JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

THANKS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

I've been working with universal remotes since at least the '80s and started with JP1 in 2005. I was completely hooked on customizing remotes when I finally figured out the mysteries of KM way back when.

Then, in 2013, I literally lost the ability to do anything other than to "use" remotes when I got flattened by cancer and chemo... ("Chemo Brain" is not fiction)

I continued to coast for years using the remotes that I had previously programmed but watched in dismay as the pile on the coffee table (and elsewhere) grew as remotes and the things they controlled died of old age and over use and had to be replaced.

I regularly returned to the JP1 forum, but my new brain could no longer grasp concepts that had previously been simple. The (apparent) demise of KM solidified my ossification as RM simply didn't make sense to my remaining gray cells since they wanted to return to the way KM did things.

The disappearance of parallel ports further complicated the matter. The purchase of a couple of different USB<->JP1 cables and their problems effectively closed the door more firmly.

A few returns to this forum with patient responses also ended in frustration because I was not up to even simple mental tasks.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a couple of OARUSB04G remotes and was able to manually program them using the accompanying code list. I installed RM and took a new look, but the only success that I had was to use RM to backup the main remote and restore it to the second remote so at least I didn't have to manually program both of them.

This week I finally had the time to dedicate most of my time to relearning the process. Slowly, I caught glimpses of things that I remembered and made progress building up a 4 device program. After each device, things began to make more sense again.

So, back to the topic of this missive. I was able to continue simply because I knew that this forum and it's participants were available if I couldn't do it myself, and, sure enough, yesterday, I hit a wall of two things I could not climb by myself despite spending hours on each, so, I posted.

The response was almost immediate, first a solid answer to one problem and second, info that prompted me to approach the problem with a different perspective.

An hour later, I had the device codes on the remote and everything was working... trivial, perhaps, but I hadn't felt this sense of achievement since the chemo began half a decade ago.

THANKS, to Rob and everyone who participates and contributes here. The resources of this forum are invaluable and unavailable anywhere else that I have been able to determine.

Beverly Howard
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: THANKS Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
An hour later, I had the device codes on the remote and everything was working... trivial, perhaps, but I hadn't felt this sense of achievement since the chemo began half a decade ago.

A perfect story for this time of year!

While playing with this stuff is indeed trivial, your battle with the big C is not. Hopefully you're in a better place today than you were a half decade ago.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beverly, I am glad that you continue to fight through adversity and also glad that this forum continues to exist to help those that help themselves. Season's greetings.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bev, sorry to hear about your cancer battles, I hope you are kicking its butt.

I was on vacation last week so I wasn't around to help you with your remote questions, but glad to see you got all the help you needed.

Happy Xmas to you and yours.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually expect to tear up on the hifi-remote forum!

So glad you are beating that monster Bev!

xnappo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: