JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you use Yamaha multi-zone remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vicky, while I can't promise that we can come up with something that will work for the DH, if you want help squeezing all the Yamaha controls into your JP1 remote, I'd be happy to help. And my thinking was along the same lines as Bill, that is using multiplexors to switch between different upgrades for each mode. Furthermore, there is a trick that I used to use when I programmed the URC-6131 for selling on ebay and that is to create an actual multiplexor device upgrade, with buttons assigned.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hey Vicky, while I can't promise that we can come up with something that will work for the DH, if you want help squeezing all the Yamaha controls into your JP1 remote, I'd be happy to help. And my thinking was along the same lines as Bill, that is using multiplexors to switch between different upgrades for each mode.

Even squeezing the main zone in, on this thing is going to be a challenge.

The Yamaha protocol alone is 111 bytes.

I'm looking at removing control the XM Roadie, and the OTA box to free up enough space to get the receiver in. I can live without them, but the receiver needs to be there for everything.

The biggest problem is to get basic control of the AVR you need so many buttons, and the old 8810 remote had those limited keymaps where you have to create keymoves. Yeah this is going to be very, very tricky. There isn't any input toggle, they all seem to be descretes, 14 of them, more if you look at the data sheet. Oh yeah lets not forget AM/FM.

The big question is do I need to run a seperate zone to turn the rear speakers on/off or can I do that with one of the zillions of buttons that control sound modes. If I need 2 zones on the TV viewing remote this will be too much to ask of this ancient remote.

Quote:

Furthermore, there is a trick that I used to use when I programmed the URC-6131 for selling on ebay and that is to create an actual multiplexor device upgrade, with buttons assigned.

I am not sure I follow...

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I doubt that you really need all of the discrete. On my configurations I mapped only those that I was actually using and that saves a lot.

Same goes with the cinema modes, I didn't map those that I didn't use.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
The Robman wrote:
Furthermore, there is a trick that I used to use when I programmed the URC-6131 for selling on ebay and that is to create an actual multiplexor device upgrade, with buttons assigned.

I am not sure I follow...

Normally when we do device multiplexors, we create a "helper" device upgrade with no buttons in it, then program keymoves to trigger the multiplexor. When I did the fancy programming for the URC-6131 so that it supported up to 10 ReplayTVs, 10 Tivos, multiple DirecTVs, etc I actually programmed buttons into that "helper" device multiplexor upgrade. From memory, it worked something like this:

From a normal mode, you would press PIP which would trigger multiplexor #1 and would switch you to (let's say CBL/2000) which in turn would be another multiplexor where each numeric button is programmed. Button 1 might switch you to CBL/2001 for a ReplayTV in mode 1. Button 2 might switch you to CBL/2002 for a ReplayTV in mode 2, etc.

The SWAP button might multiplex you to CBL/2020 which is also a multiplexor where button 1 would switch you to CBL/2021 which is for a Tivo in mode 1, etc.

Sure, it sounds complicated, and from a programming point of view it is, but from a user point of view, it was fairly easy to use. Granted, it's the kind of thing that your grandchildren would have no problem with but would fry the DH's brain, but what can you do? Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Normally when we do device multiplexors, we create a "helper" device upgrade with no buttons in it, then program keymoves to trigger the multiplexor. When I did the fancy programming for the URC-6131 so that it supported up to 10 ReplayTVs, 10 Tivos, multiple DirecTVs, etc I actually programmed buttons into that "helper" device multiplexor upgrade. From memory, it worked something like this:

From a normal mode, you would press PIP which would trigger multiplexor #1 and would switch you to (let's say CBL/2000) which in turn would be another multiplexor where each numeric button is programmed. Button 1 might switch you to CBL/2001 for a ReplayTV in mode 1. Button 2 might switch you to CBL/2002 for a ReplayTV in mode 2, etc.

The SWAP button might multiplex you to CBL/2020 which is also a multiplexor where button 1 would switch you to CBL/2021 which is for a Tivo in mode 1, etc.

Sure, it sounds complicated, and from a programming point of view it is, but from a user point of view, it was fairly easy to use. Granted, it's the kind of thing that your grandchildren would have no problem with but would fry the DH's brain, but what can you do? Smile

What an elegant solution! I've never come across a multiplexer with buttons assigned in this way.

Too cool, played with this a little, now back to study the oem remote and try to figure out exactly why they need so many keys!!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just searched for the original IR file that I used for this, and found it on an external hard drive. Here it is...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14624

The Special Protocols tab (in IR.exe) shows the 3 triggers on
PIP (ReplayTV) = VCR/1999
SWAP (Tivo) = VCR/1998
MOVE (Sony Tivo, etc) = VCR/1997

VCR/2000 thru VCR/2009 are for ReplayTV with 10 different unit codes.
VCR/2020 thru VCR/2029 are for Tivo with 10 different unit codes
VCR/2010 is for Toshiba Tivo
VCR/2011 thru VCR/2013 are Sony Tivos with unit codes 1-3
VCR/2014 thru VCR/2016 are Sony DirecTivos with unit codes 1-3
VCR/2017 is for Hauppauge PVR250
VCR/2018 is for Motorola DCT-6208
The #9 button in VCR/1997 selects SAT/0775 for DishPVR

I also threw the AUD/0167 code in there for X10 stuff as the URC-6131 didn't have that code for some reason.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a really good idea that you posted the file for anyone following this thread. My brain was working on overtime trying to work this out, and plan how I'm going to implement this. I didn't realize how distracted this made me until this morning when I went to unload the dishwasher, and found corn cobs! I had to dig through the trash to find the cutlery. Laughing

I might try to do a video on taming this horrible OEM remote with this type of solution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: