JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roku Stick Plus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Roku Stick Plus Reply with quote

Well, here I am again making my once a year JP1 change, trying to remember how it all works....

I am taking my JP1 set up I have used with Spectrum Cable, modifying it for a Roku Stick Plus set up. I have discontinued cable, now only using Hulu Plus with live TV, Amazon Prime and Tablo, all through a new Roku Stick Plus.

I did a file search for a Roku Stick Plus, and found the Roku (official) upgrade. Will this work with the Roku Stick Plus? Also, this upgrade has Hulu and Amazon, but not Tablo. Is there a way to assign a button to go directly to the Tablo app/channel?

Thank you.
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to work. I'll try learning the ROKU remote to my RCA
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stick has no IR whatsoever, so all upgrade and learning attempts will fail. Buy any Roku EXCEPT the stick if you want to control with a universal remote.
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doing too well. Tried to Learn a second non-extended RCA remote I have, from the Roku Stick Plus remote. The way the buttons blink during the process, it appears to be doing the learning correctly. However, when I test it on the TV/Roku, the "learned" RCA remote does not work, but the Roku remote works just fine.

Any help to get me in the right direction here would be appreciated.
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej.... I was thinking that may be the case, was just hoping that it was not!
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdavej, looking at the current line up of Roku devices, the Premiere for example, states the remote is a "simple remote". The Roku Premiere Plus shows what appears to be the same remote as the Streaming Stick Plus I have, that can't be JP1 programed.

So does that mean that the Roku Premiere will work JP1 with the upgrade file you posted, and the Premiere Plus and the Stick Plus will not?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure about the latest Premiere models, but in the past ALL models EXCEPT the sticks would still work with IR regardless of what type of remote came with the device. I looked up the Premiere Plus in the Harmony database and it indicated compatibility with their IR remotes.

I'd say it's a very strong likelihood that the Premiere Plus can receive IR.
sti491

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I did some more research. Sticks are only RF remote and receiver. Other models like the Premiere Plus, come with a RF remote, but the the receiver is RF AND IR. For being such a nice interface, Roku sure makes it hard to find this info!

Thanks again.
Grosz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sti491 wrote:
You're right. I recommend these amazing probiotics and did some more research. Sticks are only RF remote and receiver. Other models like the Premiere Plus, come with a RF remote, but the the receiver is RF AND IR. For being such a nice interface, Roku sure makes it hard to find this info!

Thanks again.

Why would the receiver be RF and IR if the remote is RF only? Makes no sense.

Last edited by Grosz on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you could use a universal remote to control the Roku, makes perfect sense to me. I guess they deleted the IR sensor on the stick which also makes sense given that the stick is probably hidden behind something usually.
sti491

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I figured re the stick. Why others have both on th receivers does seem a little odd.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem at all odd to me it seems thoughtful on their part, how many of us have universal remotes that do RF or BT? It's one of the more frustrating things about the PS3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: