JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Difference between JP1 and JP1.x cables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Difference between JP1 and JP1.x cables Reply with quote

split from: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102235

ednedn wrote:
I have a quick question: Is the only difference in the cable and connector for JP-1 and JP-1.2 / JP-1.3 that the Pin 5 !JP1.1-Start is disconnected?

JP1 and JP1.x are completely different.
ednedn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
ednedn wrote:
I have a quick question: Is the only difference in the cable and connector for JP-1 and JP-1.2 / JP-1.3 that the Pin 5 !JP1.1-Start is disconnected?

I have a number URC-8810 & URC-8811 remotes. Those are JP1. Right now I'm mostly using them to learn the codes for new remotes. But those are real good remotes.

I also have standardized on the OCAP-1056-B01 remotes. Those are mostly what I use. Those are JP1.3.

The only thing that is different about their use is the small adapter cable that needs to be plugged in: https://www.diygadget.com/remote-control-accessories/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter

I was thinking I would just build a dedicated JP-1 cable. And a dedicated JP-1.3 cable. It kind of looks like just a wire change (on the hardware side of things) between the two versions.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ednedn wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
ednedn wrote:

I have a number URC-8810 & URC-8811 remotes. Those are JP1. Right now I'm mostly using them to learn the codes for new remotes. But those are real good remotes.

I also have standardized on the OCAP-1056-B01 remotes. Those are mostly what I use. Those are JP1.3.

The only thing that is different about their use is the small adapter cable that needs to be plugged in: https://www.diygadget.com/remote-control-accessories/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter

I was thinking I would just build a dedicated JP-1 cable. And a dedicated JP-1.3 cable. It kind of looks like just a wire change (on the hardware side of things) between the two versions.
It is not just a wire change. That adapter is very long because there are a lot of micro electronics inside. They are completely different. Here's a schematic of what's inside that skinny DIY Gadget adapter:
ednedn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!!! OK!!! THANK YOU!!!

I don't have any way to program a PIC12HV609 (assumming I could get the code to put in it). I guess I'll still do what I was planning, but buy an extra conversion gizmo.

Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to build a dedicated JP1USB cable, here are the instructions:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4564

ednedn wrote:
don't have any way to program a PIC12HV609 (assumming I could get the code to put in it). I guess I'll still do what I was planning, but buy an extra conversion gizmo.

You don't need an extra JP1 adapter, you need an extra FTDI cable, that way you can have one cable dedicated to JP1.x remotes, and another dedicated to JP1 remotes. You won't even need to get an extra DuPont header, because you can attach the single pin connectors directly to the adapter, and then use some heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to hold everything in place permanently.
ednedn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't need an extra JP1 adapter, you need an extra FTDI cable, that way you can have one cable dedicated to JP1.x remotes, and another dedicated to JP1 remotes. You won't even need to get an extra DuPont header, because you can attach the single pin connectors directly to the adapter, and then use some heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to hold everything in place permanently.

Thanks! Good Thinking! I have two of the current Prolific USB to Serial converters on the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: