JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-3940 R03 (URC 11-3940 R03)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: URC-3940 R03 (URC 11-3940 R03) Reply with quote

Hello,

recently I've bought this URC-3940 remote control to replace an old remote.
I've found the "usual" 6-pin connector inside of the battery compartment, so I was confident to get it programmed to totally fit my needs.

To make a long story short:
It looks like there is no support for it yet (probably because there are other remotes named URC-3940 without a 6-pin header, where JP1 support obviously doesn't make much sense.

But mine is a URC-3940 R03 (where the R03 may make the difference).
It is identified by oneforall.com as "OFA Slim Line 4 2013 (3940 R03)" (in contrast to "OFA Slim Line 4 2012 (3940 R02)"...2011 R01 ...2009 R00.)

I have no problems communicating with it (using RMIR or jp1xtest and my newly built JP1.x serial interface cable).

jp1xtest reports:
*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM1!
Signature is 351201
Memory address is $EC00

Signature blink out works and shows 35121.
RMIR finally identifies it as JP1.4.

JP2Sniffer on the other hand only gives me "read time out"s, no matter what I try.
[EDIT]
I think, this is a problem with my "discrete" serial JP1.x cable, which is not really compatible with JP1.4.
I hope to get a USB/serial converter cable (FTDI) next week and will try again.
[/EDIT]

I can see no JP??? marking near the header. It may be printed on the pcb somewhere inside of the case, but I don't want to disassemble the remote yet - because it is brand new.)

Anyway, using the "351201 (URC 11-2981 R01).rdf" as a template I've created an RDF (and made a JPG and MAP file) for my URC-3940.
(A URC-2981 looks completely different, but seems not to be so different regarding the RDF - there are some essential differences, though.
URC-3940 and URC-3920 look nearly identical but seem to be totally different otherwise :-\ )

(I had to learn a lot of new stuff about JP1.3 and newer, memory segments and other things first.)

The RDF already works very well for me.
But it probably/surely is not 100% correct/complete. E.g.: I'm not able to verify the Protocols, DigitMaps, SetupCodes sections, because I don't know how to do that (easily).
I've verified the "ButtonMaps" 0 and 2 and think, 1 and 3 (same as 2) could be correct, too.

And I know (now), that only the RMIR 2.04 (2.03???) version is able to recognize the $13 segment correctly. The older 2.02a version, that I used before doesn't "see" that segment at all.
And I still don't know, what the data in the $13 segment stand for.

The remote has no learning ability, so there probably is no $09 segment.

I've uploaded all the important files to the -> Diagnosis Area and hope, that some experts can take a look at them, see if they are useful and revise them as needed.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by spock on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the same signature as the 2981. I believe that UEI always changes the signature if the code or data changes in any way, so you can reasonably expect that your remote has the same executors, setup codes, button maps, etc as the 2981.

Segment 13 typically defines System behavior, like the amount of time before a backlight shuts off.
spock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3FG,

thank you for your reply.

Quote:
It has the same signature as the 2981.

That's why I had tried the "351201 (URC 11-2981 R01).rdf" first. Wink
And I could see very quickly, that this RDF was a good start (whereas the 3920 RDF didn't really match - that one may be from a R00 or R01 revision remote).

Quote:
Segment 13 typically defines System behavior, like the amount of time before a backlight shuts off.

Ok, that's interesting.
I've just found this thread -> www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30
with your hints to the Type 13 segment.
But the URC-3940 is a rather simple remote. It has no backlight. So the $13 segment may not be that important to me.

Fortunately the 3940 is not too simple. The "Quick Set UP" only mentions the 991 magic.
But the remote also "knows" (double blinks) the magic numbers 983, 989, 992, 993, 994 and 995.
So it can handle the most important things (except learning).
I'm still trying to figure out, how the 989 works.
(But according to this thread -> www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6334&sid=8de938bde69ac9da13e0110320de7b05
it may have to do with the backlight, too.)

What I've just found is, that by adding a
[SpecialProtocols]
DSM=Internal:0
entry to the RDF, I really got DSMs working.

This is great - DSMs were definitely one thing, that I wanted to see in this remote. Smile
spock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimenting with the Segment 13 data I've found something new - at least it was new to me:
The last non-FF value (03 in this case) seems to define (or influence) the delay between the execution of 2 consecutive macro key signals. I've changed that value to 64 and it took ~ 10 seconds between 2 signals (blinks). So I would say, the value is the pause between macro signals x 100ms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: