JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6440 on Linux and code programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a URC-6440 and am running Fedora30. I can confirm your results: SImilar error messages, indicating severe internal problems in the file system to be mounted. From memory I recall that a few years earlier, with an earlier Fedora, it worked.

Quote:
They can be forced to mount, by a direct command in a terminal, but ...

Using what command?

If you really want to go into it, try the Linux kernel mailing list.

Otherwise, I'd suggest:

5. Get a cheap, possibly used, Windows10 PC/laptop, and connect it to your network. Connect the remote and export the slice. Mount it on your work Linux, for example with mount -t cifs ...

Let us know how this turns out.
davecs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MX-Linux 18 and 19 use the same kernel, but different versions of UDEV. If anyone is an expert on udev rules, they would probably know how to do it.

Not going to get another laptop though. I've tested the bootable drive idea, making one by using persistence with MX18.3 — it's like a portable computer without the computer! But my ideal aim is to get it to work in an up-to-date Linux install.

Forced to mount:

mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/OFA\ REMOTE
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Connecting to USB remotes in LINUX (URC-9440 / OARUSB04G) Reply with quote

I've written a HOW-TO on the PCLinuxOS forum, showing you to navigate around the fact that these two remotes no longer automount in many versions of Linux.

As well as PCLOS, I've also been using MX-Linux. I've now found a way of getting them mounted and working with RemoteMaster which works in both these distros.

If you are using Linux with one of these remotes, this may work for you. So here's the link.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,150204.0.html

(The original post has been altered to reflect that I found a method that works on both distros.)
davecs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a better way of going about this! Much simplified. It's at the same link, 3rd down (reply #2)

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,150204.msg1282879.html#msg1282879

There is a slight error with this technique in MX-Linux 19ß2.1 in that you are asked for the root password to unmount. I don't know if that it a change in the security settings, or a bug that needs squashing.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[This is (at least) the third thread you open on this subject. Please help making the forum usable by using one thread per issue. Cool ]

In a previous thread you described some more or less sinister error messages (dmesg) that you get when connecting the remote with USB (and I get them too). Have you addressed these problems?

Instead the "solution" you present is to let the operating system (udev) automatically mount the file system, regardless of the error messages. Mounting a file system is a different thing from "fixing" it, and I get pretty cold feet by just ignoring the errors.

(It reminds me about the Big Bang Theory episode when Penny is describing the "pesky" warning lamp in her auto; it has been on for weeks/months and she has no idea what it means, and has decided to ignore it. To Sheldon's dismay... Wink )
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
[This is (at least) the third thread you open on this subject. Please help making the forum usable by using one thread per issue. Cool ]

I just merged them.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

Instead the "solution" you present is to let the operating system (udev) automatically mount the file system, regardless of the error messages. Mounting a file system is a different thing from "fixing" it, and I get pretty cold feet by just ignoring the errors.

To be honest, I couldn't give a stuff about the error messages if the remote automounted on all Linux systems. But on my computer, it mounts on MX18.3 but not on the forthcoming MX19. It used to mount on PCLinuxOS but now it does not. And you said that it no longer mounts on Fedora. So it was worth looking at both successful and failed mounts, and checking for differences.

After getting no help with requests to a number of sites, I managed to get it to automount using bits and pieces of knowledge picked up from various online searches, and a little guesswork. Clearly, the matter is of little interest outside of a handful of Linux users who also use theses remotes.

Anyway, I did have to make changes to the system to get them to mount automatically so that I can use them. And the other side to it was that I also had to change a setting in RMIR itself as it no longer autodetected the plugged-in remote, this was the first time I'd ever had to do it manually, and that took me a while to work out.

I'd like to smooth off one or two rough edges. I'd particularly like to find a way to get the remotes mounted to the current user, not a named one. Anyway, the link to the PCLOS site is adequate for now. If I can sort out the remaining questions in my mind, I'd like to do either a comprehensive document or a sticky, and all the old stuff can be deleted.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, we don't need to keep deleting old posts on this forum, stuff evolves and new discoveries are made all the time.

Would you be willing to write a wiki article on your discoveries when you're finished? Or better yet, start an article now and change it as you make improvements? If you are, I'll create an account for you.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Would you be willing to write a wiki article on your discoveries when you're finished? Or better yet, start an article now and change it as you make improvements? If you are, I'll create an account for you.

Of course. I could make a distro-agnostic version of the advice from the pclos site.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a wiki account for you, and you should receive an email to set a new password.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I have created a wiki account for you, and you should receive an email to set a new password.

OK!

Er... how do I start a new page?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started a page for you, so you can just edit it to bring it up to date with your findings, and correct any copy/edit mistakes I may have made.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Using_USB_Remotes_with_Linux

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. I've changed the user name for a variable in the last script, that way, the user only has to know their user name, not their group name or their user and group numbers.

Hope it looks clear to you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Dave, thanks for updating it. I have made some minor copyediting changes, mainly removing the "first person" tense.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me suggest using a less generic title (presently "Using JP1 with Linux"). It should probably mention URC6440/OARxxx.

After all, it is all about helping other users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: