JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any table for the Key sets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie_bowers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Any table for the Key sets? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a table that shows what buttons belong to which key sets? (PIP, Menu, Channel, Volume, Transport, Other).
Some are obvious, but others are not.

-Eddie
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be noted in the readme file.
JohnParks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages of key groups? Maybe for native code, but for upgades they seem like just something else to keep up with in debuging process. I mean couldn't key moves do the some thing more clearly?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key sets are the central aspect of the "HT" (Home theater) feature, so I think you're really asking what are the advantages of HT.

What I call "static HT" could be accomplished more flexibly and maybe more intuitively as a big pile of KeyMoves. HT has the advantage over that pile of KeyMoves that it needs less eeprom space.

An example of "static HT" is having one button you can press to select something like a device mode in which your transport keys operate your VCR, your volume keys operate your Amp, your channel keys operate your cable tuner, and your pip keys operate your TV.

What I call "dynamic HT" cannot be accomplished reasonably with a pile of KeyMoves.

An example of dynamic HT is having a device key for your DVD and another for your VCR and of course pushing either one selects the device for your transport keys (and probably other keys), BUT subsequently pushing another device key (such as TV) that has no transport functions, will leave the transport keys associated with either VCR or DVD, whichever was selected last.

I have a moderately large need for dynamic HT, since my remote controls two TV's, each of which has two VCRs connected and two (of the four) VCRs are identical. So when I press a TV device button, I don't want the remote to forget which of two VCRs I was using last, and when I press the button for the VCR that I have two of, I don't want the remote to forget which TV I was using last. All the devices have menu commands (that aren't used as often as basic commands) so pressing any device key selects the menu commands for that device.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnParks wrote:
What are the advantages of key groups? Maybe for native code, but for upgades they seem like just something else to keep up with in debuging process. I mean couldn't key moves do the some thing more clearly?
The advantage of key groups is with device button assignements. Example: On the Home Theater button of a remote you may want all of the cable buttons active for Menu, channel and power for cable, receiver for volume but for some reason you want the VCR transport buttons and TV Pip buttons available. With key groups you can do that. with something like this (depending on the extender)

M_CBL;C_CBL;O_CBL;V_RCVR;T_VCR;P_TV
JohnParks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I see your point. The urc-6131 probably does not qualify as a HT romote since it only has three groupings. Can these groupings be changed/increased? I don't recall seeing anything in the doc's about this with the 6131 extender.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnParks wrote:
Thanks guys, I see your point. The urc-6131 probably does not qualify as a HT romote since it only has three groupings. Can these groupings be changed/increased? I don't recall seeing anything in the doc's about this with the 6131 extender.
Any button could be used as an HT button and defined as such with the group commands.

Yes, it is possible to add more groups but from what I remember it was done that way to conserve buttons. Each button group takes 7 button hex values and there may not have been enough left in the 6131. If I remember correctly it was a choice of more group buttons or more devices and Hal went for the devices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: