JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MCE keyboard mouse functions (was: Inteset question?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: MCE keyboard mouse functions (was: Inteset question?) Reply with quote

Hello Folks! Very new here. I've had an Inteset 422 (I think its a -2) for a few years and used it very clumsily for an all in one HTPC remote controlling a tv, soundbar, Xbox one, and HTPC running Kodi. I've always wanted to get the functionality of the Inteset to cover 100% of what I need which is pretty close to where I am now. I have my head wrapped around most issues, but I just haven't been able to find a solution for relieving my MCE keyboard of its mouse (track pad) function. I was wondering if the subject has ever been addressed by anyone on the forum? I did a quick search and found nothing so directly related to what I'm after so I'm asking here? can the Inteset be set up to move the mouse cursor? I know it does not have a "mouse type button" but maybe with the arrow keys?

Your efforts are appreciated!

Boomski...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MCE keyboard file in our file section has mouse buttons

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ortek is another PC control USB IR dongle and protocol with mouse commands. So it depends on what kind of IR dongle you use - MCE or Ortek.

This is the file you'd use for an Ortek dongle: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11382

While you can use your Inteset arrow keys (or any other keys) to move the mouse, it's a heck of a lot easier to just use a touchpad on a phone app like MobileMouse or HippoRemote, or a keyboard like the Logietch K400r.
boomski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I had started (and continue) to look for a 4 in 1 universal remote with a keyboard and track pad, and came across this forum and information on just how versatile the Inteset remote is, I had no idea the remote I was using had the capability to be so totally customized. I agree with the notion that a track pad and keyboard are far more efficient, so I will likely keep looking for something in that vien. But, I think I will also explore the Inteset's capabilities using the MCE remote file mentioned. I'll post again if I have specific issues when working through that setup. Thanks to those who responded for pointing me in the right direction.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I spend a lot of time with the MCE keyboard and remotes several years ago.

In addition to the fact that navigating the cursor with a remote's cursor pad being impractical, I found that the MCE commands often triggered other responses from my TV such as powering it down when I issued some MCE commands.

My solution, which has served us well for almost a decade, is to add a bluetooth mouse to the coffee table. I still have the MCE remote on a device button and use those buttons frequently.

The ideal BT mouse was the microsoft presentation mouse which has transport (play/pause/etc) controls on the bottom of the mouse, but I am not sure if it is still available.

In addition to the mouse, put a shortcut for the OSK (On Screen Keyboard) on the desktop for text input when needed using the mouse.

Another trick is to name the desktop shortcuts you use frequently starting with the digits from 1-0. That way, you can use the remote's numeric keypad to select and execute your ten most common programs using two remote keypresses.

Hope that this information is helpful,
Beverly Howard
boomski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Very interesting tips. Thank you!
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other windows "gotcha" that you probably already know about is that the transport commands (play/pause/etc) in windows are not standardized.

MCE and other windows components such as WMP use the transport commands often found on PC keyboards, but most providers such as youtube, netflix, etc, don't respond to those commands at all.

However, the use of other commands such as <space> <enter> <cursorarrows> do seem to be somewhat standardized, but, of course, these commands don't work in microsoft land.

Beverly Howard
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, I've been setting up our MCE button and I spent some time this morning using the available MCE commands in firefox on windows controlling several different streaming services.

As mentioned previously, the MCE transport controls only function when controlling MCE and other microsoft based players.

The following might be helpful to others accessing streaming using a PC rather than streaming devices or embedded streaming services in "smart TV's"

The list is minimal, but it should be a starting point if you use other services.

Code:
Netflix
<OK>     = play/pause
<space>  = play/pause
L/R      = 10sec skips
up/dn    = vol (on service)

Acorn
<space>  = play/pause

Prime
<space>  = play/pause
L/R      = 10sec skips

Google (Play/Youtube)
<space>  = play/pause
up/dn    = vol (on service)
L/R      = 5sec skips

The one critical command that is missing from the MCE rmdu files here is <space> I'm currently addressing this need with a learned command from a different IR HID Remote.

I have looked at the <space> command in the MCE keyboard definition from the files section here, but it is in a different protocol (MANUAL) from the MCE remote (MCE)

If anyone knows the MCE protocol for <space> or can convert the MCE Keyboard <space> function it would be appreciated.

Hope that this information is helpful,
Beverly Howard
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has full qwerty, including space, function keys, etc.:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728

It is a manual protocol, but your MCE dongle should recognize it. You'll have to load it as it's own device and keymove Space to your main MCE device. Here's some background on how it was developed based on your learns that are in the Harmony database (thanks Bev). It took the collective efforts of our best JP1 minds to figure out.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100888

Unfortunately, this manual protocol isn't written for your remote. So you'll have to reach out to Rob or some other expert to translate it for the OARUSB04G.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already downloaded that file, and it's surprising that it's based on work that I did elsewhere years ago ;-)

The primary reason that I think it would be valuable to add the <space> command to the MCE rmdu file to expand the usefullness to others with windows "media computers" as part of their entertainment center.

I'm going to start out with a learned command from a different IR HID device for a couple of reasons;

First, the learned command is _much_ shorter than the MCE Keyboard command although it will require an additional dongle.

Second, the MCE IR dongles do not have the ability to "wake" a PC from the sleep mode, and this HID device does have that capability. So, it addition to sending the <space> (and potentially other useful commands) to windows, it offers the ability for the remote to wake up the computer without having to pull out the computer keyboard.

Thanks for the post and the reminder that I wasn't always this dumb ;-)

Beverly

PS, After working with Logitech for a couple of very frustrating (and expensive) years, it is my considered option that JP1 is _far, far_ superior to Harmony.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Unfortunately, this manual protocol isn't written for your remote. So you'll have to reach out to Rob or some other expert to translate it for the OARUSB04G.

I can only write S3C8/S3F8 protocols, I can't do MAXQ6xx code.

Bev's Inteset remote uses S3F8 though.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
I have looked at the <space> command in the MCE keyboard definition from the files section here, but it is in a different protocol (MANUAL) from the MCE remote (MCE)

If anyone knows the MCE protocol for <space> or can convert the MCE Keyboard <space> function it would be appreciated.

The only RM file linked in this thread is the manual one which includes SPACE, what is the other "MCE" file that you are referring to?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a wild guess and assuming that the MCE file is either this one, or something similar, I see that the functions in this file are very much "remote" functions whereas the functions in the previous file are very much "keyboard" functions, which explains why there isn't a SPACE button in the "remote" file.

However, I also notice that the OBCs are all in the ranges 0-38, 70-77 and 128, so there are some pretty big ranges of OBCs unaccounted for. It's quite possible that some of those missing OBCs are additional functions such as SPACE.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file you are referencing http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728 is derived from the full microsoft mce ir keyboard.

There are also microsoft MCE remote controls which are limited to transport keys, MCE specific commands and a numeric keypad.

The one I am using is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6185

The full MCE keyboard shows "Manual" protocol and the MCE Remote shows "MCE" protocol.

Having spent much of today searching and researching MCE topics, I have come to the conclusion that there is probably no commonality between these two devices and their commands.

Further while the MCE Remote commands appear clean, compact and sequential, the MCE Keyboard commands appear bloated.

In addition, I have found over the years that the MCE keyboard commands frequently trigger unwanted actions in other devices... for example, powering down the TV when issuing a keyboard command.

Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's quite possible that some of those missing OBCs are additional functions such as SPACE.

I've already started adding some of the missing OBC's and testing them... so far, I've only seen punctuation, but I will continue tomorrow.

Beverly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: