JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Future of Java and Remote Master

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelago

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Future of Java and Remote Master Reply with quote

With regards to Remote Master, which requires Java SE to run, I notice that when installing Java SE 8 update 191 on Windows, it points me at page https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp noting that Java SE may only be being updated for consumers until end of 2020. Businesses can licence Java for use after then, but that requires payment.

It's a while away yet, but any early ideas or plans on what to do about this yet? Maybe transition to a different Java-compatible runtime, assuming there is one?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I interpret that message is that support for Java 8 (and, to different degrees, earlier versions) will be terminated in the future. This is no more surprising than Microsoft dumps support for windows XP, earlier for mortals, later for those with big $$$.

The long term "solution" is of course to migrate to Java 10 (or later). RM already "almost" (seach!) supports Java 10.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

IrScrutinizer alread runs with Java 8 and Java 10.
pelago

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's much more straightforward than I realised. I didn't realise this was just talking about v8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: