JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Delcom drivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Delcom drivers Reply with quote

I am in the situation of trying to use a Prolific JP1.x cable with JP1 adapter to update a well-loved RS remote.

The Prolific .exe driver was no problem, installed as COM 6.

IR 8.02 confirmed this, it gave an Interface/Driver Status of:

The serial/parallel driver is functioning properly
Delcom USB Error: Unable to find Delcom device driver

The Delcom drivers are .inf/.sys and Windows usually asks for drivers when it recognizes new hardware, but this would only happen if the once-available USB/JP1 cable with Delcom parts was plugged in.

A right click on the Explorer entry to Install should work, but although the screen 'blinked' nothing happens, as confirmed by it not being listed at %SystemRoot%\inf\

Not all INFs respond to right click so used the command line of
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .USBIODS.inf
which returned an error of Installation failed. The same was true of all three versions.

Another attempt (Win7-only) with
pnputil -i -a USBIODS.inf
gleaned a little more information: "Adding the driver package failed:"

The reasons were different:

2006 driver - Access is denied
2007 driver - invalid INF passed as parameter
2008 driver - Access is denied

The systems being used were Win 7 and XP (on the premise that there may have been 64-bit issues on W7).

Obviously these drivers worked for others in the past, so what am I doing wrong?

Has anyone successfully installed the Delcom drivers without having a JP1/USB cable?

My thanks in advance.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A JP1 adapter makes the remote appear as a JP1.x remote to RMIR (and IR.exe, if you insist on using obsolete software). So you don't need the Delcom driver, and if you are selecting the interface type in IR.exe (or RMIR) then it is JP1.x, not JP1, that you need to use.
jonpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Delcom drivers Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
A JP1 adapter makes the remote appear as a JP1.x remote to RMIR (and IR.exe, if you insist on using obsolete software). So you don't need the Delcom driver, and if you are selecting the interface type in IR.exe (or RMIR) then it is JP1.x, not JP1, that you need to use.

I have a Prolific USB cable, an FTDI USB cable, a JP1 adapter and I "... don't insist on using obsolete software)".

You have to use 'obsolete software' when RMIR's Auto Detect reports "No remotes found" in every orientation, and provides nothing in the way of assistance to guide you. It may be obsolete but IR has an Interface menu which lets you force the selection of JP1.x, has a Check interface, reports the kind of error encountered on an upload/download, and has a Status.

Here's the prequel summary:

RMIR FTDI and Prolific both report:
- No remotes found

8.0x FTDI and Prolific both report a Check Interface result of:
- The remote interface check succeeded!

8.0x FTDI and Prolific both report an Interface/Driver Status of:
- The serial/parallel driver is functioning properly
- Delcom USB Error: Unable to find Delcom device driver

8.04 FTDI
- read failed 0
8.04 Prolific
- No data found in signature.

8.02 FTDI
- Failed to open JP1.x interface
8.02 Prolific
- No data found in signature.

If the adapter is supposed to emulate Delcom is it your conclusion that the adapter is no good?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't listed any hardware that would use the Delcom driver. The JP1 adapter that plugs into a JP1.x cable doesn't have anything to do with Delcom. It makes JP1 look like JP1.x as Mathdon said. So the JP1.x driver is the one that's used. There is absolutely no reason for you to even attempt to use Delcom drivers.

We have seen cases of JP1 EEPROM adapters from DIYGadget that were DOA. You may have a bad one.

RMIR can also force any interface type if you pick any option other than Auto.

If you want to get to the bottom of your FTDI and Prolific issues in RMIR, post your err files. I would also be useful to know exactly which remote, cable and JP1 adapter you are using (links to the vendors or the design you used if you built it yourself).

Mathdon did the last major update to IR 8 years ago, and binky did a minor one shortly after. So as one of the developers of IR and the principal developer of RMIR, if he says IR is obsolete, it's obsolete. He knows both inside and out. Of course if IR is the only solution to your problem, then you should use it by all means. But I think we can probably get RMIR working for you.
jonpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Delcom drivers Reply with quote

If I need another adapter, no worries, and below is the error map.

I've removed most of the repetitive 'Generating deviceImporter...' content to reduce file size.

RemoteMaster v2.06 build 5
Legacy merge set = true
System Properties:
java.version = 1.8.0_144
java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
os.name = Windows 7
os.arch = x86
java.home = C:\__Apps\Java
java.class.path = H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\RemoteMaster.jar
Adding to classpath: file:/H:/d-DAL/RemoteControls/RemoteMaster/RM2.065/
Generating deviceImporter for protocol Blank
Generating deviceImporter for protocol Acer Keyboard
DevParm is Device
DevParm is Sub Device
**** Warning: multiple protocols with PID 00 5E and variantName 2
Generating deviceImporter for protocol Aiwa Combo
DevParm is Sub Device
Generating deviceImporter for protocol Akai
DevParm is Device Code
: :
: :
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 28
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 2A
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 2B
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 2F
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 30
**** Warning: multiple protocols with PID 02 30 and variantName
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 32
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 3A
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 3E
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 47
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 4C
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 5A
Generating deviceImporter for protocol pid: 02 7C
Generating deviceImporter for protocol ImportOnly
DevParm is Device
DevParm is Sub Device
Generating deviceImporter for protocol null
libraryFolder=H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.8.0_144' from 'C:\__Apps\Java' running on 'Windows 7' (x86)
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp12serial' from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp12serial.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'jp12serial' successfully from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp12serial.dll'
JP12Serial version 0.22
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.8.0_144' from 'C:\__Apps\Java' running on 'Windows 7' (x86)
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'hidapi' from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\hidapi.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'hidapi' successfully from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\hidapi.dll'
CommHID version 1.0
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp1usb' from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp1usb.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'jp1usb' successfully from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp1usb.dll'
JP1USB version 0.031
JPS version 0.1
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp1parallel' from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp1parallel.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'jp1parallel' successfully from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\jp1parallel.dll'
JP1Parallel version 0.12
JP1Parallel InpOutDriver is not open
*** To use the parallel port interface, RMIR must be run once as adminstrator.
This enables it to install the InpOut driver, a once-only task needed for
the interface to access the port.
DecodeIR: Looking in 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065'.
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'DecodeIR' from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\DecodeIR.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'DecodeIR' successfully from 'H:\RemoteMaster\RM2.065\Windows-x86\DecodeIR.dll'
Starting normal download
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched. Trying to open remote.
Port Name = NULL
Failed to open
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try specifying the comm port. Look at the FTDI device in device manager to get that. Don’t bother with the Prolific cable.
jonpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Delcom drivers Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej,

Specifying the COM port worked, and loading was successful with the Prolifics as well as the FTDI on 2.065.

The last time I needed to use JP1 was with RM 2.01. 2.01 told me No Remote and updating to 2.065 told me No Remote too, so that's what sent me down the rabbit hole of backtracking through IR.

Your advice is much appreciated, I would have saved a lot of time had I reported my issue with RM immediately.

Here's the results of 'forensic' testing:

Revisions 2.065 and 2.03 load successfully

Rev 2.02a fails but makes an attempt

Rev 2.01 reports 'No remote'

Just for curiosity, here's the error log on 2.02a

Interface opened successfully
Base address = $0
Interface type = 2
Searching for RDF
Final signature sought = RSL6RSL0
Remote identified as: RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart
Number of bytes read = $800
Ending normal download
Data parsing started
Decoding settings
Decoding upgrades
DeviceUpgrade.importRawUpgrade
hexCode=5A 06 7A FE E5 00 DF DF BF 3F 6F FF 7F EF AF DF 3D 2F 95 15 E5 65 A5 27 1F CF 4D
newRemote=RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart
newDeviceTypeAliasName=TV
pid=00 5A
pCode=null
Checking protocol "NEC1" (00 5A)
Imported fixedData is 00 DF DF

Here's where RM gets stuck in a colorful 'downloading' loop. RM is still receptive to inputs, as it responds to Exit.

RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that did the trick.

Interesting about 2.02a, but there's really no point going back to troubleshoot a bug that got fixed in a later revision. Mathdon is constantly fixing little things like that since Remote Master supports about 100 different remote models and just as many protocols, several hardware interfaces, and several operating systems.
jonpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Delcom drivers Reply with quote

Definitely no reason to fix 2.02a, 2.03 did it already.

It is super-impressive that it is over 20 years since I programmed my first JP1 remote. There have been three JP1.x generations since then, and everything remains backwards compatibility to the first devices. If only Microsoft practiced progress according to the JPx community....

We are all beholden to the software whiz's who provide tools that even the dullest knife on the block can use.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: