JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Key Move Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Key Move Question Reply with quote

I am probably missing something dumb and obvious, but in any case, I need more help.

In this case, the Vizio TV controls Input selections.

This works with the "TV Input" function assigned to the TV button in the TV device (Vizio)

When I am using another device button and press the TV button, the Vizio switches to TV Input.

However, I am stuck on the switch back from the TV to another button.

In the TV device, I assigned "Input HDMI2" function to the DVD button.

When the DVD button is pressed, the remote switches to the DVD device, but the "Input HDMI2" is not executed.

What am I missing?

Could it be that the assigned command executes _after_ the device switches to the other device where the TV's input command does not exist?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, I have also tried several combinations of key moves to bind the DVD button (in the DVD device) to the TV function "Input HDMI2"

Beverly Howard
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device buttons, such as TV, DVD, CBL, etc aren't normally supposed to send signals, they are just supposed to put the remote in that mode, and as such the remote's programming won't let you program keymoves to them (even if the JP1 tools do allow you to).

The one exception to this rule are RCA universal remotes, as they DO like to have the device buttons select the mode also. I recall the RCA RCU810 had a button that could be programmed in each mode that we generically called "device button", and when a code was assigned to that button (in the device upgrade only) it would be sent when the device button was pressed.

So in your case, the question isn't why didn't the code work on the DVD button, but why DID the code work in TV mode. You don't mention which remote you are talking about, but if you did, we could probably explain what's allowed in that remote.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's an RCA, the OARUSB04G.

FWIW, my current process is trying and learning all of RM's programming options more than a remote need.

I have a couple of friends lined up to build premium remotes for and I want to get as far as I can with mine before I start with theirs.

I'm not concerned since I assume that I can do what I need to do using other options such as macros.

The interesting thing is that this works when returning to the TV button from another button...
...but it does not work when _leaving_ the TV button to go to another button. That makes me assume that the first thing that happens when a button is pressed is the layout switch, but, before additional features such as keymoves are available.

Biggest computer game in the world and more fun and challenging than regular games. This particular quest kept me up last night until 5am

Thanks for the response... will continue to plug away.

Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really familiar with programming that remote, but I do see that the 3 device buttons (TV, DVD, STB) are available to be programmed via upgrades, so give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: