JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to clone European Xsight Touch to American one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbrux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: How to clone European Xsight Touch to American one? Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of a European Xsight Touch, which has, however, been dropped many times. Since reading on this site has convinced me that nothing newer is better (or even comparable) I ordered one of the few still available (from the US), to use in our spare room and to have a backup in case the original should fail. I naively assumed that I could simply use RMIR to download the original configuration from my European URC-8603 and then upload it to the US one. However, RMIR warns me that the US one has a different ID, and that I could damage it by uploading my European configuration. Presumably I can create a new configuration by downloading the (factory) configuration of the "new" US RC and then adding the rmdu files saved from the "old" European unit, but I would still have to set up all of the activities manually. Is there a better/easier way?
I put "New" and "old" in quotes because the "new" unit appears to have older firmware. Here is what the "About screen of the "old" (European) unit says:
Code:
Firmware: 1.3.32
Bootloader: 1.0.1
IR Blaster: 3121BX6
IR Library: 1.1.1

and here is what the "new" (US) unit says:
Code:
Firmware: 1.3.10
Bootloader: 1.0.2
IR Blaster: 3201AX7
IR Library: 1.2.11

Any advice on how to proceed would be welcome!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham will correct me if I’m wrong, but you should be fine upgrading the firmware and downloading your file. File structure is the same for all, so warning can be ignored.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you attempt a download to RMIR on your US remote, you should get a message offering to upgrade the firmware. (If you don't get this message then your RMIR version is out of date and you need to download the latest version.) Do the upgrade. It should then show firmware version 1.3.32, like the European one (or possibly 1.3.31, but the difference is immaterial).

After a firmware update, you need to set the region. Make sure you choose Europe. To change the region without a firmware update, do a factory reset.

Once upgraded and set to Europe, you can do as mdavej says. Ignore the warning message and upload your setup anyway. All should be well, and if you then download and save the setup you will get a .rmir file that no longer gives that warning on upload.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little nervous about this. The "new" (US) remote with the older firmware has a setting named "Tilt On/Off", which I don't find on my European remote with the newer software. The US remote "wakes up" when I pick it up, a behaviour which I recall the European remote having when I first got it. If I turn off "Tilt On/Off" on the US remote, this behaviour is deactivated. I am not sure whether I lost this feature on the European remote by dropping it one too many times, or as a result of updating the firmware, but I would like to keep it on the "new" remote. Will I lose it by updating the firmware? Is there a way to back up the firmware first, in case of disaster?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, RMIR won't even work right unless you're on the latest firmware. So you don't really have much choice. I don't remember if my Touches have the tilt setting or not. I can check in a couple of weeks when I'm back in the US if someone else doesn't chime in before then.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have performed the firmware update (using RMIR v2.06 build 5) and now have:
Code:
Firmware: 1.3.32
Bootloader: 1.0.2
IR blaster: 3201AX7
IR Library: 1.2.11

I was not prompted to select a region, nor did I see any way to do so in the remote's UI, so I performed a "factory reset", as suggested in Graham's post. These threads helped me to do it right:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4057
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101075
After all of this, the setting "Tilt On/Off" is still available, and functions as before.
I have uploaded my XSight Touch configuration to the ARRX18G and now have a working clone of my old remote. Many thanks to all of you for your support!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the region on the remote itself after a 981 reset. Glad to hear it worked out fine. I was pretty sure it would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: