JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Move settings from URC-8810 to 8910?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timewalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Move settings from URC-8810 to 8910? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
So I have been a loyal URC fan for years, finally got a parallel cable from uwereinert last year, and have successfully backed up both my living room URC-8810 and bedroom URC-8910, and have done some customization, so overall I'm happy.

But, things change, and my venerable 8810 is dying. Buttons are getting mushy and hard to push, and while I might try cleaning it, I have found and purchased a new 8910 from eBay to replace it.

Here's my question. I know I can't just load an 8810 profile to an 8910 in RMIR. But is there any way to export a profile or even the individual devices to the 8910? I'd rather not re-learn all of those custom key presses if I can help it.

Either way, thanks for all of the help so far,

Joe
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit each device, pick 8910 from the remote type drop-down. Then go to the layout and make sure all the commands are still where you want them.

Your macros will have to be redone from scratch.

When migrating to a new remote I always open 2 sessions of RMIR so I can see the old while programming the new.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd rather not re-learn all of those custom key presses if I can help it.

I am actually surprised that you are using learns. I typically convert them to keymoves. However if you are not using an extender you might be best off leaving them as learned , since the keymove space is rather limited in the old jp1 remotes. You are missing out if you don't try the 8910 extender, i was rather intimidated by them . the people here had to drag me kicking and screaming into the wonderful world of extenders. They can really tame a complicated system.

did you know you can copy a learn from one IR session to another even if it is a different remote? I was surprised by that. Really helps if you are learning challenged like I am. I find that if I don't have a helper to operate one of the remotes I just can't do it, I don't think sideways!

Good luck

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
timewalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej. That makes sense.
I'll try that this week.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:
I'd rather not re-learn all of those custom key presses if I can help it.

I am actually surprised that you are using learns. I typically convert them to keymoves. However if you are not using an extender you might be best off leaving them as learned , since the keymove space is rather limited in the old jp1 remotes. You are missing out if you don't try the 8910 extender, i was rather intimidated by them . the people here had to drag me kicking and screaming into the wonderful world of extenders. They can really tame a complicated system.

Yeah, I was excited about the extender, until I saw how much work it would be to rebuild every single function. Some day I will do it, maybe when I get another 8910 so it doesn't interfere with anything my wife is using the remote for.

I have an A/V switch with component and optical inputs that I had to learn all of the functions for, along with some keys for an Insignia TV and Sony Blu-Ray that didn't have all of the functions in the upgrades I found here, so I have a few learned signals.

Quote:

did you know you can copy a learn from one IR session to another even if it is a different remote? I was surprised by that. Really helps if you are learning challenged like I am. I find that if I don't have a helper to operate one of the remotes I just can't do it, I don't think sideways!

Good luck

I did not know that. I will have to look into it. Thanks,
Joe
timewalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaannnd.... it didn't work. When I open up the 8810 backup file, the only devices I can open to edit are the custom ones I added after getting a jp1 cable (Blu-Ray, Apple TV, new Insignia TV), and even when I open those, when I click on the remote drop-down, the only option is URC-881x.

Crying or Very sad
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only edit devices with existing upgrades. If you can't change remotes, your RDFs are missing. Download the full set of RDFs and Maps.

Go ahead and make upgrades for all your devices. That's much more efficient and flexible than tons of learns and key moves.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are trying to edit them from inside rmir. You need to save the upgrade as a separate rdmu file. Once you do that you can open it from the 8910 image. Buttons should retain their function.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
timewalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You can only edit devices with existing upgrades. If you can't change remotes, your RDFs are missing. Download the full set of RDFs and Maps.

Go ahead and make upgrades for all your devices. That's much more efficient and flexible than tons of learns and key moves.

I'll work on making upgrades. I've got the tutorial http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version

I should have the full set of RDFs and Maps. I downloaded them to this PC yesterday from this site.
Curious...

vickyg2003 wrote:
It sounds like you are trying to edit them from inside rmir. You need to save the upgrade as a separate rdmu file. Once you do that you can open it from the 8910 image. Buttons should retain their function.

Yes, that is what I was trying to do. I will try that with one of the three devices I already have as upgrades and see how that works.
Thanks Vicky.
timewalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, resurrecting this thread as I have finally made some time to take the info from the 8811 to the 8910.
And the devices I made for most things worked fine,except when I downloaded the custom device I made from learned signals for my Psyclone A/V Switcher,
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882711001 )
the 8910 didn't operate it.
I thought maybe something messed up in the saving/uploading/downloading process between the two devices (even though the Xbox 360 and Yamaha receiver worked fine),so I just relearned the device on the 8910 (Power and device buttons 1, 2, 4 and 4.) All learns showed SUCCESS, but it never operated the switcher.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any JP1 remote which does operate the switcher, save an *.IR file from it, either using IR.exe or the Remote/Raw Download function in RMIR. Upload the IR file to the Diagnosis Area and post a link here. Then we can identify exactly which signals work.
timewalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is the link to the RAW download from RMIR.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12936
The AV Switch is set up on the TV device button and uses Power, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Thanks,
Joe
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've looked at these and they are bog-standard F12 signals.

Does your upgrade in the 8910 specify F12 (should be PID=001A), OBCs 9,17,10,5, and 16? Assigned the buttons? Can you try to teach the signals the 8910 is sending to your 8811? Then check to see if the newly learned signals in the 8811 are F12. If they are, but the Psyclone still doesn't respond, then we'll probably have to fiddle with the exact durations of the IR burst pairs.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a lot of trouble with the f12 signals being very sensitive to timing and frequency before. I think it was a drapery that was giving us fits before
timewalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the RDMU file I made for the Psyclone switch.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12942
Protocol F12
PID - 001A
OBC - 5, 9, 17, 10, 16

Probably won't be able to try and re-teach the 8811 until this weekend or next week.
Thanks!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your RMDU file leaves the device number unspecified and the default value is 0. The learns show that the actual device number is 7. So edit this RMDU file to specify device 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: