JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can USB-remotes be programmed like JP1's can?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subhuti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Can USB-remotes be programmed like JP1's can? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am a complete novice when it comes to universal remote controls.

I would like to buy a universal remote control to control two devices - my LG TV model 32LS570T and a PVR called Clint DC1. Both of the original remotes have a couple of buttons which have become almost impossible to activate. (And of course, it's usually the more frequently used buttons which wear out first.)

Reading the "RemoteChart" at http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart, I see that several universal remote controls come with USB connectors.

Does this mean one can do the same low-level programming of the remote using a computer, as with the ones which have the JP1-connector I have heard mentioned so often?

If so, would it still be the application known as "RemoteMaster" or "RMIR" I would use to program such a USB-equipped remote?

I am looking at the URC-7140 Essence 4 or the URC-6430 Simple 3, as two USB-remotes at a price I could afford.

They are pretty low cost. About $25, it seems when I did an intial search? Last time I looked into buying a universal remote, the price was something like $200!

I prefer the URC-7140 Essence 4, as it seems to have 4 extra buttons, which would be needed if I had to map all the needed functions of my PVR unto it.

I guess I just would like to know whether what I am hoping to do is possible?

If the the universal remotes I mentioned above can't be programmed, can anyone tell me which of the currently available remotes which can?

Thank you.

Regards,

Isak

PS: I am sorry if these questions are already answered somewhere. I have tried reading some of the files on http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page but I really find it a bit overwhelming to take it all in, and also my eyes become pretty strained when I try to read a lot of text. I am sorry if this sounds arrogant.

I really would be grateful for a little help, or if someone can point me in the direction I should look for the answers.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, JP1-USB remotes can be programmed exactly like any other JP1 remote, except that you use the USB cable in place of a traditional JP1 cable. And yes, you use RM and RMIR to program them, just like with other JP1 remotes.

And you can get a USB remote for even cheaper than that, you can pick up a Nevo C2 starting at $15 shipped on ebay, if you can wait for it to arrive from China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112540756481
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the 7140 has a 6 pin interface,so you'll need an interface cable for it.
subhuti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob and 3FG!

Rob, thank you so much for your answer, and for the link! That was really nice of you. I am not sure I would dare buy a used remote, though, because I would be afraid that the buttons were worn, and would stop working soon.

Do you know, is the URC-6430 a JP1-USB remote, as you call it? I mean, is it fully programmable? Is it one you could recommend, or is there something wrong with it?

Yes, 3FG, you're right. I can see on the chart that I made a mistake - only the one of the remotes I mentioned above has a USB connector. Thank you. I wonder why not all of their remotes have USB now?

Thanks.

Isak
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isak, ebay has been flooded with cheap Nevo C2 remotes for a while. When these remotes first came out they were very expensive but they never took off. They really are quite incredible remotes.

The units on ebay are almost certainly not used, they are all old stock. The sellers list them as used because the rubberized surface that UEI used on them has deteriorated over time and needs to be removed, which is fairly easy to do. I doubt that you will have any problems with the buttons themselves. But if you do get one, just be careful with the battery door as the little latch has been known to break off.

Besides, for $15 shipped, what exactly do you have to lose?
subhuti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it very much, since I am on such unknown territory that don't know how to judge what are the things to do and to avoid.

Just to complete my possibly moronic questions, can I just ask if I have understood it correctly what a universal remote can do?

What I would like to be able to do, is to buy a universal remote control, and to program all the different buttons on it to work the same way my old remote for my TV worked, and my remote for my PVR worked. Is this possible?

For example, on this site, when I searched for the name and model of my PVR, called Clint DC1, I found this file http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=10402 called "Clint_C1_DVB-C_receiver 8810.txt" which contains a lot of text and numbers.

Can I really take the numbers in such a file, and feed them into the remote control using the program RemoteMaster, and decide which buttons from the PVR-remote I would like to have on which buttons on the universal-remote, and then finally have the remote control operate my PVR as my original remote did?

Or is this beyond what is possible?

The reason I would like to know the underlying operating codes/numbers for the buttons, is so that I can save them in a file, and know which codes to enter into a future universal remote, even if I have to get a new remote in 5 years.

I'd feel better knowing the exact codes, instead of relying on there having to be some proprietary update-file for a particular remote control I happen to buy. Especially in the case of my PVR, which not many people have.

Also, in the case of some of the more proprietary functions of my TV andd my PVR, I would like to be able to choose which functions go to which buttons, and not have it be decided by the people who made the remote control.

Sorry to be so verbose with these questions. I would just like to know if I have understood things correctly, and am not just imagining being able to do things with a universal remote which I really can't.

Thank you so much again.

Cheers,

Isak
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how you have a curious mind, I think you need to visit our wiki site and do some reading, especially the JP1 How Easy Is It doc.

But yes, you can save the text file and open it using RM and it will display the contents. The fact that it's a text file rather than an RMDU file tells me that it was originally created using KM (Keymap Master) which was an Excel program that pre-dated the Java RM (Remote Master) program.

Quick high level summary, with a JP1 learning remote, such as the Nevo C2, you have the ability to capture the signals from all of your original remotes, so even if we don't have a file for that unusual Chinese DVD player or STB that you might have, you can learn the signals and use the captured codes to create your own upgrade file. Or, if you do find an upgrade file that mostly works but is missing 1 or 2 buttons, you can capture them and add the codes to the file.

Bottom line, the whole point of JP1 is to make a universal remote work every button for every device in your system, and to help you create macros that make working the system seamless. So yeah, you're in the right place!
subhuti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Bottom line, the whole point of JP1 is to make a universal remote work every button for every device in your system, and to help you create macros that make working the system seamless. So yeah, you're in the right place!

OK. Thank you Rob.

I think you're right, I expect I probably do need to try to understand a bit about the the technical stuff. I just think have a bit of trouble in sorting between what information I need to know for my purposes, and what information has to do with something else. But I'll try my best.

Thank you for your gracious help.

Isak
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a delicate balance for us when we put out information because there's level one, which is just give enough info to get the job done, then there's level two, for those with curious minds or who are technically gifted, where we say how and why things work.

As there is so much information out there, some folks are bewildered by it and think JP1 is too complicated for them, when in fact, if all you want to do is program your remote, it's actually very easy.
subhuti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
As there is so much information out there, some folks are bewildered by it and think JP1 is too complicated for them, when in fact, if all you want to do is program your remote, it's actually very easy.

Thank you for your help. I decided to buy a URC-6430, because I couldn't wait over a month to get the Nevo C2 from China.

It works almost out of the box. I had to use simpleset.com to add my PVR, and I had to teach it one signal from the old PVR remote, and two signals from my LG TV which weren't mapped (RW and FF). But all the other buttons were properly matched.

It works exactly as I wished, and this is wonderful in itself!

But I still would like to see the raw data. So I hooked the remote to my PC via the USB-cable, and ran RemoteMaster.jar. It recognizes my remote, and it can download from it.

But I cannot see the codes for all the various buttons. I can only see the information about the three buttons I taught it the codes for, when I click the "Learned Signals"-tab

All the other tabs don't show any information about all the keys.

On the initial screen of RemoteMaster after I prssed the "Download" button, there is a text saying

"Devices on this remote that are set up up with simpleset.com all have a corresponding device upgrade. This enables one to see the functions of the device and to customise them as desired. Devices set up through the remote itself or with RMIR do not initally have such an upgrade. If you have loaded a .bin file rather than a .rmir file, you may create any missing upgrades by pressing the "Create missing upgrades" button. If this button is present but disabled (grayed out), it means that there are no missing upgrades."

I don't exactly know what this means, but it sounds like I need this "upgrades"? My "Create missing upgrades"-button is not greyed out, but when I press it, I don't see anything happening, and no new files seem to appear anywhere, and the button becomes greyed out.

I was looking forward to seeing the inner codes the remote is using.

Also in the event that the site simpleset.com disappears, or All-for-one goes backrupt, or who knows what, it would be nice to know that one would always be able to set the correct codes again into this or any other universal remote in the future, without having to rely on the manufacturer of the remote having all devices'in their database.

Thank you.

Isak
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a perfect example where we really need to see your RMIR file in order to see what you're seeing, so please load a copy of it into the Diagnosis Area folder and then post a link to it here.

But high level, when you learn buttons, you can see the code info posted for each button, as you have found.

All the other buttons are programmed either using built in setup codes or setup codes that were created as the result of device upgrades. Device upgrades appear in the Devices tab. If you open one of the upgrades, an RM window will pop-up where you will see what Protocol Executor it uses and what device codes were supplied, then on the Functions tab you will see what codes were used for each function, then on the Buttons tab you will see which buttons those functions were assigned to.

Keep in mind that our goal here is to always use upgrades rather than learned signals. We primarily use learning as a way to capture the codes so we can enter them into an upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: