JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6131 Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
If you do install the extender software, I don't remember whether the 2k eeprom is absolutely required or merely much better than the 1k. I'm sure that answer is available in the extender folder and in other threads on the 6131.

1K extender readme describes the serious limitations of 1K (in my opinion serious) in that there's just not enough space. So it requires real squeezing of things.
Important special protocols, therefore, are provided as text files to pick and fit. I ran out of space in no time.

From the readme file:
Quote:
BASIC FEATURES:
===============

You can put a Macro or KeyMove on any key.
Macros can be Nested.
Macros are fast.
Very flexible device selection.
Included special protocols for:
Device Specific Macros
Optional special protocols for:
Pause, Device Multiplexer,
ToadTog, Long/Double Key Press
Optional second shift key.
A 1K-byte EEPROM imposes some limitations when using this extender.
The unextended remote provides 225 bytes for keymoves/macros,
and 760 bytes for upgrades.

This extender uses as little of the EEPROM as possible, but
unavoidably ends up providing less space for keymoves and
upgrades. The available EEPROM space is apportioned as follows:

365 bytes for keymoves/macros, using 29 bytes for the default
device-key macros, leaving 336 bytes for other keymoves and
macros.

266 bytes for upgrades, using 30 bytes for the extender
activation device & protocol, leaving 236 available for
special protocols and user device & protocol upgrades.

SPECIAL PROTOCOLS
=================
Because of the limited space available in a 1K EEPROM, the special protocols
that are normally included with extenders for other remotes are not pre-loaded
in this extender, with the exception of the built-in Device Specific Macro
special protocol.

However, the device upgrades and protocol upgrades are included in the individual
files describing each protocol, and they can be installed in IR.EXE as required.

This extender includes the following special protocol:

TV/1103 = Device specific Macro
(Built-in pseudo device. Not visible in IR.exe)

Optionally, you may install any of the following special protocols:

TV/1101, protocol 1FE = Device Multiplexer
TV/1104, protocol 1FB = Pause
TV/1106, protocol 1F9 = Long/Double Key Press
VCR/1800, protocol 181 = ToadTog

Kilokahn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my remote back and indeed it does have a JP1 and it's a 6131B00. Though I can guarentee it's not the one I had, this one is new or refurbished. Though it does have a JP1. So my next step is to get a JP1 programmer... Though, it goes back to my main point, what is the point of me getting a JP1? Just because this remote can't handle having every code? I am a bit confused about that still.

Thanks!
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions, but the first use of a JP1 cable would be to download from the remote and save it. This will get the information on the upgrade in a secure form just in case a full factory reset accidentally happened or the remote got damaged.

An upgrade created from the eeprom data can then be used in other remotes (and shared with others by uploading the RM or KM file here in case it has not been done before). Buttons can be reassigned to more logical locations. Additional functions may be discovered and added. And all the other JP1 stuff you can do.
geobrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 6131 Reply with quote

PhileFriendly wrote:
For what it's worth, I just sent in a URC-6131B00 about 2 weeks ago and I got back the exact same remote (except with the JP-1 plug) as far as I can tell.

Me too. I mailed my 6131n back a few months ago and got the same model back with the JP1 connector. I built the simple parallel interface described in this site somewhere and performed an upgrade without a problem.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you build me one too? Are they very expensive or is it just cheaper to buy one from a store?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilokahn wrote:
Can you build me one too? Are they very expensive or is it just cheaper to buy one from a store?

You can't buy them from stores as this is a home-made user driven project. The "Simple" parallel cable is very easy to make, but buying the parts isn't that cheap unless you buy them in bulk, so unless you already have the parts lying around, you're probably not saving that much making one yourself over buying one from the JP1 vendors like DIYgadget.com (who charge $14).
geobrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilokahn wrote:

Thanks!

As The Robaman said, it's cheaper to buy one from the DIYgadget.com

I had the parts lying around. I had the 1k ohm resistors from like 15 years ago when radio shack sold them in a 5 pack for 39 cents. Same with the diode. For the connectors I used an old parallel cable that I haven't used in years. I had to tear through the molded shell and RTV to get to the actual connector. For the 6 pin connector I used a 10 pin connector for hooking up some extra USB ports from an old PC motherboard. The ten pin connector actually works well with the 6131n because it forces it to line up with 6 pins in the middle part of the connector. It took several hours to pull it all together. I just did it myself because I could. If I was to do it again, I'd probably buy one.
yyz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Have brand new 6131n Reply with quote

Hello Robman (or others), I just opened a new 6131n from the blisterpack and found no pins. Extremely disappointed to say the least.

I have the pins but not confident in the eeprom replacement.

Update - I installed the 6pin header and checked for shorts, etc...all seems good.
When interfacing with IR I'm getting the "SDA is being held low" error (tried every new/old/reversed battery config possible but no luck).
Of course I haven't installed an EEPROM yet and looking at the various models to chose from (mouser.com) I'm not seeing where it would install on the PCB....

The 6131n is the bomb in my opinion because most of the button labels are intuitive and it's the least cryptic to operate 8 different A/V devices with.....the high WAF makes it the only JP1 remote I own!

Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone is still modifying these remotes for a fee, I'd consider that too.

Thanks for all you do Robman!
IR v. 7.15
KM v. 9.19
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this article?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6649

I noticed from your signature that you seem to be using obsolete software. I would strongly recommend updating to IR 8.03 and the latest version of KM. Also RM/RMIR has matured quite a bit this last year and should be investigated.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this remote which of the cables from DIYGadget do I need?

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables.html

Thanks,

Chris
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For eeprom remotes you need an EEPROM cable. The 6131N is the last of the EEPROM remotes.

However the 8820N which looks very similar to the 6131N, is a flash cable with the pins already in, and
http://www.crispdeals.com/One_For_All_URC8820N_p/dbl-t55970.htm

Flash remotes have a huge advantage over EEPROM remotes. The 8820 is a learner, the 6131N is not. The 8820 has the pins already installed. The 6131N does not. The 8820 has more keymove space, more upgrade space and has learning memory that can be used for an extender.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2590
yyz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I wasn't aware of those links (not sure why I didn't see them come up in my searches).

I'll have to get a much finer soldering gun for this one and will be getting the latest version of KM and IR.

Thank you all for the JP1 site support over the years.

Sincerely,
IR v. 7.15
KM v. 9.19
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheap iron that I bought from Radio Shack, it has a fine "pencil tip" type tip that is perfect for soldering EEPROMs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: