JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips 47PFL7422D LED TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Philips 47PFL7422D LED TV Reply with quote

I'm making good progress, but I have an older LED Philips 47PFL7422D TV

The definition in the files section here does not include the "transport" (play, pause, etc.) functions which exist on the original TV remote.

This TV optionally transmits these transport controls to devices attached via HDMI such as DVD players... works pretty well, especially when the players are enclosed in cabinets.

So, the question arises as to the best way to get these (and a few other) commands onto the remote _and_ to preserve them for future use.

I found that when I "learned" the commands and uploaded from the remote to RM, all of the device definitions were converted to files that had the existing commands but everything else in the original definition was omitted.

So, two questions;

best way to get these commands into the remote? i.e. simply learn them after the setup is as complete as possible or, capture them on a blank remote and upload them to RMIR to paste them into the ogiginal definition?

how to used the learned commands to either edit the existing definition or create a new one?

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bev, when you learn the signals, do they show the same protocol and device code as what you found in whatever RMDU file you are using? (hint: if you provide a link to the file, we'll at least know what info is in it).

If you don't know how to read learned signals, upload your RMIR file and provide a link to that.

Assuming the learns do show the same protocol and device code, you can simply add new functions to the RMDU file using the OBCs derived from the learned signals, then assign these new functions to buttons. Load this up into your remote and you should be good to go.

Final step of course, is to load your new file into the file section here.
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you have found an upgrade file for the base TV functions.
What you normally do is add the learned functions to the upgrade file (via OBC)
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Quote:
do they show the same protocol and device code as what you found in whatever RMDU file you are using?

Yes, at least on the transport controls that are on the original remote. I think that answers the question for those commands.

I do have a two additional learned commands that have a different protocol.

I assume they need to be handled as a different device, but not sure the best way to proceed with adding them.

Quote:
found an upgrade file for the base TV functions

Ironically, this was a file with a number of additional functions to the base commands, but they didn't include the transport controls. I'm hoping that I can successfully add them to the original upgrade file so that they are available for this TV.

Thanks again,
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always Bev, the more info that you provide the better our support will be. For starters, you still haven't provided a link to the file that you are using, so I don't know what the base protocol and device codes are.

Regarding these 2 additional functions:
1. Are they for this TV?
2. What are they?
3. What protocol/device codes do they use?
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am not near the RM computer, but headed there now.

Also need to "relearn" a couple of commands according to RM's notes.

Will repost with as much info as possible when I can.

Thanks for your patience,
Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... been too long since I did this.

The RMIR file that contains the learned signals is at

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25490

I tried to relearn the commands with
"Malformed signal: burst number byte has unexpected flag" errors, but was unsuccessful.

You have resolved the missing philips commands issue... what remains is for me to sit down and learn the definition revision process.

The Philips TV is passing commands through to a Samsung DVD player, but the TV can't pass the samsung eject nor pause commands.

They are Samsung36 protocol.

Probably forgetting something.

Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late... brains not working well.

Tomorrow,
Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hurry necessary on this problem.

I need to sit down with RM for a couple of days and see how far I can understand and progress.

My brain came up with a number of ideas last night that I will explore over the next several days.

Related, the Philips 47PFL7422D TV definition file I started with is;

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8024

I also think I discovered a philips definition code that contains the transport commands. It's on a non JP1 universal and I have not been able to try the code on the Inteset, plus I need to learn what's possible when starting with a remote's firmware device code.

Thanks again,
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bev, I notice that that file uses the RC-5/6 combo, yet all the buttons that are actually assigned just use RC-6. So, I have created a new file that uses RC-6 and includes all the functions that I found in other files (including the transport keys).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25491
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

(I've been working on this and learning today.)

I retried the "lean" commands using a different remote and finally got a clean copy of the philips transport commands.

I then updated the Philips 47PFL7422D definition file based on your help from yesterday.

I downloaded your file and see that it is identical to what I ended up doing. I now see the 5 transport commands and have them assigned to buttons.

I'm now going to tinker with learned commands for a while. I don't fully understand the changes to the device edit process after learned commands are uploaded, so if you have any wisdom to help with that, it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again,
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember is, we only use the learning feature of our remotes to capture new signals, we don't typically keep the learned signals in the memory.

As far as the process of adding the new functions to an existing upgrade, if you're using a file like the one that I created, you'll notice that all the functions use the same protocol and device code (RC6 and dev 0, in this case), so as long as the new learns use the same, all you need to do is add a new entry in the Functions tab in RM and enter the name and OBC of the new function. Then go to the Buttons tab and assign that new function to a physical button.

The process was harder using the file that you found because the file used a combo protocol, which not only combined different device codes, but also combined 2 different protocols (ie, RC5 and RC6).
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That makes sense with what I am beginning to remember and what I have observed over the last couple of weeks.
Quote:
we only use the learning feature of our remotes to capture new signals, we don't typically keep the learned signals in the memory.

I understand that, but in cases where only a couple of additional commands with different protocols are needed, I assume that the only way to add them to a device key is to either "learn" them or use a "key move" if they exist on a different device key?

Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remaining "puzzle" for me is the change in RM after learned keys are added to a populated remote.

When the RMIR is saved after learned keys are added, the device files seemed to be "locked"

For example, all of the remaining available functions (in red) disappear.

If the device file is "opened" again to reload the functions, strange things happen... for example, the table showing the used and available functions is collapsed and unreadable, although this seems to correct itself after several minutes.

I take this to mean that RMIR is in uncharted territory and edits could possibly cause problems.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks again,
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally we don't keep any learned signals, but you are right that using a couple of learned signals as you describe is ok, but personally I would use keymoves, either from a built in device (if one is present) or from a helper upgrade.

I really don't follow the RM vs RMIR stuff that you describe. I feel confident in saying that it's due to a limit in your understanding of the tools rather than a bug. Quick question, does the thing that you describe happen after you rr-download the memory from the remote, rather then when you re-open the RMIR file? If so, you need to understand that when you load an upgrade into a remote, you are only really loading raw data, you're not loading the full RMDU file, so the remote has no way of knowing what extra functions are available. Furthermore, the remote doesn't know what functions are assigned to each button, it only knows the code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: