JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon 3310ci

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Denon 3310ci Reply with quote

1. Device: Denon AVR-3310ci
2. Type of device: AVR
3. Year: 2010
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Xsight Color
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? yes
6. Still have original remote? yes
7. Checked the file section? yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes
9. Partially working setup code? no
10. Learning remote question? yes
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? n/a
12. If you have a OARUSB04G, URC-6440 (or similar) remote, have you tried simpleset.com? n/a

I have found a document here (found link on RC forums)

http://www.awe-europe.com/documents/Control%20Docs/Denon/Archive/AVR3310All.zip

that apparently has ALL the IR codes used by this unit. Seems easier to start from this than try to learn all the buttons on the original remote.

I did try to upload the code list here but it didn't take for some reason.

Difficulty: I have no idea how to convert the data in this document to something that I could use in RM to create an upgrade. Any gentle guidance?

thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the device code from lines like this:
SYSTEM ADDRESS(C1~C5) : 01000

Read the binary backwards and you get 00010 which is decimal value 2, so that's your device code.

To get the OBC, first you have to make a note of this line:
EXTENSION BIT(C12,C13) : 11

then you have to look at the individual entries, like this:
1 100000 POWER

The decimal number (1) is the command code within the group.
The binary is 100000
The function is POWER

To get the JP1 OBC, add the extension bits to the end of the binary.

So, the binary is 10000011 (ie, 100000 and 11)
Read it backwards to get 11000001
Convert it to decimal to get 193

So, bottom line, the POWER function is OBC 193, dev 2.

If you download any of the Denon amp/receiver files from the file section (like this) you'll find that they probably use the Denon Combo protocol and that the POWER function matches that.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I think the only xx10 unit that I saw was a 1910 so maybe I will use that to see if I can get most of the codes that way. (in Denon-land, up until about 2013 or so, the last two digits appear to indicate the model year of the unit, so I assume that a 1910 is just a "lesser" model but same year than 3310 so it probably uses the same codeset but fewer of the codes.)

This looks like a completely mind-bending exercise for someone who hasn't thought in binary in years, but it's also not a super high priority so hopefully I can pick away at it at some point.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob meant 193 for POWER (I fixed it). I spot checked a few codes from the 1910 file you found, and it's a match. So you can use that pretty much as-is.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7850

The 1910 file is an older text format for our JP1 excel tools back in the day. However, Remote Master reads it fine. You'll just have to open it from the File menu rather than double click like you would an rmdu file.

An alternate way of figuring out the OBCs using less binary is to use the No. column instead. It's just a decimal version of the binary in the data column. You still have to convert the extension bits and the system address, but there are only a few of those.

So using Rob's example, POWER is 10000 which is decimal 1 which is the same value as the No. column and already flipped backwards for you. The extension bits 11 (flipped is the same) are decimal 3. Since they're at the end of a 6 bit binary number, we multiply by 64 (6th power of 2), resulting in 192. Now add your 1 for POWER for an OBC of 193.

There are only 3 different combos of the extension bits used - 11, 01 and 10.

- 11 (same backwards) is decimal 3 X 64 = 192 as we got before
- 01 becomes 10 which is 2 X 64 = 128
- 10 becomes 01 which is 1 X 64 = 64

So now, just take the numbers above and add to each No. in the corresponding table.

In the Extension 11 table, No. 35 DVD would be 192 + 35 = 227 which matches the 1910 upgrade.

In Extension 01 table, No. 29 STEREO is 128 + 29 = 157, also in the 1910 upgrade. It's also Device 12 instead of device 2 because the SYSTEM ADDRESS for that table is 00110, flipped 01100 which is 12.

All the SYSTEM ADDRESS are (reading the bits backwards):

- 01000 = 2
- 00110 = 12
- 00100 = 4

So quick recap using everything we've already calculated:

DEVICE = SYSTEM ADDRESS = 2 (01000), 12 (00110), 4 (00100)
EXTENSION = 192 (11), 128 (01), 64 (10)
OBC = No. + EXTENSION

Random example from SYSTEM 01000, EXTENSION 10, No. 29 ZONE2 ON/OFF

DEVICE = 2
OBC = 29 + 64 = 93

Matches the 1910 file. Hope you can follow most of that (except the multiply by 64 part).
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I got it!

I turned the 1910 codes into a spreadsheet by importing into RM and then copying and pasting into an Excel sheet. then I sorted the data by Device and then OBC.

Looking at the first page of the PDF I start with Power at 2.193 and keep going down, in the spreadsheet there is a gap between FL LEVEL UP and CD on the PDF I see that it is PHONO which is definitely a code I want to use (that was part of the appeal to me of finding a 3310, back when it was only a couple years old) so I insert that at 2.195

Then for each new block of commands if I can't figure it out from the pattern or the 1910 spreadsheet I go through the process you describe in your post above to figure out what the device and OBC should be

Am I on the right track here?

Edit: I knocked this spreadsheet together:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25255

Comments as always appreciated!

however, that only takes care of the first 6 pages of the document. There appear to be more codes in the following pages not reflected in the ones in this document, but again, I haven't a clue how to interpret them. Some of them I may want to include in my eventual upgrade(s) for this device e.g. from the codes I've already documented there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the "NET/USB" input - or should I just start learning the remainder of the codes from the original remote?

Last edited by n8nagel on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close, but you're off a bit off track. There is no code in the PDF for 2.195. That would correspond to No. 4 in the 1st table, which is indeed blank.

Check out my spreadsheet below.

I found very few differences. Looks like the 1910 is just missing a few Zone 2 commands and all the Zone 3 commands (presumably your model has 3 zones and the 1910 only has 2), shown in green. I also found a few errors and noted the corrected OBCs, shown in red.

In any case, except for Zone 3, the 1910 file already has all the commands you would ever use.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25254
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh! Looks like we were both working on this at the same time, as I had some time to kill while babysitting a work related file download. I'll check this out later...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were quick to download that file. I just fixed a mistake I made, so please download again.

I see that you posted your xls file in the spreadsheets section. When you're finished, please merge yours and mine and re-upload there but include the reference pdf in the same zip file with the spreadsheet and a link to this thread so others can follow in the future.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm avoiding work.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You were quick to download that file. I just fixed a mistake I made, so please download again.

I see that you posted your xls file in the spreadsheets section. When you're finished, please merge yours and mine and re-upload there but include the reference pdf in the same zip file with the spreadsheet and a link to this thread so others can follow in the future.

I tried to upload the original PDF to the code lists section when I found it originally but for some reason it's getting kicked. too big maybe? And yes I labeled that with a version less than 1 so hopefully people will realize that that's a work in progress.

mdavej wrote:
I'm avoiding work.

I don't blame you... I was avoiding cleaning out my electrolytic tank (I'm restoring some old cast iron) and going to get a haircut, so there are actually things that I like less than work Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
This looks like a completely mind-bending exercise for someone who hasn't thought in binary in years

That's why they invented spreadsheets...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25256

The data tab shows you how I did it, the codes tab contains the codes that you need.

Here's the same codeset in an RMDU file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25257
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it helps anyone:

I have been carefully collecting all(?) commands for Denon AVR-4311, available as https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bengtmartensson/GirrLib/master/Girr/Denon/denon_avr4311.girr. It is in Girr format and can be imported in IrScrutinizer. (Open IrScrutinizer, select Import -> Girr, paste the URL in the File/URL field, press Load File/URL. No need to download.) It can then be exported in different formats, including RemoteMaster (IncludeOnly).
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may very well help; it is only one year off. I will be sure to check that out, thank you!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a new tab called "Master" to my spreadsheet which includes all the codes from Barf's file.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I had to take a break from this to work on some other stuff... but it's good that I'm this far, so far I still need to do the 3310ci and test the upgrade for the Apple TV... and get another Xsight or Nevo... because the Harmony that this was supposed to be an alternate to just crapped the bed... at least I have all the other components programmed in and at least given a cursory test.

Will definitely post when I get this working/reasonably tested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: