JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question and or please help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Question and or please help. Reply with quote

I have a ReplayTV 5000 remote that is mostly brain dead due to the limited number of buttons it has in it's internal memory (Power, Vol+, Vol- and Mute). I would like to upgrade the devices to fully functional devices but not many on the posts here include the built-in devices (since in the normal remotes those devices are fully functional and no one needed to create one). Is there any way I can "extract" the built-in device codes from my OFA remote (8910) so they could be inported into the ReplayTV remote? I know I could build them from scratch since quite a few of them are documented on the HiFi-Remote.com site, but would like an automated method if one exists (because I am lazy, I guess). If not can anyone offer any other solutions before I go the hard route of building them from scratch?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, there is no way to get additional
devices without using the extender. And devices can't be "imported" in the sense that you are using.

IIRC, Hal documented the extender pretty well but there are several things the the remote just can't do and key moves were the big one. If you are just geting into JP1 the R5K remote is probably a hard way to start and jumping straight to extenders is a big leap for some.

So I would start by reading the documentation and see if it makes sense.

Also I remeber responding to someone with a long description of how I had set up my R5K with Hal's extender.. I'm sure you will find that and a lot of other info by searching R5K in the old Yahoo group.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I have been using JP1 on my OFA 8910 ever since my first 4k ReplayTV and am fairly comfortable with KM and IR. The 5K remote has been extended, so adding devices are only limited by the amount of EEPROM memory. I have re-created a device upgrade for a Sylvania TV/VCR/DVD combo using the audio version OFA sent to my remote via the phone (button by stinking button into KM, then back into IR to upload to the remote). That device plus devices for my Sanyo DVD player, 4DTV satellite box, and 2 discrete 5K ReplayTVs have already been loaded into the 5K's memory. What I need now is my RCA TV (both the built-in codes 0047 and 0747 operate the TV's 5 functions that the 5K's remote know about, so I am not sure which one is right for this thing, RCA F32645) and RCA VCR (VR646HF, yes I still have some VCR's even though I have 4 5K units, because all of the kids movies are VHS...Wink. Guess I should program the 0047 and 0747 codes into my 8910 and figure out which one operates the TV the best, since the power and sound keys for both codes do work with the silly thing.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, I went ahead and programmed the device 0047 into my replayTV 5k remote by hand. I had almost forgot the Devices4.xls file that gave the normal buttons and protocol info. to me, so other than having to change it to a VCR device (so all the buttons were programmable) the device upgrade went without incident. I am looking into some advanced codes (discrete on/off etc.) that I can program to it, but that should be easy. Now I got to figure the code for the VCR and I'll be all set (if memory allows, that is...Wink.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
Hopefully this is a silly question, but have you checked the file section for each of the devices that you wish to add to the R5k remote?

You only mentioned an RCA TV and an RCA VCR. I just checked the file section and there is a file for an RCA TV.

If you ever want a KM file that duplicates a built in setup, just post a request for one. There's a good chance that someone can create one for you quite quickly.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Yes I checked but did not find my specific models. I went on and created one by hand for the TV which works great, but ran out of memory adding the VCR. That's when I decided to use the "RCA Combo (Official)" protocol (my first using a combo protocol, I did try the other device combiner, but also ran out of memory, so I figured since the TV and VCR both used the same protocol this was the best choice) to add the VCR transport buttons (plus discrete power on/off) to the TV I had already created. That all fit into the meager memory within the 5K's remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you don't find the specific model you are looking for, try one for the same brand. Most manufacturers use the same codes for all models of the same "type".

A quick way to narrow down the search is to learn one or two buttons before you start just so you know what protocol & device code you're looking for, then when you see a file for a different model but for the same brand, you can quickly check if the protocol and device codes match.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thanks, I'll do that in the future. Was going to use the learning trick, trouble is my 8910 is using the extender and it lost the "learning" ability (unless I reset to factory defaults). The Devices4.xls gave me what I needed (protocol/fixed data/unit number, EFC buttons etc) after I tested each code using the 8910 to narrow down the best device codes to look for. Interestingly enough I could not find much difference between the codes 0047 and 0747 on my TV so I choose the one that had advanced codes listed for since I am not limited to the original way that device was created, and the extra codes come in handy.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocMCSE wrote:
Rob, Thanks, I'll do that in the future. Was going to use the learning trick, trouble is my 8910 is using the extender and it lost the "learning" ability (unless I reset to factory defaults).

You make it sound like it's difficult or something.

I assume you still have at least one saved file from before adding the extender? In which case, un-installing the extender is as simple as loading one of those files.

Save a copy of your current extended image before you start and then re-installing the extender is as simple as re-loading the file.

Alot of people seem to have a mental block when it comes to extenders, they think that as they can be a little tricky to install the first time, they will be difficult to un-install or re-install, but this is not the case.

At the end of the day, an extender is just data that gets written to the EEPROM, so to uninstall it all you have to do is write new data to the EEPROM. It's not like installing a program on your Windows system where things get written to the registry and all sorts of other places. An extender doesn't get written to the ROM or anything.

So, bottom line, if you want to learn a few buttons, save your current image, load an old image and learn them. Then, once you've made a note of the codes, re-load the saved image. It's that easy.
DocMCSE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, You are right (as always it seems) it is not all that much trouble to do, only issue I ran into was the time I forgot that the extender did away with the learning space and tried to learn a code with the extender still in memory. Now that really was an ugly mess, but as you say easily correctable by re-downloading my saved image back to the remote. One of the other factors in programming all these remotes is the "spouse" factor. That is to say that the spouse does not like having the remotes down the hall plugged into the computer when she needs one in the bedroom, so I try to keep at least one of them "static" while programming the others, and my 8910 is the grandaddy of them all so it is usually elected.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm used to dealing with test environments and production environments. When I write new programs or change old ones, I test them in the test environment before releasing them into production.

As home with the remotes it's the same way. We've got one 15-1994 that's perfectly programmed, with high WAF, for the main system. If I wan't to make changes, I use a "test" 15-1994 and try them out, and only when I'm sure that it's working properly do I bring the master remote downstairs and load it. And even then, I leave the test remote up there while I'm doing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: