JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How long does it take you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: How long does it take you? Reply with quote

I've moved all my equipment around in the last few weeks, I added DTAs a DVR and a new TV. It took me almost a month to get all 8 viewing areas up and running seemlessly. I finally had to add an extender to even the simplest setup in to get the channel punch through for the dtas. That got me to thinking and I thought I'd ask how things go for the rest of you.

How long does it take you before you can "archive" a new OEM remote?

Do you drag your feet, so that your family suffers so they might appreciate your efforts?

Does your family appreciate your effort?

Does your family support your JP1 hobby (illness)?

Do you use any unextended remotes?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does it take you? Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

About an hour. The family never even sees the OEM remote.

Quote:

Do you drag your feet, so that your family suffers so they might appreciate your efforts?

No

Quote:

Yes, but if I want to change to a new way of doing things - they get upset.

Quote:

Somewhat, but not if I am doing it all night

Quote:

No

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, It usually takes me a good week of juggling before I can set up a jp1 remote, and then probably 4 or 5 more tweaks before I get it so that my family can't break the setup (that is get themselves into a situation where there isn't a 1 button fix to get themselves out of a mess.

I feel so mean and petty. I try to make them suffer with the OEM remotes for a while so that they see how easy I've made it for them. Their anomosity towards the hobby is so great that I don't think they'll ever admit how much I've simplified their lives with the remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: How long does it take you? Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Usually a couple of hours. I'm like xnappo, they don't see the OEM remote except for the initial power up and testing that the device works Wink

vickyg2003 wrote:

If I did this, I'd get lots of heat. I just spend the time and get things working.

vickyg2003 wrote:

Back in the beginning they complained. Once they figured it out that all the remotes in the house looked and worked the same, independent of the equipment, they were happy and appreciate the effort

vickyg2003 wrote:

Yes! My wife got me a widget for my birthday 2 years ago!

vickyg2003 wrote:

I have one unextended remote out of 4 viewing areas. it's just too simple a setup (TV + DTA) to require it, ie. no macros or input switching of any kind.

Best,
jeff
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does it take you? Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
The OEM remote gets the JP1 treatment as soon as the device is set up or even as it is being set it up - for a TV or PVR that means whilst it is busy scanning for broadcast channels. Upgrade then goes into a URC8820 for immediate trial and then to another 8820 and an 8910 pretty soon thereafter for general use. Button codes get copied to a spreadsheet containing all my remotes - past and present - along with a picture of the remote obtained on my old Umax Astra 4500 scanner (its sensors are good at giving a 3D image of small objects).

vickyg2003 wrote:
The idea had never occurred to me Twisted Evil

vickyg2003 wrote:
They don't even notice until a remote runs out of batteries. Or maybe even when the JP1 remote AND the OEM remote have run out of batteries.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Yes, but then some of them play that daft farm game on Facebook so I'm the normal one around here.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Yes, I use a URC-7562 B00 to scan the IR signals into as I like its chunky buttons and it's easy to operate when being held at a funny angle. I can also have it plugged into the parallel port at the same time as a URC-8820 is plugged into a serial port (I suspect that you could do this with USB? but I don't have any USB interfaces).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, are you ever organized. Even a picture!

Perhaps you can get your wife to buy you a widget the way jeff's wife did.
If I had to learn my last remote via a learning remote I'd be crying. I bought these iview 2000stb boxes and they don't respond well to the remote. It turns out that only about every fifth or sixth button push actually sends the Nec1 signal, the rest of the time it sends some unknown protocol . Its a pretty nice box with the JP1 remote but the oem remotes just plain don't work.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly a couple hours, although I have not sat down and got the FTA and Pioneer DVD remote properly working.

The OEM remote "archive" is just a drawer in the lounge I keep some media and accessories.

The family does not care really. Only I use the A/V system I have the 8820 on.

I do not use extenders. I am fine without using one.
zacster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm going to find out. I've ordered the cable and adapter from Tommy, and I'm going to resurrect the 8910 that we used for years before all the old equipment started getting swapped in the last 6 months.

My family always used the 8910 and they must have found it intuitive as they didn't complain. One press macros to have the required equipment on and switched to the proper inputs, with the remote in the proper state to control the most used features like volume, channel, pause, ff, rew... I have bigger challenges now though with the DVR, Netflix, all the other streaming services, and my wireless DLNA media server to an Oppo 93. I'll see how seamless I can make it.

I've never used an extender, but I may on this attempt as I never liked using the M buttons on the remote. I'd rather do power on as maybe a long press on the device button, or maybe group them so that CD/DVD controls the Oppo, one as device select, one as power all on.

Back to the original question, this'll take a few weeks of testing I'm sure.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacster wrote:
I've never used an extender, but I may on this attempt as I never liked using the M buttons on the remote. I'd rather do power on as maybe a long press on the device button, or maybe group them so that CD/DVD controls the Oppo, one as device select, one as power all on.

Extenders are the best! Unfortunately there isn't a good tutorial on how to get the most out of an extender.

I was forced, kicking and screaming, into using an extender because I ran out of keymove macro space. After much public whining Embarassed Laughing I was finally able to get the extender up and running and my remote. I was very happy with the control I gained over my entertainment center. However, my favorite remote didn't have an uptodate extender so I took on the task of updating it. Fortunately for me, ElizabethD helped me by becoming my tester. In working with her test files, I found that there was so much more that a remote could do.

Unfortunately it is really difficult to give examples that are relevent because its all so equipment specific.

A lot of people are missing out on the extender experience because it takes a lot of reading and studying to figure out how they work.

You need to download a few more pieces of software and read, read, read.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: