JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AT&T U-verse remote S30-S1A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zip now contains only map and image files from yesterday.

Device 0 is STB and it has all buttons in the button map. TV has only Power and TV input. Are you working from my version 2 RDF? The first version had the STB and TV device numbers reversed. If you don't have it, I'll overwrite it into the RDF development area.

As far as I can tell. the remote does not do keymoves. Also, since it is a modeless remote, I don't see how we can use anything except STB device mode.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I think I started with your latest. See if it's correct now. TV is 0, STB is 1. But 0 (TV) has the biggest button map. All my changes were in the Buttons section, just the one MyMultiview change (in RDF and map) plus some generics.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I hadn't uploaded the latest, so I merged your button name changes with the correct button numbers, and corrected the device numbers.

In my first attempt at the RDF, I started with the RDF from the URC6820 Zapper remote, since it is also a modeless remote with a similar memory structure. But the two remote have a different device button numbers and I failed to change that. It's fixed now.

For clarity, the S30-S1B remote puts STB at device number 0, and TV at 1. You can see that in the setup codes. The STB button map is the large one, which is reasonable since this remote's main job is to operate a STB. Its button map allow it to send a STB signal for every button except TV Input. TV only can send Power, TV Input, Vol+/-, and Mute, with Power only available through the Power macro, and the volume buttons via punchthrough. No setup code can send digits or Ch+/-. If you setup the remote to also handle an Audio component, the volume punch through uses the Audio setup code.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks good except MyMultimedia in RDF needs to change to MyMultiview.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered this remote supports VPT after all. Change None in RDF to V to enable it. However, for it to work, all three vol devices must be set to the same value.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does VPT even mean on a remote with no device buttons? All the buttons are hard wired to the main setup code (ie, U-verse) and it's just the volume buttons, input button and phantom power button that come from the TV device.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

That's good to know. Here's how I thought it might work, referring to RDFSpec4_Addendum_rev8.pdf, located in the docs subfolder of the RMIR distribution. See pages 3 (Punch through) and 11 (Update to the [DeviceButtons] section). The S30-S1B (like the URC6820 Zapper+) is a mode-less remote, so I copied most of the lines in the RDF file from the URC6820 RDF.
However, the S30 is a simpler design than the URC6820, so the work around that Graham needed to employ is evidently not necessary with the S30.

Effectively the S30 remote is only ever in STB device mode, so there can only be one punch through device. It is also a segmented remote, and for these remotes, the punch though data is stored in the type 00 segment just after the setup code word, in case you want to look for it.

I think the RDF should have an additional change:
Code:
[DeviceButtons]
STB   = $A1 $A3 0 0
TV    = $A2 0 0 0
Audio = $A3 0 0 0
should be changed to
Code:
[DeviceButtons]
STB   = $A1 0
TV    = $A2 0
Audio = $A3 0
The former notation is meant to be paired with Punchthru = none.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote has 3 devices, but one combo mode, so to speak. For example, on mine, I have Tivo for the STB, Sony for TV and Denon for Audio. You can set vol keys to any of those, so I would still consider that punch thru. Input seems to be hard coded to the TV device.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Remote has 3 devices, but one combo mode, so to speak. For example, on mine, I have Tivo for the STB, Sony for TV and Denon for Audio. You can set vol keys to any of those, so I would still consider that punch thru. Input seems to be hard coded to the TV device.

How do u switch between the 3 modes?

Did you ever work out why the phantom power buttons have the same codes as 2 of the top 3 colored buttons?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean how do you change the Vol device? Just pick it in RMIR (after changing the RDF). Or to do it manually on the remote, hold OK-MENU for 2 blinks, VOL+, then either OnDemand for TV vol, Interactive for AUD vol, or MyMultiview for STB vol. Otherwise, there is no way I know of to completely change device modes.

I don't know exactly why the phantom power are the same codes, but I can tell you that you use those buttons when you program the power macro manually on the remote. To do that, hold OK-MENU for 2 blinks, press any sequence of OnDemand (TV pwr), Interactive (AUD pwr) and MyMultiview (STB pwr), then OK to save.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the VPT info, but what I really meant was, if you have 3 devices programmed into your remote, how do u switch between the devices, but I see now that the other 2 devices are only good for audio, so switching between them *is* changing the VPT.

I guess if someone were to ever bother to write an extender for this remote, we could chose to re-purpose those 3 buttons to be device buttons. Or, could we re-use the old Device Multiplexor on a remote like this? I don't know if JP1 special protocols work on JP2 style remotes.

If it would work, I think I could make this remote work for my setup. We mostly just need to control the U-verse STB, a Bluray player and the TV (for Netflix, etc), so the multiplexor would switch between those 3. Then I would have the "TV" mode volume buttons work my stereo, which we use for sound.

Having said that, I am still partial to my 15-1994 myself, which I have already programmed to work all of those, and the 4 "smart" keys are perfect for the A/B/C/D colored buttons. But, I bet my kids would like to use the S30 for all 3 main devices.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't switch between devices. VPT is all you get. We had higher hopes going in. Unfortunately, this remote has very limited functionality.

In my case, it's a decent replacement for a Tivo remote with VPT for AUD and a power macro. In your case, it really won't work at all since the only device you can fully control is the STB.

Not sure what extender possibilities are out there. If it works like the OARUSB04G, we should be able to write an extender like Graham did.

I plan to keep messing with it a little and see what else I can squeeze out of it, sans extender.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the old Multiplexor special protocol, is there any possibility to use old JP1 special protocols in a JP1.4/JP2 remote, or is the internal structure too different for that?

If we can switch which setup code is loaded to STB mode, that would make the remote more useful, and I personally have no need for the OnDemand, Interactive and MyMultiview buttons, so I'd be fine with re-using those as device buttons.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
The remote is already capable of switching STB setup codes, but probably not as easily as you would like. Most remotes which have a setup code multiplexer invoke it by simultaneously holding the Setup button and (typically) the Red/Green/Yellow buttons to select the setup code. I don't know how to invoke it with the S30. Clearly the intent by UEI is to make this doable, but not accidentally.

The segment that defines this functionality is Type 17 and most remotes allow changing the details. Here we have as supplied from the factory:
00 10 17 FF A1 00 02 1F 20 00 03 5A 00 0B D4 FF
0x10 bytes, type 17, applies to device button A1 (STB), 2 multiplexed codes, invoked (in part) with buttons $1F and $20 (digits buttons 1 and 2), selects between setup codes 035A (0858) and 0BD4 (3028). If the S30 works like other remotes, one could use RMIR (Segments tab) or JP2Sniffer to edit this segment to have more setup codes and to choose the selector buttons and setup codes.

After 10,000 or more switches, the flash memory may wear out. I suppose an extender could be written to invoke the switch just by pressing a button. What's attractive about this remote compared to other more capable ones?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual, holding OK-MENU simultaneously for 2 blinks invokes setup mode. Then you enter a 5 digit setup code beginning with either digit 1 (TV) or 2 (AUD) as you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: