JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.07 build 2 with a URC-7880 and BLED112
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also remembered that there should be a line in rmaster.err saying ""Disconnected with reason code 0xNNNN" where NNNN is a hexadecimal value. Could you let me know this code, please.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the last lines in rmaster.err. They were the same for the two times I've checked so far.

Interface Name = JP2BT
Port Name = COM4
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Testing interface: CommHID
Testing interface: JP2BT
Interface matched. Trying to open BLE interface
Trying to connect to BLED on port COM4
Connected to BLED after 0ms
Connected BLE interface on port COM4
BLE stack is Texas Instruments
Port Name = COM4
Opened on Port COM4
Basic connection to remote succeeded
Disconnected with reason code 0x23e
Failed at stage 2
BLED112: Receiver thread stopped.
Connection failed to complete
RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered
StephenR0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I've run into one additional thing. I'm starting to figure out how rmir relates to this remote. I've got my upgrades loaded and I've configured my activities. I use macros on the activities to switch the hdmi inputs on my receiver. This works just fine on every activity except WatchMovie. It seems like the macro simply never gets executed. Otherwise, the activity leaves the remote correctly configured for the device. Is there a chance that the rdf file has a problem that keeps the macro from executing on that activity?

Edit: It must be something else. I can't get it to work if I enter the macro directly on the remote either. I'll have to continue working on it.

Further edit: There was an odd thing though. After entering the macro directly on the remote, then I downloading from the remote into rmir, the macro was on the wrong activity. I entered the macro on the WatchMovie activity, but it appeared on the ListenToMusic activity in rmir. I don't have a theory about that.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your extract from rmaster.err was very helpful, it told me exactly what was failing. That does not mean that I know how to resolve it, but I have a trial version for you that might help. The RMIR Development folder now has RMIR207build8.zip, intended for you only. It contains just a RemoteMaster.jar file to replace that in build 7. Please try it and report back.

It appears that the first data packet sent to the remote, after the basic connection is established, gets no response from the remote. This supports my hunch that it might be being sent too quickly. I have put in a 50ms delay before it is sent, and it now tries again if no response is received, up to three times. I have also adjusted some other timing parameters. No guarantees, but worth a try.

The Activities problem is an error in the rdf. I don't know how it got there, but it is probably wrong also in the rdfs of the 7980 and 7955 as well. I need to check that those need the same fix. Just edit the rdf with Notepad or similar and replace the last line of the [Buttons] section with:

Code:
WatchTV=$68:groupActivity,WatchMovie,ListenToMusic,PlayGame,Custom

That should sort it out.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are looking a lot better. I've connected many times. I only had one failure. Here are the messages.

Interface Name = JP2BT
Port Name = COM4
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Testing interface: CommHID
Testing interface: JP2BT
Interface matched. Trying to open BLE interface
Trying to connect to BLED on port COM4
Connected to BLED after 1ms
Connected BLE interface on port COM4
BLE stack is Texas Instruments
Port Name = COM4
Opened on Port COM4
Connect direct returned result 0, handle 0
[9c:ac:6d:f2:a5:d4] Conn = 0 Flags = 5
Basic connection to remote succeeded
Disconnected with reason code 0x23e
Attempt 1 to discover services failed
Attempt 2 to discover services failed
Attempt 3 to discover services failed
Service discovery failed to end
Failed at stage 2
BLED112: Receiver thread stopped.
Connection failed to complete
RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered

The change to the RDF seemed to make things work with the macros on activities as well. The only other oddity so far concerns macros on some of the buttons. It looks like a macro on the power button (shifted or not) doesn't work in an activity. In addition, devices don't seem to be able to have macros. I've had some trouble using macros on shift-1 and shift-2. They don't work right after starting an activity, but after a delay they work just fine. Now I didn't rebuild all of my upgrades again after changing the RDF file. Is there any chance that I need to do that to avoid some kind of corruption? I'll continue to work with it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that there has been a substantial improvement in the connection success rate. I am not too worried about the occasional failure. The reason code 0x23e is sent by the dongle and translates as "Connection Failed to be Established". It may seem odd that this comes after "Basic connection to remote succeeded", but that means the protocol exchange to create the connection has succeeded but it is not considered to be established until there has been at least one exchange of data packets through the connection. Further notes in the dongle documentation about reason code 0x23e say that due to interference "it is normal to see roughly 1-2% error rate when opening connections". However, I am puzzled that "Disconnected with reason code 0x23e" came before the attempts to discover services. I will investigate further but if necessary I will accept the current situation as satisfactory.

The RDF error should not have caused any corruption and you should not need to rebuild your upgrades. I think your remaining oddities are due to the normal behaviour of the remote, but as I am no expert on that, you may like to do what you suggested earlier and start another thread about this behaviour and about setting up the remote more generally.

I have started work on the extender needed to permit uploads via Bluetooth but I would expect it to be a few weeks before it is ready to test.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that you're right about the oddities. And I've been able to work around them for the most part. At this point the remote is pretty functional. I'll be interested in trying your extender when you're ready. But, I think I'm pretty good at this point.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the extender needed to permit uploads to the URC7880 via Bluetooth. Development has gone faster than I expected, so it will be ready in the next few days, rather than the few weeks I said earlier.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'll give it a try when you're ready.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a few days - it is done Very Happy . Here is URC-7880 Extender v1.00, complete with installation instructions. This extender allows use of all RMIR features through the Bluetooth connection to the URC-7880 with the BLED112 dongle, in particular uploading which is not possible without the extender.

As with the corresponding extenders for the URC-7980 and URC-7955, this is actually an extender installer. It is used once only, to install the extender, and can then be deleted. The extender itself takes up no room in user memory and survives a factory reset or change of batteries. It can be removed if required by use again of the extender installer, which contains facilities for both installation and uninstallation of the extender.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the extender and successfully reinstalled my rmir file through the bluetooth interface. As I expected, after loading all my upgrades and macros, I still have used maybe 40% of memory. I think this will work just fine. Thanks, Graham. It looks good from here! Smile
snidely

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Regular download problems Reply with quote

I picked a good time to buy the 7880, since you recently got it working.
I was able to install the extender, and it works great.
The connection always works well, as does the raw download.
The upload works fine too.

The only problem I have now, is that after I use the phone app to add some VCRs not included, I get a download error at about 20%

Actually, doing a 981 reset seems to be the only way to get a successful regular download.

I am including the raw download file 6061.ir:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=142

Here is the end of the master.err
Port Name = COM6
Opened on Port COM6
Interface opened successfully
Base address = $3D000
Searching for RDF
Final signature sought = 606101
Remote identified as: URC-7880 Smart Control
Connection data: Voltage = 5.86, Signal: -38dBm
Number of bytes read = $800
Ending normal download
Data parsing started
Download error: null
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException[url]
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make your raw download immediately after an unsuccessful normal download? If so, it should be an accurate copy of the data that would not download. This puzzles me, as RMIR loads that raw download without any error. In case you didn't know it, RMIR loads raw download files (with a .ir extension) as well as saved setups with a .rmir extension. I have even loaded it into my URC7880 and it downloads without a problem.

The excerpt from the rmaster.err file also tells me nothing. Is that really the end of the rmaster.err file? Normally there would be quite a lot more, identifying what caused the error. So I am at a loss to know how to investigate further. All I can suggest at present is that when it happens, do a raw download and then load that into RMIR. You could then also upload it from RMIR back into the remote, if you wish. That should clear any remaining problem with the remote, unless of course the same problem causes the upload to fail, too.

I have not tried using the phone app with a remote that has the extender. My best guess is that the phone app is leaving the remote (with extender) in a state that RMIR does not recognise. Perhaps that is not surprising, as the phone app is not designed to work with the extender, but I did not expect it to happen. BTW Which extender are you using? Version 1 with the BLED112 dongle or version 2 with the native Windows Bluetooth stack?
snidely

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I am new to RMIR, and there's lots to learn.

First, I want to make sure I'm starting RMIR correctly. I click on the RemoteMaster.jar file, and I get the message "Couldn't read protocols.init. Then I click on the rdf file, and it starts.

1) As per the message after not being able to do the normal download, I exited RMIR, then connected and did a raw download. I tried many different 6061.ir files using file open, and I get an error message "error loading 6061.ir.
I can open the .rmir file from the good regular download, but I see no rmir files after the raw download.

I determined that the phone app causes most of the problems, so I'll not use the app, and figure out how to add my Sony Beta and JVC DVHS using RMIR

I am using the v100.hex extender with Win7 64bit and the bled112 dongle. The uploads work fine. Nice job!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snidely wrote:
I click on the RemoteMaster.jar file, and I get the message "Couldn't read protocols.init."

You should not get that message, so there is something wrong with your RMIR installation. You should have unzipped RemoteMaster.v2.07build2.zip into an empty folder that is not read-only, and in particular is not a sub-folder of "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". If you did that then double-clicking on RemoteMaster.jar should open it without any error message.

If you did that, then check that the installation folder contains both the RemoteMaster.jar file and protocols.ini. If it does, then you should not get a message that it cannot find protocols.ini. Perhaps the safest thing is for you to delete your installation of RMIR and re-install it. The full installation instructions are in this post. I think we need to make sure you have a complete and valid installation before trying to diagnose any other problems you may have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: