JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are the 15-1994 considered a commodity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabrera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Are the 15-1994 considered a commodity? Reply with quote

I just wanted to get an idea of what these remotes are worth to people these days, is this remote considered to the best of the best or just the originator.

and whats the going rate for a new or used 15-1994 remote.

Very Happy
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the 15-1994 considered a commodity? Reply with quote

kabrera wrote:
is this remote considered to the best of the best or just the originator.

Very Happy

Probably considered the best by nostalgic old-timers, but it remains in the estimation of many one of the best layouts and superb in customizability, particularly with the dedicated "learning" keys available. There are arguments regarding whether the 8910/2116/17 are equal to or superior to the 1994, and one can never truly define the "best", but many argue that the 1994 has yet to be surpassed. I'd say the biggest knock on it is its SIZE.

kabrera wrote:
whats the going rate for a new or used 15-1994 remote.

Very Happy

Check out THIS AUCTION for a going rate.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That auction might not be the best guage of what the 15-1994 is worth because they haven't included as many "key" words in the listing and would be advisable. The listing is entitled "RADIO SHACK® 15-1994 REMOTE 6-IN-ONE SMART" which is missing at least the words "universal" and "control".

I've seen the 15-1994 sell for over $45 on ebay.
mdburkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good question.... especially considering I've got a 15-1994 that I'm wanting to sell/trade and I really don't know what to ask for it!

Personally, I like the 15-1994 better than the 2116/2117 series, but not as well as my 8810. The 8810's 4 L buttons and 4 M button plus discrete skip/rewind transport buttons make it a much better choice overall.

However, I like the channel/volume keys on the 15-1994 MUCH better than the 8810's. I also like the "rubberized" finish of the RS remotes a lot better. The new 8910 isn't bad either but I wish it had kept the same key names as the 8810 (i.e. Com Skip isn't even that useful on most PVR's). The additional weight of the LCD also is a drawback to the 8910 (and the 9910 with the RF tranceiver is even heavier!).

I sort of want to get a 6131 to play with but it simply doesn't have enough keys on it to control a full system IMHO.

All things considered, the 1994 is still a great remote with a great key layout. If it just had discrete skip/rewind buttons I'd probably be keeping mine rather than selling it.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, THAT auction ended at $17.50 (plus $8.00 shipping - a pretty good deal for 1994 IMHO) and there's another one HERE with an opening bid of $10.00.

Maybe the going rate is dropping - we'll keep watching.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, this remote has ... "the ability to be externally programmed using a JP3 cable"! Smile
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should keep an eye open on E-bay auctions for these. I have two in service and one as a backup. I wouldn't mind having several more at less than $20 a piece. That is if you can believe the listing from someone who programs via JP3. Very Happy
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say the 15-1994 IMO had the best combination of button and layout of anything, to date. The 2116/7 would compete IF they had the extra learning buttons. The layout was the best because it had the TV functions all together in a tight little area. The channel up/down and volume right in the middle of the remote, so it kept the remote easy to hang onto when surfing, PLUS it put the PiP buttons right inbetween them. The 8910/11 has the PiP all the way at the bottom, thus while surfing, if you wanna do PiP, you gotta move you hand all around the remote for the correct buttons.

My "ideal" remote would have the TV buttons in a grouping, just like the 1994/2116/7, in the middle of the remote, but also have the VCR buttons right above these buttons and the number keys, right below the TV keys. I hate having to move my hand all over the remote, to do the tasks I need.

Now if I could get my wife to stop knocking the 1994 off the chair so much, it may last even longer.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddsmith60 wrote:
I guess I should keep an eye open on E-bay auctions for these. I have two in service and one as a backup. I wouldn't mind having several more at less than $20 a piece. That is if you can believe the listing from someone who programs via JP3. Very Happy
Man, now we have to rename all these cables and the forum.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: