JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drhendrix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: OARUSB04G Question Reply with quote

Hello,
Is it possible to assign simple macros directly to the WatchTV and WatchMovie "activity" buttons using RMIR? I'm considering getting an OARUSB04G to control a kodi/NUC on an LG plasma.

I read in a post somewhere that OARUSB04G macros must be setup on number keys, but I'm not sure if that applies to programming with RMIR.

Thanks for any info.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macros can go on any key, double pressed key, long pressed key, shifted key or double shifted key. You can also do macros of practically unlimited length and make them call other macros.

You can put simple macros on the Watch buttons, but you'll just have to make sure you set up the appropriate device selection as that's still going to execute before your macro runs. But it's better to use them as activities and put your macros elsewhere since you would be vastly under-utilizing what those buttons can do. The extender increases the number of activities from 2 to 6 and the number of devices from 4 to 12. Here's more details about that.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16260
drhendrix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mdavej,

I don't have an OARUSB04G yet, but I used RMIR to set one up with LG TV and Windows MCE upgrades from the files section. I looked at the extender which seems like overkill for my simple needs.

All I want to do is have the remote switch to MCE device control and switch the TV to the HDMI2 input, or, switch the TV back to HDMI1. I don't need to control the TV functions with the OARUSB04G. I do have VPT set for the LGTV.

The LGTV device upgarde has discrete functions for the HDMI inputs, so I assigned two of those to phantom buttons 51 and 52, did keymoves for them to the TV device type, and used those in the two macros.

1 WatchTV TV;button51
2 WatchMovie STB;button52

The devices are assigned as:

1 SAT 1272 01 2A 2 MCE Windows MCE
2 TV 1555 00 5A NEC1 LG Plasma TV 50

and the device buttons are setup as:

1 TV TV 1555 TV LG Plasma TV 50 PQ6
2 STB STB 1272 TV Windows MCE

Of course the STB is the windows mce button.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work fine. But start with a download from the remote, then add your changes to that file. Also be aware that Watch TV and the other one are going to do their Watch TV thing first, THEN execute your macro steps. So make sure you set up all the associated activity parameters appropriately (key group assignments, punch thru, power commands, etc.)
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see the references to 'ComboCancel' in the OARUSB04G Extender Manual e.g.

"Because of the availability of device punchthrough, it may be desired to use the six combo buttons for other purposes than activity selection. This is where ComboCancel comes in. By including this as the first button in a macro sequence on a combo button, the activity selection of that button is cancelled and the remaining buttons in the macro sequence will then be performed as if the activity selection had not taken place. Note that ComboCancel does not have a corresponding save operation. A ComboCancel returns the mode to that of the last selected device button, whether that was selected by a physical button press or by the action of a device button included in a macro sequence. By following ComboCancel with DCSave, that device mode can then be saved for restoration later in the macro sequence."
yaworski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if these macros will work without the extender.

Few reasons why you SHOULD install the extender:
- The installation of the extended in this remote is really simple: in the extender package there's a settings.bin file you need to upload to the remote and that's it. You don't need to do anything else. It is fully reversible, you just need to upload a standard settings.bin without the extender.
- It doesn't take any additional space for user settings. Graham did an awesome job fitting the extender code in the standard program space.
- It may seem to be an overkill, but you don't really need to use all the features. Just use whatever you really need to.
- The macros are much more capable with extender installed. For example you get special entries you can use in macros like DCSave and DCRestore, which allow you to push and pop Device/Combo states.

For example, in your case, you could use following macro with the extender (given that Phantom1 switches to TV input and Phantom2 switches to HDMI input):
Watch TV:
TV;Phantom1;DCRestore (select TV device, send Phantom1, restore Watch TV combo)
Watch Movie:
TV;Phantom2;DCRestore (select TV device, send Phantom2, restore Watch Movie combo)

Then for Watch Movie activity, assign STB to button groups to control your STB in Watch Movie mode.

I have similar setup, but instead of using Combos (or Activities) I just have macros on device buttons:
on TV button:
Phantom1 (just send Phantom1 which sets TV input)
on PVR button (I have URC-6440 which has different device button labels):
TV;Phantom2;DCRestore (select TV, switch to HDMI1, restore PVR device)
drhendrix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the ideas. I'm going to read the extender manual some more and try to pin down the best approach .
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaworski, great post! It seems to me that the Extender removes all the normal restrictions, so that any button can be used to do (almost) anything, while the Manual so clearly describes things.

Starting on page 10, I reckon that the whole of section 4.5 "Special buttons for macro control" is especially worth reading carefully, because it fully explains exactly what goes on.

- and because one of the few potential remaining snags is set out: "There is no corresponding way of cancelling the initial device change when a macro is placed on a device button", together with a work round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: