JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ir serial receiver not working using winlirc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Ir serial receiver not working using winlirc Reply with quote

I have built a ir serial receiver as per link below
http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=insideBox .
The receiver does not seem to work.
My question is when looking at device manager win 7 should I see more information on com port to which device is connected than just available ports com1 and com2 which is reported in device manager at the moment?
To put it differently --with ir receiver inserted to serial connection or not inserted device manager reports the exact same details!
Regards
Knuckx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ir serial receiver not working using winlirc Reply with quote

smbs wrote:
To put it differently --with ir receiver inserted to serial connection or not inserted device manager reports the exact same details!

That is correct behavior - these LIRC style serial IR recievers are totally dumb, and will never appear in device manager; the same as most serial devices that are not mice or modems.

smbs wrote:
The receiver does not seem to work.

Have you installed WinLIRC (or another compatible program) and configured it for a DCD type serial reciever on the port you are using? Is so, does anything appear in the rawdata window when a remote sends signal nearby to the reciever?
Is the serial port you are using a "real" on motherboard port, a PCI card, or a USB adapter?
Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for reply got it working atlast com1 on motherboard did not work however com2 seems to work but seems to me that winlirc is very senstive to amount of cpu available — is that one of the failings of winlirc or can fine tuning improve performance?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of extremely minimal IR receiver is a really bad idea, more so on WIndows as on Linux. I am surprised that/if you get it to work at all. Consider: the operating system as to in realtime watch a pin that changes several thousand times per second.

Possibly "tuning" will pay of, but better is to use a _sane_ IR receiver, equipped with a micro processor. Unless you value your time very little. Wink
smbs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I get the message
thanx
smbs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I get the message
thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: