JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEC NP310 projector (need Lamp Hours Reset)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amurderofcrows

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: NEC NP310 projector (need Lamp Hours Reset) Reply with quote

1. Device: NEC NP310
2. Type of device: Projector
3. Year:
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Comcast DVR 1067Bx3
5. Do you have a JP1 cable?: No
6. Still have original remote?: No
7. Checked the file section?: Yes, unable to make sense of it
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)?: Yes, couldn't find model
9. Partially working setup code?: Not for JP1, though AnyMote (phone) has some controls
10. Learning remote question?: n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool?: yes, can't find anything for projectors
12. If you have a OARUSB04G, URC-6440 (or similar) remote, have you tried simpleset.com?: n/a

Some background: We have an older NEC np310 Projector and the lamp hours need to be reset on it. This seems to require a pair of buttons being held down for a minimum of 10 seconds on the original remote in order to function, but the original remote is long gone.

We have about 6 days to make this function.

AnyMote on my phone does control the device, but it seems that holding the buttons down give a repeated pressing rather than a continuous one for whatever reason.

I have a comcast remote that appears to work okay, and a Harmony 890 that is missing its battery. I know i can buy a real remote or a battery for the harmony, but i'm afraid neither will get here in time for the event.

any help at all would be highly appreciated.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual for the NPx10 sseries say:
6. Finally, select the menu → [RESET] → [CLEAR LAMP HOURS] to reset the lamp usage hours.

NOTE: When you continue to use the projector for another 100 hours after the lamp has reached the end of its life, the projector
cannot turn on and the menu is not displayed.
If this happens, press the HELP button on the remote control for 10 seconds to reset the lamp clock back to zero.
When the lamp time clock is reset to zero, the LAMP indicator goes out.

If the lamp is still working, have you tried using he method shown in the menu? Do you have an Android phone with an IR output? We can probably setup IRPlus to send the Help IR signal with 10 seconds of repeats. Help is likely NEC1 24.233 OBC 78
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following website confirms what 3FG posted above:
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2016/09/13/replace-nec-np310-projector-lamp/
amurderofcrows

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That only works if the lamp works. currently, the lamp hours are over what is expected, even though the lamp itself is new, so i have to reset using the remote as the lamp won't light up.

Reading around, there is no way to do this on the unit itself, otherwise believe me, i wouldn't be here now looking at making a comcast remote function.

It seems that i need to have the Power Off and Exit buttons, or perhaps the Power Off and Help buttons, held down at the same time in order to make this happen.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides adding the Help code 3FG posted and holding that for 10 sec, could you do the reset sequence through the menus blind (just press the right sequence even though you can't see what's happening)?

Problem is the combo of Off and Exit or Help won't work on any universal and is probably just a different code that I haven't seen posted anywhere. You'd have to get lucky enough for a JP1 user with this projector (or similar NEC model) to learn and post that combo.

Having said that, my guess is the new lamp is bad or there is some other electrical issue. Why would they design it so it's impossible to use a new lamp when the original goes out?
amurderofcrows

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the lamp is fine.

I've read that this is a thing for several projectors...you're supposed to reset the lamp hours every time you replace it to prevent the lamp from exploding. If the hours go too far, the lamp won't even turn on, for fear that people might try to reuse the same lamp repeatedly until it explodes or something.

so, i'm hoping for some other solution, preferably from here. I've ordered the right remote off ebay yesterday but there is no guarantee it will make it here in time.

EDIT:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/110055/Nec-Np-610.html?page=89

Quote:
Clearing Lamp Hour Meter [CLEAR LAMP HOURS]
Resets the lamp clock back to zero. Selecting this option displays submenu for a confirmation. Select [YES] and press
the ENTER button.

NOTE: Elapsed time of the lamp use will not be affected even when [RESET] is done from the menu.

NOTE: The projector will turn off and go into standby mode when you continue to use the projector for another 100 hours after the
lamp has reached the end of its life. In this condition you cannot clear the lamp hour meter on the menu. If this happens, press the
HELP button on the remote control for 10 seconds to reset the lamp clock back to zero. Do this only after replacing the lamp
amurderofcrows

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, still no go.

I ordered an official remote but it won't be here in time for the event.

So, JP1 gurus....how do i get that help button on to a JP1 or android device?

mahalo!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some background to how these things work. When you press a remote button it sends an IR signal, which comprises an IR protocol which contains a device code and a button code, where each button has the same device code but different button codes, and when you press 2 buttons together it almost certainly sends yet another button code.

So, to use JP1 you would first need to know the protocol and device code(s) along with the button codes for each of the known buttons. If you had the original remote, you could capture the information using a JP1 learning remote.

To do this without an original remote, you would need to get the IR info from somewhere else. If you can track down any info on the IR signals we can probably figure out the JP1 info from that.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 3FG’s code not work?
amurderofcrows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Robman

yes, that makes a lot of sense, and is kind of what i figured. What i haven't been able to do is figure out how to get that code without the remote.

@mdavej

So, i've tried on my android device and on my old harmony 890. neither one was able to clear the issue with the lamp. I admit that the lamp itself may be bad, but i'm going on the hope that it is good and it is just this lamp hour thing that's causing the problems i'm having.

That said, i don't know how to translate 3FG's code into the comcast remote i'm using for this.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up at http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup/ for NEC1 and DEV1=24 DEV2=233 and it doesn't show as a built-in setup code for your Comcast 1067Bx3 remote.

I would think the Logitech Harmony 890 should be able to send the signal too.

Maybe you should try the IRPlus app as suggested by 3FG. Maybe it's compatible with your AnyMote software and can drive the same IR hardware.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amurderofcrows wrote:
@mdavej

So, i've tried on my android device and on my old harmony 890. neither one was able to clear the issue with the lamp. I admit that the lamp itself may be bad, but i'm going on the hope that it is good and it is just this lamp hour thing that's causing the problems i'm having.

That said, i don't know how to translate 3FG's code into the comcast remote i'm using for this.

What did you do exactly on your Android and Harmony? Were you able to add the HELP button (ie, "Help is likely NEC1 24.233 OBC 78") and if so, how? Most folks outside of the JP1 world would not know how to do that.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amurderofcrows wrote:
I've ordered the right remote off ebay yesterday but there is no guarantee it will make it here in time.

Did the ebay remote arrive and did it solve the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: