JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What IR code to send to receiver?protocol commands or pronto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aqavi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: What IR code to send to receiver?protocol commands or pronto Reply with quote

Hi,
i am building a universal IR transmitter for iphone, and i am confused in whether i should send original IR code or Pronto format. NEC is using 32-bit code, and RC-5 uses 14-bit long code. When i actually send IR code of play button (of Apple remote), what should i send, whether it should be 32-bit NEC code of that button or should i convert it into pronto format first, and then transmit that pronto code to IR receiver...

Best regards,
Abdul Qavi
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR transmitter should send whatever IR signal the devices (that you wish to control) require, you don't have any option there. The only question is, what UI will you give your users so they can enter signals into the app. You should give them at least 2 options, the first being to learn the signals from their OEM remotes and the second being to let them manually enter the signals using Pronto format.

Even better, you should let them save a file containing all their signals so they can share it with others.
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What IR code to send to receiver?protocol commands or pr Reply with quote

aqavi wrote:
Hi,
i am building a universal IR transmitter for iphone, and i am confused in whether i should send original IR code or Pronto format. NEC is using 32-bit code, and RC-5 uses 14-bit long code. When i actually send IR code of play button (of Apple remote), what should i send, whether it should be 32-bit NEC code of that button or should i convert it into pronto format first, and then transmit that pronto code to IR receiver...

Best regards,
Abdul Qavi

The answer is, that you will not send either of the 2 of which you spoke. Pronto hex is protocol independent explicit description of the on/off burst pairs, but you still have to translate that into something that turns the burst on and off at the times specified by the pronto hex. NEC and RC5 are specific protocols that each have their own specification for how to translate from the simple bytes to actual on/off times.

If you go the Pronto hex route, you will need to have a way to deal with toggle codes (RC5 and others), though it is otherwise a fairly universal method. If you go with protocol specific translators, you may be taking on a massive task, as there are literally thousands of different unique protocols that all need to be dealt with separately.

A.A.
aqavi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What IR code to send to receiver?protocol commands or pr Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
aqavi wrote:
Hi,

Best regards,
Abdul Qavi

The answer is, that you will not send either of the 2 of which you spoke. Pronto hex is protocol independent explicit description of the on/off burst pairs, but you still have to translate that into something that turns the burst on and off at the times specified by the pronto hex. NEC and RC5 are specific protocols that each have their own specification for how to translate from the simple bytes to actual on/off times.

If you go the Pronto hex route, you will need to have a way to deal with toggle codes (RC5 and others), though it is otherwise a fairly universal method. If you go with protocol specific translators, you may be taking on a massive task, as there are literally thousands of different unique protocols that all need to be dealt with separately.

A.A.

Thank you so much cauer. I am fairly newbie in IR, and don't have much background in it. I understand RC-5 and NEC protocols, but don't want to handle each protocol separtely. I want to go the other way, the pronto hex route, as you say the universal method.
Would you please give me an example of how to make pronto from NEC/RC-5, and would that pronto be understandable by IR receiver? I actually have another question, i.e., whether IR receiver understands on/off burst pairs of pronto hex or actual protocol like NEC/RC-5. Take an example of Apple Mac remote. When we press the button, say play button, what does Apple Mac actually receive? Whether it is on/off burst pairs of pronto or on/off pairs of 32-bit NEC code???
Best regards,
Abdul Qav
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to get a much deeper understanding of how remote control signals work before you can proceed with your project.

The pronto hex is just a way of telling the IR "transmitter" what signal to send, the IR "receiver" doesn't care what you used to generate the signal as long as it's correct.

So, first things first, you should do some reading on the pronto format so you understand what it is, as you'll need to write some code to interpret it and convert it into an infrared signal.

Start here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infrared_Signals

Your first draft of your program should just handle "raw" pronto hex (ie, where the first word is "0000").

Your next draft could handle the custom pronto formats (ie, where the first word is NOT "0000").
aqavi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I think you need to get a much deeper understanding of how remote control signals work before you can proceed with your project.

The pronto hex is just a way of telling the IR "transmitter" what signal to send, the IR "receiver" doesn't care what you used to generate the signal as long as it's correct.

So, first things first, you should do some reading on the pronto format so you understand what it is, as you'll need to write some code to interpret it and convert it into an infrared signal.

Start here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infrared_Signals

Your first draft of your program should just handle "raw" pronto hex (ie, where the first word is "0000").

Your next draft could handle the custom pronto formats (ie, where the first word is NOT "0000").

Thank you so much....
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: