JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScope decodes of panasonic protocols/ input to RM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: IRScope decodes of panasonic protocols/ input to RM? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm trying to make an upgrade from scratch for my new panasonic plasma 50ST30. My atlas 1056 is unable to learn the signals. No problem - I have an IRwidget (VERY COOL DEVICE). I installed the latest version of IRScope (easy to do) and start recording signals.

Here's what I get for the "1" key (summarized):
frequency = 36578
protocol = Panasonic
device = 128.0
key = 16
Hex = F7

and some other stuff about Misc, start and end that looks ok. So far so good.

In RM I choose the panasonic combo protocol and enter 128 as the device number. On the functions tab, I need two byes for the Hex, but only have F7. I have 0 for the subdevice from the second number in 128.0.

How do I get the OBC for this command from what I know? Or how do I know how to compute the full two bytes of the hex command?

Best and thanks,
jeff
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Looking at the display in IRScope 2.01, I see Frequency, Protocol, Device, OBC, and Hex. That's filled in as 37000, Panasonic 128.0, 16, and F7. So where you seem to have a heading that says "key", I have "OBC".

Anyway, Pansonic keeps their IR signals fairly constant over time and models, and the digit "1" is 128.0, OBC 16 for just about any Panasonic TV.

You probably don't need to learn many signals, other than something like "Internet" or "BD". The rest of them are very likely the same as most other Panasonic TVs, and so you should be able to start with an existing upgrade. Here's how I located a good candidate:
Assuming that you want to use the Panasonic Combo executor, I opened JP1-Master-1.07.xls and scrolled down to Category TV and Brand Panasonic. I chose the newest upgrade (largest ID number) that uses the Panasonic Combo executor. [Or, I could have clicked on the arrow by the Protocol heading and selected Panasonic Combo. That gives a shorter list of candidates.]

I'll bet that upgrade has most of what you need, and you won't need to learn many buttons.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: IRScope decodes of panasonic protocols/ input to RM? Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to make an upgrade from scratch for my new panasonic plasma 50ST30. My atlas 1056 is unable to learn the signals. No problem - I have an IRwidget (VERY COOL DEVICE). I installed the latest version of IRScope (easy to do) and start recording signals.

Here's what I get for the "1" key (summarized):
frequency = 36578
protocol = Panasonic
device = 128.0
key = 16
Hex = F7

Jeff are you sure you have the latest version 2.01. I remember old versions of irscope said key instead of OBC, but mine now has the label OBC.

You want to make absolutely sure you have the latest IRScope version, because Graham added so much functionality in those last few releases.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Both of you are absolutely right. Most what what I need is already in an existing upgrade and I need to just add a few more keys (Viera tools, 3D, netflix, etc.) AND I had version 2.00 instead of the latest 2.01. I think I was directed to the old link from the IRWidget pdf.

I've downloaded 2.01 and now have the OBC column. I think I'm good to go. Also, who can't resist playing with the IRWidget? My wife was laughing at me last night when I was geeking out on how cool it was.

Best,
jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your preaching to the choir here. I LOVE my widget. It is what finally got me over the mental block of trying to figure out how to build protocols. Rob must have worked with me for 4 years and I was TOTALLY CLUELESS as to what the numbers were trying to tell me. With in days of getting the widget I understood at least that part of it. (Still can't decode to save my life) The widget takes the guess work out of whether or not a signal is going to work when you are using protocol builder. If the pictures match your good to go!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick try to capture a signal. The widget's led is stuck on, after I click capture, and irscope says make sure you've selected the correct port or begin capturing within 5 seconds. I've tried both autodetect (in advanced) and manually selecting com10 that shows up in the device manager in IRscope so I think I've got the problem lies with the driver (maybe?).

I also manually uninstalled the driver using the gui uninstaller pointed out in the irwidget pdf and reinstalled, BUT I reinstalling I used the automagic windows installer that goes out and finds "the right" driver.

The device manager looks find. No exclamation pointed items or unknowns. under ports (com and lpt) I have 2 RIM (research in motion) ports and the USB serial port (COM10).

Am I still not using the correct driver? under driver info in device manager, it shows FTDI as provider, date 3/18/2011 and version 2.8.14.0 build by WinDDK. So that looks right also.

What am I overlooking?

Best,
jeff
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the clue is that you say the widget's LED is stuck on. When I first got my widget I thought it was faulty, as that was happening to me, too. But it was ambient light that was responsible. It was seeing the ceiling-mounted light in my study and that was making it permanently ON. I now have my widget upside down, so the LED shows on the end and the bottom. It makes it more difficult to aim the remote at it, but it solves the problem.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
... But it was ambient light that was responsible. It was seeing the ceiling-mounted light in my study and that was making it permanently ON. ...

Fantastic! I had it face away from the window and lowered the blinds a bit and now it works!. Thanks mathdon.

Best,
jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the newer rectangular widget I have that problem too. Here in Florida I can only capture signals after the sun goes down, or in the windowless bathroom if I'm desperate. Rolling Eyes Even if I drop the shades, I get too much light to do a decent capture.

Fortunately I also have the old style widget which allows me to capture the signals in high light situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: