JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteMasterv2.04 crash on upload to device
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: RemoteMasterv2.04 crash on upload to device Reply with quote

Hi all...a longtime user, mostly lurker, on these threads. I was updating my remotes for a new addition and found the latest version of Remote Master 2.04. I was previously using RM2.0 and IR8.3 and they still work fine...I just love the new integrated interface of 2.04 and for me it is not working.

I am on Windows 7 using a JP1 usb serial interface with the correct Delcomm driver and a couple different remotes...this one involves the URC-9910.

The New RM2.04 works fine for me, including downloading from the device and editing EXCEPT that it bombs when I try to upload to the device. The window simply closes and a java error file is created. I have uploaded the RM error file and the java error file. I know my devices and usage model are probably ancient compared to most here, but I still love the 8910.

I can still update my device using the old tool versions, but like I really DO like the new version and its interface.

I tried two versions of Java1.8 and Java1.7 to see if it made a difference but it didn't. The Java dump file was the same.

RM error file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14295

In the above file, I am simply downloading the current image from the remote and then trying to upload it back...it fails the same if I load the image from a file and then try to upload it. I did this to show that the interface seems to be working fine...remember that both upload and downloads work when using my older version of IR.

Java dump error file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14296

Thanks for any help ... let me know what I can do if anything
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more bit of information...

When the upload of the data fails, the remote displays the message MEM FAULT. The remote does not function. However, I can download this faulty data that has been "uploaded" to the remote.

It looks like only the first two bytes on the memory dump - RAW DATA - have changed. All my key moves, special functions, devices, appear to stille be there unchanged....it seems that the "write" to my remote partially succeeds and then fails after the first few bytes.

Last edited by jonpcar on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...

I found that version 2.0 of RMIR has the same problem for me. However, I did find a workaround.

I can do all my editing in the latest version of RMIR version 2.04 build 9, and then save my output as a .ir file. I didn't realize that RMIR could create .ir files compatible with older versions of IR.

I then load that IR file into IR8.3 and upload it to my remote using the JP1 interface. So I have a fairly easy workaround but it seems that there might be a problem with the JP1 write protocol for my device in RMIR?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify the situation with RMIR 2.0 please? In your first post you say that you were previously using it. Were you only using it in RM mode rather than as RMIR, since you were also using IR.exe? If you ever had RMIR 2.0 working in RMIR mode, has anything changed in your system that could have caused it to no longer work?

I think the problem must lie in jp1usb.dll. There is an old version of this still available here. Could you try this with RMIR 2.04 and let us know what happens? It should replace the jp1usb.dll file in the Windows-x86 subfolder of your RMIR installation folder.
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, sorry I wasn't very clear...I was a bit confused too as far as what tools I was using. My problem is that I use these tools only about once every year and a half...every time I have to update something due to computer changes, windows updates etc.

Apparently the previous time I downloaded RMIR it was version 2.O I only used the RM portion of that tool and used IR8.O3 for loading my remote. I attributed that at the time to something I had screwed up and was fine with it.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of RMIR2.O4 and had the problem described above when trying to upload to my remote. However, my previous work around works this time as well, using IR8.O3 to load the device. Today I did go back and try RMIR2.O with same result as RMIR2.O4. My memory is foggily coming back from last year but I am confident that I have never successfully run the IR portion of RMIR to load my remote.

I tried the old jp1usb.dll with RMIR2.O4 that you pointed me to and it didn't make a difference. One question though...the comment for the file you pointed to is "Version 0.02 of jp1usb.dll, which is used by RMIR but not by IR.exe. This new version supports the WinUSB driver for the Delcom chip"

Would I want to try the jp1usb.dll that IS used by IR.exe? I looked for one in my "working" directory of IR8.O3 and could not find one....probably a different build methodology than RMIR?

As far as what has changed in my system...I am on a relatively new system build using Windows 7, my only Windows 7 computer remaining. I installed the Delcomm driver, downloaded and installed the latest version of RMIR, and simply copied the directory of the IR8O3 over from my previous computer which is now on Windows 1O and unusable for programming using my jp1 serial device...my understanding is there is no driver for it on Windows 1O.
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and tried ALL the old jp1usb.dll's posted in the archive area and none of them worked. I did find that there was a posting by ElizabethD with a very similar error regarding the jp1usb ?specifically? for the URC-891O and wonder if it is related?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9594

In particular, my error file and hers share these lines near the end

Translator.in() index=0 missing parameter value
Translator.in() index=1 missing parameter value
jonpcar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I keep searching around...here is the thread associated with the previous ElizabethD upload...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13085

I'm reading through this thread now but seems very similar...the first 2 bytes of my RAW file uploading to the device seem to be different. Remember that to test the upload, I simply downloaded the current remote contents and then tried to upload them...it failed but the only two bytes that looked different were the very first two bytes. Why did the RAW data change at all? Unfortunately, my understanding of these issues is not deep enough to understand how it was fixed.

Also...Graham, you made this comment in one of those posts: "I've also fixed another bug that I've found - fixed data was not being used on a download to resolve ambiguity when there is more than one remote with the appropriate signature. I thought I had sorted this for v2.01 but it didn't work properly. "

This comment rang a bell with me because I believe it's very possible that I have been inconsistent in which remote I have chosen over the years and with the tools...there are multiple remotes with the same signature for the URC-891O/991O including new and old versions, etc. I have always thought these were pretty much equivalent remotes/files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, does the latest RMIR work with Delcom based JP1 (not JP1.x) cables? I seem to remember hitting a problem before with one of these legacy categories (sorry, I don't remember exactly which one) where RMIR didn't work and we just decided to leave it "as is" as nobody seemed to be using it anymore, and IR.exe still worked with it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rob
The latest RMIR is supposed to work with Delcom JP1 cables on all Windows versions for which there is a Delcom driver. The official Delcom driver is for 32-bit systems, but it is old and I don't know how compatible it is with more recent versions of Windows. There is also the WinUSB driver under Tools > Drivers in our File Section. That has 32-bit and 64-bit versions and the installation instructions say that it is compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1 so without further assurances about compatibility, I am hesitant about trying the WinUSB driver.

Jonpcar appears to be running 32-bit Java under 64-bit Windows 7. I am confused as to whether this means he needs a 32-bit or a 64-bit driver. The Delcom 32-bit driver is what he has installed, and it appears to work OK for reading the remote but not for writing. However, the installation instructions for the WinUSB driver say that you use the version corresponding to your OS, not to your Java version. That makes sense to me as the driver is nothing to do with Java, but it makes me puzzled as to why the Delcom 32-bit driver works for him with IR.exe.

The only legacy category where I think a decision was taken to leave it unsupported was JP1.1, as there are very few JP1.1 remotes. Even there, I added JP1.1 support to RMIR some time ago but I couldn't test it as I don't have either a JP1.1 remote or a JP1.1-compatible cable. It is the only category for which I don't have a remote, so I suspect the JP1.1 support has never been tested.

@Jonpcar
Please read what I have written for Rob and then think whether you are prepared to try the WinUSB driver. The FAQ for it says that you don't have to uninstall the Delcom driver to install the WinUSB one. RMIR and IR.exe have different interfaces to the Delcom driver so I wonder if IR.exe only accesses features common to a 32-bit and 64-bit driver but RMIR uses features that require a 64-bit driver. I don't understand the hardware side of all this, so that might not even make sense, but it makes me believe that it is worth your trying the 64-bit WinUSB driver in place of the 32-bit Delcom one.
jonpcar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, thanks. I realize now that once again I misspoke about exactly what I have installed. My installed driver is listed as Delcom Proxy but it is actually the same WinUSB 64-bit driver that you last pointed me to. I downloaded it again to make sure and had the same result.

There doesn't seem to be a 64-bit version of the official Delcom driver to use on my 64-bit Windows 7 system and, I tried, but the 32-bit Delcom version will obviously not load. From your comments it seems that you might be running an official Delcom driver on your 64-bit Windows 8.1 and not WinUSB, or are you too running the WinUSB 64-bit driver?

I am thinking that Rob is on the right track on this one and that this is too much trouble to debug this for one user, haha. It sounds like I might be running a dinosaur? Thanks for your help and I totally understand if it deads ends here...I have truly been amazed over the years how much help all you experts have given us users with these JP1 tools.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a brief reply as it is very late here. There isn't a 64-bit official Delcom driver. I have a JP1 cable with a Delcom chip but I have no way of using it on my 64-bit Windows 8.1 system. The currently supported way to connect JP1 remotes is with a JP1.2/3 cable and a JP1 EEPROM Adapter. This eliminates the need for a Delcom chip and its driver as the JP1.2/3 cables use an FTDI chip (or a Prolific chip or FTDI clone, both of which are best avoided).

You are indeed running a dinosaur, but I do this work for the challenges it presents so I haven't given up on your problems yet. I may have to in due course, if I cannot find a way to reproduce the problem behaviour, but I have things I want to try before then.
jonpcar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what I can do/try. I have looked around in the forums a bit more...in addition to the thread I pointed out with the ElizabethD upload back in 2011...here is a thread from last year where you, Robman, VickyG, and ElizabethD wrestled with something again very similar. Not sure if Robman is still using the URC-9910 but ElizabethD definitely was in that thread.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16693&sid=2e02f7bd267a86eb19688a4f7ee0b68a

Rob can possibly verify whether he has successfully uploaded using the JP1 interface and RMIR...in the above thread he indicated that he is using IR for the upload, the same as I have to do.

I really wonder if RAW data changing of the first two bytes could be related...AND, possibly the 8910/9910 remote itself. Both of those are common to my situation.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I didn't follow up in that thread, but it does appear to be the same issue that you're having (or at least similar).

I so very rarely even get out my JP1 cables to do anything these days that I couldn't honestly say which combinations do work and which don't.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only computers which run 64 bit Windows 10. However, I was able to use both RMIR and IR to download and upload to a URC8011 remote using a Delcom USB cable. Here's how:

First, I didn't use the WinUSB driver available in the file section. That was developed just short of 7 years ago, and Microsoft has made some progress since then. In fact, if I understand the situation correctly, our WinUSB drivers shouldn't install on 64 bit Win 8 or 10--not for technical reasons, but because the installation package isn't signed. Instead, with Win8 or 10 it is possible to install manually. The instructions for hand installing a USB device like the Delcom cable are reasonably clear, but do assume a high level of Windows literacy. I followed the procedure in the section "Installing WinUSB by specifying the system-provided device class", using the GUID {cafa8e93-7c32-4c27-b088-d8c36aaf4ebf}. The system presented me with a scare message at Step 7 about possibly making the OS unstable, but I ignored that. I don't know if it is necessary to use that particular GUID, but it is the one we used with the old WinUSB drivers, and maybe our software looks for it. I don't remember.

This worked immediately with IR 8.04, but RMIR required an extra step because I ordinarily use 64 bit Java. RMIR doesn't have a 64 bit version of JP1USB.dll, so it is necessary to run it using the 32 bit JRE. I downloaded the 32 bit JRE, copied the RMIR shortcut into a new shortcut I called RMIR-32 bit, and edited this so that the target for my system is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_112\bin\javaw.exe" -jar RemoteMaster.jar. Starting RMIR with this shortcut and checking Help About shows that the JP1 USB version 0.031 dll was loaded. Then RMIR also worked.

This isn't necessarily the whole story. I tested on hardware which is fairly old and has an Intel chipset. The Delcom cable was apparently developed with Intel UHCI, and wasn't tested against OHCI chips. Back in 2010, we spent a lot of time coming up with error correction strategies to make the Delcom cable work with non-Intel chipsets. PCs being sold now have EHCI chipsets, and it isn't obvious that the Delcom cable can work well with this newer USB hardware.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed 3FG's excellent guidance and installed WinUSB as the driver for my JP1 Delcom-based cable. The GUID that 3FG gives IS necessary as it is hard coded into JP1USB. I have also compiled a 64-bit version of JP1USB and have downloaded, edited, uploaded and re-downloaded the setup of my URC-8550, a JP1 remote, with RMIR running with 64-bit Java 7. The edit I made clearly uploaded correctly as it was present in the re-download. My Windows 8.1 appears to have an EHCI chipset, if I understand the Device Manager entry correctly: under Universal Serial Bus Controllers there is an entry "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)" which I presume is EHCI. It is only a single test, but everything seems to work remarkably well.

I will include the 64-bit version of JP1USB in the next build of RMIR, which I hope to issue in a few days time - provided no nasty bugs appear in the meantime. For information, this next build includes support for import of Pronto signals to any remote that supports Learned Signals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: