JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Simpleset cable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Simpleset cable? Reply with quote

I picked up a 4-device Simpleset the other day for cheap, figured I'd play with it and add it to the long list of remotes in my collection. It didn't come with a cable.

The interface is a USB Micro so I plugged in one of the many cables I had but I can get no where. the docs say it's a USB Mass Storage device so my mac should immediately see it. But nothing. I've tried a couple of microUSB cables.

Is the simple set cable unique in some way? or should a standard MicroUSB cable work for me? Or is the remote broken? (the buttons flash when I push them so the remote is working)
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses a standard USB Micro cable. I don't have a Mac, but a one point when we were adapting RMIR to the Simpleset Remotes, I used my son's Mac Air to read and write to a OARUSB04G. There's probably been some improvements to IOS since then, but I think Mac users are still working with Simpleset remotes.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll dig up another cable and see if maybe that cable was bad. I have a bunch of them "somewhere"

but last I looked the cable I used was good enough to charge my Android phone
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been the cable, I found another one and it seems to be working now.

FWIW the 4-device OARUSB04 seems like a pretty nice remote. My "daily" is the Nexus/Insignia remote and I like the feel of the OAR. Going to have to use the extender to make it do what the Nexus can do right now, so have some work to do to learn about all of the new features of the Maxim based remotes. But right now I'm leaning toward a re-do and swap out.

Plus it feels like it has real "switches" for the buttons instead of the conductive plastic ones that I have worn out on previous remotes. has anyone taken the remote apart to see if this is true? Wonder what the lifetime is on the switches?
yaworski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@unclemiltie: I've taken apart URC-6440, which is its European counterpart and it uses metal tactile domes mounted on the PCB, under the rubber buttons. OAR should use the same type of buttons.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: USB Micro cable Reply with quote

For future reference, some of the USB Micro cables used for charging things only have the 2 power wires in them since they are charging cables they get by cheaper by not having the 2 data wires in them. I have a few given to me and with my meter I confirmed that they were missing the data wires So as the saying goes , buyer beware
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I suspect that is what happened. that cable is now in the trash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: