JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One For All OARUSB04G
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritNerd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: One For All OARUSB04G Reply with quote

I've been out of the loop for a few years but came across One For All OARUSB04G on ebay for $10 so I bought a couple mainly as they appear to come with a USB lead but I have a few questions:

Does this count as a JP1 device or not?
Apart from the OFA website option, what tools can be used with it, specifically tools that work well with Windows 10?
Is it possible to adjust the timing between key presses in macros?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does count as a JP1 device. You can use RMIR with it, connected through the USB port. No need for a JP1 cable. RMIR is reported to work well with Windows 10. There is a comprehensive extender for it, see this link, which extends the remote from 4 devices and 2 activities to 12 devices and 6 activities, as well as adding all the usual extender features.

Specifically about adjusting the timing between key presses in macros, it depends on what you want to do. You cannot shorten the gap between the key presses, but with the extender you can lengthen it by inserting a variable length pause between them. You can also shorten the hold time of the keypresses. By default each keypress in a macro is held for 250ms and there is a gap of 300ms between them. You can shorten the 250ms and insert pauses to lengthen the 300ms, but you can't get rid of that 300ms delay.

Hope this helps.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

You may find the following thread an interesting read. It will give you an idea of the huge amount of time, effort and detective work it took to make this class of remote work with JP1 software. There's another 26 pages of private posts among the developers in addition to the thread below. Graham, 3FG, Tranx, yaworski, MikeT and others have done some amazing work, with Graham's fantastic extender being the icing on the cake. (Apologies if I left anybody out).

It's easy to take for granted that JP1 just works for over a hundred remotes and works so well without realizing all the time and effort that goes on behind the scenes.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15142

But getting back to the original topic, if you're not quite ready to dive into the extender, you can also use the pause protocol in Remote Master device editor for controlling timing between macro steps. Extenders may be hard to wrap your head around if you're new to JP1. I know it was a steep learning curve for me.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies. My macro timing question was an attempt to solve a problem my wife encounters when using the power on macro on my current setup. It seems to take about 3 seconds to execute and she often moves the remote before the sequence concludes, leaving some devices off.

It seems as if I have accidentally stumbled across a good choice of remote! Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remotes I've receive seem to be the older "4000" version. Do they have to be updated to the 'new' version using the settings.bin provided in the extender zip before installing the extender?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritNerd wrote:
The remotes I've receive seem to be the older "4000" version. Do they have to be updated to the 'new' version using the settings.bin provided in the extender zip before installing the extender?

No, the extender settings.bin can be copied directly to that version of the remote. If you first upgraded it to the newer (unextended) version, that update would be overridden by the extender in any case, so it would make absolutely no difference.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham. I've got most of the setup down but have hit a snag. On my old remotes I've used a macro on the Power button to turn devices on and off, e.g.

TV, Power, AUDIO, Power, STB, Power

If I try the same thing on the extended OARUSB04G the remote seems to lock up (I suspect a loop). I can assign the same sequence as a LKP on Red and it works fine. Is there some better way to do what I want using the Power button/macro combination?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mark, you have an infinite loop. If you include Power in a macro on the Power button it will call the macro again, since the extender allows macros to be nested. What you need to do is to put Shift/Power in the macro instead of Power. You don't have to assign anything to Shift/Power as in the absence of any assignment, Shift/Power sends the underlying signal on the Power button (without calling the macro). This behaviour is known as "shift cloaking" and is described in section 3.5 of the extender manual.

I don't know how you have been exiting your infinite loop but I suspect by taking the batteries out and then replacing them. The simpler way is to press and hold down the Pause button until the macro exits. See section 10.6 of the manual, where this is explained as the way to exit an inadvertent infinite loop in a macro.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - I must admit I dived in without fully reading the manual, but after encountering the problem I read and found the very useful 'Pause' method of escaping loops. I'll look at using shift cloaking to resolve my Power macro.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the activity buttons or LKPs are better choices for that kind of thing. When you put macros on primary Power, you lose the ability control the power for individual devices except via shift, which isn't very intuitive.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I agree in principle, but the other users are accustomed to Power toggling all devices. I may have to re-train them all Smile

I've been experimenting with LKP in conjunction with macros on phantom keys and the long press part is working but not the short. For example:
Device button <none>, Key Red, Type LKP(4), Function [Short]:STB;Red [Long]:Phantom 1

When I hold Red, the macro assigned to Phantom 1 runs. A short press of Red appears to do nothing. I don't know if the Phantom macro contents are relevant but for the sake of completeness it is:
AUDIO;Shift;XShift-6;1;3;8;5;TV;dash;Up;OK;DVD
(Send Audio EFC to set input, sets TV HDMI input, sets device to DVD)
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I should use Device button <none>, Key Red, Type LKP(4), Function [Short]:Shift-Red [Long]:Phantom 1

Shift cloaking!
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my final question:

Device STB 1877 SkipBack and SkipFwd seem to be the default short press actions with Rewind and FastFwd the default long press actions. Is it possible to swap the short/long defaults, i.e. make short do Rewind/FastFwd, and long do SkipBack and SkipFwd?
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BritNerd. Yes, in RMIR: in the layout page of edit STB, I believe you could just swap the functions between SkipFwd/FastFwd and between SkipBack/Rewind
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranx, yes that was what I was looking for! Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: