JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.04 build 14 on Windows 10 cells too small to read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agilbert

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: RMIR v2.04 build 14 on Windows 10 cells too small to read Reply with quote

Hi, I am a brand new newbie trying to learn RMIR. I have Windows 10 and after installing, RMIR is unreadable because the fonts and the cells in the chart are too small. I may be missing something very simple, but for the life of me I can not figure out how to make them bigger. Also, there is no choice for "fonts" in the options as the Wiki said there would be. Help! Smile
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a high resolution monitor (4K for example)? What is your screen resolution (dpi)?

Graham: possibly putting the result of java.awk.Toolkit.getScreenResolution into the log would be a good idea?
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just "grasping at straws" type suggestion, since I don't see the same problem running RMIR on Windows 10, but... The first thing I would try in RMIR is: Options -> Look and Feel -> and try each of the options to see if any look better to you.

When I tried it on my machine, the font size was basically the same in all modes. But still, it would be worth a try.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it on my Windows 10 4K machine, and indeed it is small - seems like Java is one of those apps that doesn't support DPI scaling correctly (I have mine at 115%).

Changing the 'Theme' to 'Nimbus' makes it usable for me.

@mathdon - see this:
https://superuser.com/questions/988379/how-do-i-run-java-apps-upscaled-on-a-high-dpi-display
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the following, taken from the link that xnappo suggested I see:

1.Find java.exe you installed.
2.Right click -> Properties
3.Go to Compatibility tab
4.Check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
5.Choose System for Scaling performed by:

I am using Windows 8.1 (with Java 7) and don't see this option under the Compatibility tab, so I presume it is a Windows 10 option only. Please let us know if this fixes the issue.

As for your question about the missing Fonts option, you should be aware that RemoteMaster contains two programs, RMIR and RM. If you ran Setup.vbs then you should have two icons on your desktop, one for each program. The "Font size" option is present only under RM. RM is the original program, an editor for device upgrades, and RemoteMaster can still be run in RM mode. RMIR incorporates both RM and the facilities of another, separate, program called IR (which is now obsolete as it cannot handle modern UEI remotes). It has not been practicable to extend the Font Size option to RMIR, which is considerably more complex than RM.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Googling gave me the impression that handling high DPI gracefully with Java Swing is essentially an unsolved problem. Might be better with Java 9, which is due in July.

Sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: