JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reorder the Buttons in Device Upgrade Editor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reorder the Buttons in Device Upgrade Editor Reply with quote

Where does the Device Upgrade Editor get the order of the remote buttons in the Buttons tab? Is it possible to change the order?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reorder the Buttons in Device Upgrade Editor Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
Where does the Device Upgrade Editor get the order of the remote buttons in the Buttons tab? Is it possible to change the order?

An interesting question. It is indirectly determined by the firmware of the remote and cannot be changed. In the RDF you will find a section headed [ButtonMaps]. These are lists of keycodes used by RMIR to construct device upgrades, which must correspond to the way upgrades are used by the remote. The correspondence between buttons and keycodes is given in the [Buttons] section. All button maps begin with the digit, volume and channel buttons, after that the order is variable. The order of buttons in the Device Upgrade Editor is that in the longest button map. In certain remotes such as the XSight there is a final button map that has a special use and is ignored in selecting the longest one. This is when there is an entry "ActivityMapIndex" in the [General] section, the value of that entry is the number of the button map with this special use.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation. I am trying to streamline my process for creating an upgrade for a TV... when I don't have the original remote. It doesn't look like I can easily reorder the button list in RMDU, so I'm thinking that a work around would be using keymoves. e.g. When I press the Power button, the remote sends the signal for 0, press Replay but send signal for 1, press List but send signal for 2...
I can use Excel to quickly make keymove lists. How can I put them into RMDU or RMIR without manually entering each keymove? Or is there a better approach? The constant sorting, unsorting, and re-sorting that I'm doing w/ Excel and RMDU is causing me much distress.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. I am trying to streamline my process for creating an upgrade for a TV... when I don't have the original remote. It doesn't look like I can easily reorder the button list in RMDU, so I'm thinking that a work around would be using keymoves. e.g. When I press the Power button, the remote sends the signal for 0, press Replay but send signal for 1, press List but send signal for 2...
I can use Excel to quickly make keymove lists. How can I put them into RMDU or RMIR without manually entering each keymove? Or is there a better approach? The constant sorting, unsorting, and re-sorting that I'm doing w/ Excel and RMDU is causing me much distress.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do, especially when you say you will use keymoves as a work around for not being able to reorder buttons in RM, as one has nothing to do with the other.

So rather than focusing on the solution to the problem, let's focus on the problem that you're trying to solve. What are you trying to do?
DDE12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to reorder the the Button list in the button tab of RMDU.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
I would like to reorder the the Button list in the button tab of RMDU.

But why? That sounds like a solution to a problem, rather than the problem itself.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am testing OBC values for a piece if equipment I sort them numerically in Excel and assign them to a button on the remote in a left to right, top to bottom sequence. To accomplish this I have to re-sort the list to match that of the Buttons list in RMDU. Then I go back to Excel and un-sort that list back to the order I will test the buttons on the remote. There are many places for error with this and I want to eliminate the sorting.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
When I am testing OBC values for a piece if equipment I sort them numerically in Excel and assign them to a button on the remote in a left to right, top to bottom sequence. To accomplish this I have to re-sort the list to match that of the Buttons list in RMDU. Then I go back to Excel and un-sort that list back to the order I will test the buttons on the remote. There are many places for error with this and I want to eliminate the sorting.

I do not understand this at all. You assign OBCs in the Functions tab, not the Buttons tab. You can have the functions in any order you like, with any names you like. Call them F1 to F50 or something, then assign those functions, once and for all, to the buttons in the order that you want them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I would do it.
1. Copy/paste the list of button names to the Functions tab
2. Then copy/paste the Function names next to the buttons in the Buttons tab
3. Then copy/paste them to Excel
4. Enter the OBC values in Excel
5. Copy paste the OBC values to the Functions tab

Now you should have what you want, without needing to do any sorting. As for entering the OBCs, I would type in the first value then use formula to repeat it. For example, if the first function name is in A1 and the first OBC is in B1, then in B2 you can enter =B1+1 and then you can repeat it down (ie, highlight all the cells and do CNTL+D)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DDE12, did you make any headway with this?
DDE12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I do not understand this at all. You assign OBCs in the Functions tab, not the Buttons tab. You can have the functions in any order you like, with any names you like. Call them F1 to F50 or something, then assign those functions, once and for all, to the buttons in the order that you want them.

Sorry Graham that I could not explain it better. I was going to post some partial tables as examples, but the BBC Code I tried was not working. However, Rob smelled what I was stepping in and laid out a description for what I had also discovered the other day. I already had the spreadsheets started, so I copy and pasted the Buttons list from the Buttons tab into Excel. Then I re-sorted that list into the order I would be pressing buttons and put the OBC's in the next column. I then copy and pasted those 2 columns into the Functions tab of RMDU. I dragged the OBC column in RMIR next to the Name column to paste both columns in Excel at the same time. This allowed Auto Assign to assign everything where I needed it and eliminated any further sorting in Excel. This also slowed my hair loss and loss of eyesight.
I also used Excel to generate a list of keymove codes and thought I would just paste them into the Update tab of RMDU, but pasting is not possible like in the days of IR. I can add keymove segments to RMIR for the Titan 2056 (tedious but faster than using the Keymoves tab). There is no Segments tab in RMIR for the Atlas 1056.
Is it possible to get a Segments tab for the 1056 in RMIR?
Is it possible to paste Upgrade code into RMDU or RMIR similar to the way we previously did with iR?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is all so you can go searching for OBCs, you definitely should not be using keymoves, just use upgrades. We do it all the time. And don't worry about what order you press the buttons because most of them won't do anything, and when you come across one that does, just go back to the RMDU file that you used to see what the OBC is.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
Is it possible to get a Segments tab for the 1056 in RMIR?

No, as the 1056 has a different internal structure and does not use segments.

DDE12 wrote:
Is it possible to paste Upgrade code into RMDU or RMIR similar to the way we previously did with iR?

I'm not entirely sure what you want, but in the Device Upgrade Editor in RMIR there is a button "Import Raw" that gives you panels to enter the Upgrade Code and Protocol Code as in IR.exe. In RMDU the same is accessible from the menu Advanced > Import Raw Upgrade. I take it that this is what you want. If not, then please ask again.
DDE12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you want, but in the Device Upgrade Editor in RMIR there is a button "Import Raw" that gives you panels to enter the Upgrade Code and Protocol Code as in IR.exe. In RMDU the same is accessible from the menu Advanced > Import Raw Upgrade.

Yes, I think that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

The Robman wrote:
If this is all so you can go searching for OBCs, you definitely should not be using keymoves, just use upgrades.

No, but to have a better understanding of how these programs work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: