep track of how it gets shipped to Hong Kong. If not, it will be a lot harder for me, the customer, to know when the package arrives hk.

I do hope the seller that mdavej posted will be willing to send to hk. If not, guess I need to ask if he can provide tracking number so I can utilize mail forwarding service.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tinyurl.com/y4a5ecrh

Does this look any good?
It ships to hk. It is canadian dollar 17.5 shipped.

https://tinyurl.com/yxk529c9
This is gbp 5 excluding shipping.

these two from taobao
https://tinyurl.com/y23ljvkp

https://tinyurl.com/y6zqteyr
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also TxSat Electronics which sells genuine FTDI JP1.x cables to Tommy Tyler's design. I presume they are shipped from the US, the website just says to contact them for cost of shipping outside the US. TxSat seldom gets a mention, presumably because they are expensive, but the cable comes ready to use, with the correct 6-pin connector for our remotes. It may be worth considering.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That's usd 36.95 plus shipping and the shipping cost should be no less than 7.95. Anyway, I will think about it.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a standard (but "genuine") FTDI cable, part number TTL-232R-3V3. This is a standard product available from all major electronics distributors, but somewhat pricey (18.34 EUR on Mouser). Important is that it should operate on 3.3 Volts; there is also a 5V version, but it may fry your remote. Drawback is that it comes with a 1 x 6 connector, which needs to be changed into the JP1 2 x 3 setup. Some mechanical skills required for this (but no soldering!).

chuliu, the ones you linked to look like FTDI, 5V. It is "not unlikely" that they are counterfeit (if they are much cheaper than the original, they almost surely are), but they may still work.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to order this since I have 2 jp1.x to com port cable, if the com port to usb fs232 will work as expected, then I can live with it.

If not, I think I will ask chip_partner to make an exception to mail me their cable. Or I will have to order from txsat at much higher price for a genuine product customized for jp1.x remotes.

Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one may not work. I only see 4 conductors, not the 6 typically seen on cables that work with JP1.x.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That one may not work. I only see 4 conductors, not the 6 typically seen on cables that work with JP1.x.

I cancelled the order since it may not work with jp1.x.
Barf, thanks for the info. I was not aware of the 5v and 3.3v thing.
I am waiting for txsat to get back to me with a quote on shipping and handling cost. I hope it will not be too high.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a deal from this seller

She/he was kind enough to offer me shipping to Hong Kong at usd 2.01 extra shipping. I have also ordered this to make the cable work with jp1.x

Will let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: